What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think, and I could be wrong, that we currently pay about $200 a month for cable and internet bundled together. We do not have any premium channels and do not watch live sports. It’s mystifying to me why it’s so high. All I want is a DVR box, access to the free broadcast networks, and basic cable channels like BBC America, Paramount Network (formerly Spike), AMC, TCM and Comedy Central. You’d think that you could get that done for $100.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it may be so high because BBC America doesn’t come in most basic package.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think it may be so high because BBC America doesn’t come in most basic package.

If you have a pretty specific group of channels you need then something like SlingTV might work for you depending on the cost of your Internet service alone -- my phone/internet/TV is substantially lower than yours already even with zero current promotions. If you could do your current Internet for $60-80 per month then I'm sure you could come up with a huge savings chunk.

Of course if you call and start talking with the CableCo about your options of Internet only service they might cut you a huge deal anyway for 6 or 12 months. Even better, if you have access to other good local internet providers then you could probably come up with a deal to cut your cost in half if you rotate providers or even seriously threaten to move.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
In fact some areas you can't even put a satellite dish in your yard or on your house due to neighborhood ordinances. Some want all homes around them to have clean yards without any clutter or items like that at all.
While personally not a fan I thought the satellite companies challenged this years ago and it became illegal to prevent dish installations, even in apartments.

Yes, you can get a good indoor HD local TV antenna, but then you must either sit it on a stand or mount to a wall. Another ugly device if you want a clean flatpanel wall mounted look. Assuming that was OK, you still have to make sure it's in a good area for reception, trust me I know. If you want locals in other rooms, that means more ugly antennas and chances are you won't get good reception or any in some of those places.

I have six TV's and a feed to my HTPC. They are all fed by an external OTA antenna I installed on my rear deck and distributed through the very same cables Comcast or the like would use for their services. It takes a good deal of initial work to get this up and running but I get over 60 channels [of varying interest and uniqueness] absolutely free. I would say there are at least 15 distinct and interesting channels and [since they are uncompressed] the quality is better than anything Dish or Direct can offer.

By the time I would buy my internet and steaming service, add antennas, etc. I was actually paying $25/month more than what I could get a bundle for even when the 12/mo promo price expired.

You're right of course. For the vast majority this is the rub. My company pays for my Internet so [for now anyway] I escape this trap. Even when that is not the case though, I'll pay more for Internet to avoid the bundling scam.

I recently assisted the parents of one of my wife's friends in "divorcing" AT&T. They went from almost $200.00/month for a bloated bundle to about $60.00/month for basic Internet. I set them up with Basic Talk VOIP phone service [approx $12.00/month] and spent about $50.00 for a few indoor antennas since they weren't overly concerned with aesthetics and I wanted to keep it simple.

Again, I think you're generally correct. To truly "cut the cord" requires diligence, work, commitment and possibly sacrifice but it can be done. For most, the same or less effort could be used to stay on top of Comcast, AT&T and their sneaky price increases. As always, convenience will never be cheap.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As far as I know, I only have this one option.

Regarding threatening to cancel, we’ve done that before, and they’ve then given us promotional rates for a few months which then expire. Last time we complained about the bill, they didn’t budge. And honestly, I don’t want to be on a merry-go-round of discounted and constantly changing pricing. I think that’s what gets me most. I just want to agree on one price and stick with it. I don’t want to have to stay on top of it at all times.

Actually, my provider (Spectrum, formerly Time Warner Cable) has just been ordered to stop doing business in my state due to them not following through on the agreements they made in order to be allowed to buy Time Warner. So we’ll see what happens there.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I think, and I could be wrong, that we currently pay about $200 a month for cable and internet bundled together. We do not have any premium channels and do not watch live sports. It’s mystifying to me why it’s so high. All I want is a DVR box, access to the free broadcast networks, and basic cable channels like BBC America, Paramount Network (formerly Spike), AMC, TCM and Comedy Central. You’d think that you could get that done for $100.

It can...
  1. Use a HTPC. Free DVR service with most client software. Yes there is an initial investment of time and money but it will easily pay for itself over the course of a year or so.
  2. Drop the bundle and get one of the current "skinny packages" such as You Tube TV or Sling.
  3. I believe you already have Netflix. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
...and there are saps like me who have just about everything (Spectrum cable, internet, landline, most of their movie packages AND a few subscription streaming services), love it, and won't give any of it up! HA! :)
LOL - You're not a "sap" as long as you understand your options and can afford the choices you ultimately make.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
John, It’s frustrating because I watch so little, but what I watch I don’t want to give up. (And my wife has her own set of non-negotiables that are different from mine.) Hulu Live and YouTube Live are $40 each per month and have the best options for what I’d like, but each is missing something vital that the other has. But if I spent $80 on both services, that’s not really saving anything from where I am now. Sling TV doesn’t offer most of what I’d like to have.

Setting up a HTPC is not an option for me at this time. Nor is setting up an antenna.

I really do think that cable is my best option at this time, but it’s still too expensive for what I want to watch.

Above all, I don’t want this to be a hassle, and it looks like all options are a hassle. Dealing with the cable company and trying to control their pricing is a hassle. Trying to figure which blend of services could replace them is hassle. Having to keep track of multiple streaming services is a hassle.

I can understand why many people my age and younger just find everything they want via illegal torrent downloading. I average only about one program per channel on the channels I do watch. If I watched more programs but on fewer channels, this would be easier. If I didn’t mind dropping some programs, this would be easier. And with the average length of seasons shortening, while the gap between seasons growing, it’s tough to make any choices because it feels like my stuff is on hiatus more often than not.

I’m sure it’s not easy for exactly these reasons, so that I feel compelled to stick with the status quo.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Setting up a HTPC is not an option for me at this time. Nor is setting up an antenna.

The HTPC is a commitment so I understand that but (if you don't mind me asking) what is your reservation with an OTA antenna?

I’m sure it’s not easy for exactly these reasons, so that I feel compelled to stick with the status quo.
I think this is what it all boils down to. I can easily "afford" cable but I have a problem with gross injustice so I simply refuse to buy it, even if it means sacrificing certain channels. Don't get me wrong, I understand and respect your choices but the Cable, Telco and Sat companies do their research and know the market will [collectively] accept their larceny which is why it continues.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Can’t do OTA because I live in an apartment building and do not have the ability to install one on the roof and then run cabling down to my first floor apartment.

I’m not sure whether my TV has a digital tuner so that may be an extra cost.

And since I’m rarely home to watch TV live, then I’d need to come up with a DVR solution as well.

And for all I know, the reception here might be terrible. Cell service is awful in my building, and good wi-fi doesn’t even make it through the walls here. I’m skeptical that I’d get a decent signal but I could be totally wrong there.

If I’m ever a homeowner, I’d be happy to investigate those options, but I don’t think they’re practical at this moment for me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm going in this week to return the three cable boxes and get rid of cable. I already confirmed with the in store rep there are no early termination fees and I can do it. I can and my bill drops by about $40.

Quite simply, I don't watch TV. I stream, I pop a movie or TV show into the 4k player. I got the cable for the ex when he moved in and now that he's gone, there's no point in it.

I will use that savings on CBS All Access later in the year and the Disney streaming channel when that comes out, though.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, maybe I should just go for it. 12 episodes of a few shows that air every other year probably aren’t enough to justify the expense.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Youtube is an amazing source of information and videos on things you never knew you wanted to know about. And the best part is it's free. I can literally spend hours a night on YouTube and never get bored.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Me too. We call it “falling down the rabbit hole” here!

I think my big hang up is probably psychological. Having cable makes me feel connected to the world, knowing that I could turn the TV and just see what’s happening out there. I just don’t feel the same about internet or streaming, but I recognize that I’m not necessarily making a sensical argument.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Can’t do OTA because I live in an apartment building and do not have the ability to install one on the roof and then run cabling down to my first floor apartment.

I’m not sure whether my TV has a digital tuner so that may be an extra cost.

And since I’m rarely home to watch TV live, then I’d need to come up with a DVR solution as well.

And for all I know, the reception here might be terrible. Cell service is awful in my building, and good wi-fi doesn’t even make it through the walls here. I’m skeptical that I’d get a decent signal but I could be totally wrong there.

If I’m ever a homeowner, I’d be happy to investigate those options, but I don’t think they’re practical at this moment for me.

Understood, however...

Indoor antennas are cheap. If the reception sucks, simply return it. Similarly, once you connect the antenna, run a channel scan. If [unlikely - unless it was purchased before 2009] your TV lacks an ATSC tuner you'll know immediately.

DVR service can be added quite cheaply these days. Here is just one option.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...V0Y-zCh1xQwywEAQYAyABEgKAL_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I do get where you're coming from. If it ain't broke...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
John, It’s frustrating because I watch so little, but what I watch I don’t want to give up. (And my wife has her own set of non-negotiables that are different from mine.) Hulu Live and YouTube Live are $40 each per month and have the best options for what I’d like, but each is missing something vital that the other has. But if I spent $80 on both services, that’s not really saving anything from where I am now. Sling TV doesn’t offer most of what I’d like to have.

Single choice Internet reduces the threat to quit especially now. I really didn't mind calling once a year to renegotiate the deal, but once Spectrum took over TWC that seemed to kill any lee-way -- if U-verse was a real competitor locally I could almost certainly keep my bill close to $100. I will be extremely interested in seeing what NY does with that lawsuit since it's very likely to filter down to some of the rest of us.

The big thing is to get your list of non-negotiable stations as your starting point and seeing what works. Some of DirecTV Now and Sling bundles come really close to my needs, but like you nothing less than $80-90 per month hits the minimum level.

I've had an OTA setup for decades (antenna in the attic) which would work for the locals

I had both DirecTV (often with Premier and Sports packages) and TWC cable (mostly for the rest of the house and Wife simplicity needs) for nearly 20years until I retired early. At that point then DirecTV had to be sacrificed as well as backing the Internet back to 60 from 200/300 after the College age kids moved on. Currently on Spectrum with a grandfathered TWC triple play bundle with multiple lifetime TIVOs. I looked at unbundling things and there's just really no way in my situation to get cheaper even with Frankensteining 5 different things together.

MLB and College Football addiction really limits where you can go. MLB.TV is a distant poor cousin to DirecTV MLB Package when I could instantly switch between 6 games at no loss in quality -- I'm trying it again on the half season cheap plan and it works better on my ROKU, but it's still a poor 2nd cousin to DTV Extra Innings. SEC Channel. Fox Sports, CBS Sports Channel, ESPN/2/U are mandatory during College Football season. I had Big10 and Pac12 for several years on DirecTV and really miss Big10, but nearly impossible to get in NC in any quality.

The anti Sat Dish/Antenna issue is a non-starter argument for 99% Homeowners. Legally no HOA or Local ordinance could stop you UNLESS you are in an historic district (or condo/apartment where the outside is not yours). For a Private Residence if a HOA wanted to try to ban/fine you, they're just flat out going to lose and spend a lot of money losing. Line of Sight issues and personal decision is just about the only limiting factor. Rain Fade/Weather disruption for a properly tweaked dish is 100:1 better for DirecTV than any CableTV system even in the southeast thunderstorm zone.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
John, It’s frustrating because I watch so little, but what I watch I don’t want to give up. (And my wife has her own set of non-negotiables that are different from mine.)

Similar sentiments here, though with very different reasons.

The people I live with have non-negotiables which are channels from the old country, available on some cable systems. Mostly channels in german and hebrew (or yiddish).

Without these german/hebrew/yiddish channels, most likely they would just sit around all day doing nothing or sleeping in bed all day.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s funny, my wife watches more on cable than I do by a lot, but she seems more in favor of getting rid of it. But she’s also the kind of person (and I say this as a compliment) that can find something on anything. So, when I subscribed to Showtime just for Twin Peaks: The Return, she watched original Showtime programming, but never complained when I dropped it.

Cable could very easily keep me for life if they’d just scale back slightly on the greed. I am willing to pay a little more than necessary for convenience and for not having to figure out multiple products and services, but I think it’s ballooned out of control lately, and with no end in sight.

The irony gods have to be amused that the person who watches the least amount of cable in the house is the one most obsessed with keeping cable.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Cable could very easily keep me for life if they’d just scale back slightly on the greed. I am willing to pay a little more than necessary for convenience and for not having to figure out multiple products and services, but I think it’s ballooned out of control lately, and with no end in sight.

Probably the best overall summation I've heard.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
While personally not a fan I thought the satellite companies challenged this years ago and it became illegal to prevent dish installations, even in apartments.

Not correct at all as I looked into this. Apartments are not your personal property, therefore they can dictate any rules they want and most of the more upscale ones I have seen won't allow any modifications. You are given a "residents handbook" and it lists the cable company you must use, times at night when you can't have loud music/tv, etc. But that's going a bit down a rabbit hole not on topic. Just think of Frasier and you get the picture. Next, you basically have close to the same rules for certain neighborhoods/communities. The better ones can not only state by law what you can have and not have, but the type of building material, color schemes, brick, stone, etc. you home can be. It's all legal I assure you and people pay a LOT of money for these areas.

I have six TV's and a feed to my HTPC. They are all fed by an external OTA antenna I installed on my rear deck and distributed through the very same cables Comcast or the like would use for their services. It takes a good deal of initial work to get this up and running but I get over 60 channels [of varying interest and uniqueness] absolutely free. I would say there are at least 15 distinct and interesting channels and [since they are uncompressed] the quality is better than anything Dish or Direct can offer.

All I can get is about 20 OTA channels where I live no matter what is done. Sure, you can setup a way to do it like this but it's just another headache to deal with, cost of having the HTPC on and running, etc. Not just a simply always on solution. People want convenience and not all this completed setup stuff to mess with for the most part.

You're right of course. For the vast majority this is the rub. My company pays for my Internet so [for now anyway] I escape this trap. Even when that is not the case though, I'll pay more for Internet to avoid the bundling scam.

I recently assisted the parents of one of my wife's friends in "divorcing" AT&T. They went from almost $200.00/month for a bloated bundle to about $60.00/month for basic Internet. I set them up with Basic Talk VOIP phone service [approx $12.00/month] and spent about $50.00 for a few indoor antennas since they weren't overly concerned with aesthetics and I wanted to keep it simple.

At least with Spectrum, you have no contract and can cancel anytime.

Again, I think you're generally correct. To truly "cut the cord" requires diligence, work, commitment and possibly sacrifice but it can be done. For most, the same or less effort could be used to stay on top of Comcast, AT&T and their sneaky price increases. As always, convenience will never be cheap.

Also, another important factor others overlook is many people have family that either live with them or visit and did not grow up in the computer age of things. If you have relatives in their 70s and up, they just want a remote with on/off, volume up/down, channel up/down and that's it. I have tried several times explaining how they can use my Netflix and such but they don't catch on because they did not grow up with any of this. This is why streaming TV just won't work and never will for some people and families.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.