What's new

CJamesCook

Grip
Real Name
Jim Cook
The one consideration not mentioned was the ability to modified to be region-free.

Is it not correct to say that the Sony players are less amenable to such modification than Panasonic, et al?

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
On the Sony players, if you insert a dolby Vision disc and don’t have DV enabled, I assumed it just uses the HDR10 “layer”? What happens if DV is on and you play a non-DV disc?

im guessing for some reason you can’t just leave DV enabled all the time? Is there impact to audio discs?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
On the Sony players, if you insert a dolby Vision disc and don’t have DV enabled, I assumed it just uses the HDR10 “layer”? What happens if DV is on and you play a non-DV disc?

im guessing for some reason you can’t just leave DV enabled all the time? Is there impact to audio discs?
If you leave the Dolby Vision setting on, the player will apply Dolby Vision to every disc you play - - UHDs with HDR10, BDs, DVDs, etc. It's such a poor design choice, as other manufacturers turn the DV conversion on/off automatically based on the source material.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you leave the Dolby Vision setting on, the player will apply Dolby Vision to every disc you play - - UHDs with HDR10, BDs, DVDs, etc. It's such a poor design choice, as other manufacturers turn the DV conversion on/off automatically based on the source material.
That is so completely bizarre.

Bartman

Second Unit
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I was ready to upgrade to UHD last year but could not find a player small enough. I ended up buying a Sony BDP-S6700 but was disappointed to learn it does not upscale DVD to 4K, just to 2K. I believe the reason for this is, upscaling DVD to 4K might exceed the bandwidth limit of older HDMI cables (or at least cause more player returns). I don't believe any of the UHD players shown so far are the same size or smaller than the S6700. I've been waiting for Sony to come out with a smaller UHD player but realize that may never happen.
An alternative is to replace my Seiki all region player with a full size UHD player with all region capability. I'd prefer factory (rather than after market) all region capability. Do any of the UHD players support this?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Are you sure the Sony X800 M2 supports DVD-A? I own the original X800, and it only supports SACD. I didn't think that Sony ever supported the rival DVD-A format.

This was taken from the Crutchfield description of the 800M2:

Compatible disc format logos

The ultimate disc drive
Want to dance around to your Super Audio CD collection? No problem. If it’s a disc, the UBP-X800M2 will almost certainly be able to play it.
I listen to both SACD and DVD-Audio discs on my X800M2 all the time, and even listened to them on my previous X800 before Sony replaced it for me.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

That is so completely bizarre.
When I was having issues with my X800 players, I was able to get in touch with Sony's engineering department, who actually came out to visit me and check my setup (they actually drove over 10 hours each way). Six months later, they swapped the X800's out for X800M2's. I then asked them about the Dolby Vision issue on the M2 - Why it is a toggle switch that must be manually turned on and off. The response was that it was Dolby's requirement for how DV was implemented on both the X800M2 and X1100ES. I thanked them for the response, but added that other players from Panasonic and Oppo can auto-detect the DV flag on the disc, so Dolby's implementation requirement seemed a bit odd. I never received a follow-up response after that.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I was ready to upgrade to UHD last year but could not find a player small enough. I ended up buying a Sony BDP-S6700 but was disappointed to learn it does not upscale DVD to 4K, just to 2K. I believe the reason for this is, upscaling DVD to 4K might exceed the bandwidth limit of older HDMI cables (or at least cause more player returns). I don't believe any of the UHD players shown so far are the same size or smaller than the S6700. I've been waiting for Sony to come out with a smaller UHD player but realize that may never happen.
An alternative is to replace my Seiki all region player with a full size UHD player with all region capability. I'd prefer factory (rather than after market) all region capability. Do any of the UHD players support this?
The UHD format is region-free, but DVD and Blu-ray are not, so I am unaware of a region-free UHD player that is factory-direct.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
When I was having issues with my X800 players, I was able to get in touch with Sony's engineering department, who actually came out to visit me and check my setup (they actually drove over 10 hours each way). Six months later, they swapped the X800's out for X800M2's. I then asked them about the Dolby Vision issue on the M2 - Why it is a toggle switch that must be manually turned on and off. The response was that it was Dolby's requirement for how DV was implemented on both the X800M2 and X1100ES. I thanked them for the response, but added that other players from Panasonic and Oppo can auto-detect the DV flag on the disc, so Dolby's implementation requirement seemed a bit odd. I never received a follow-up response after that.
Sounds more like a software bug that was cheaper and easier to call a feature than to correct the code.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I listen to both SACD and DVD-Audio discs on my X800M2 all the time, and even listened to them on my previous X800 before Sony replaced it for me.
I didn't think the original X800 supported DVD-Audio. I just checked the specs on the Sony website, and it is listed. I never tried any of my DVD-A discs in the player due to my misconception -- I always used my Oppo 980H player. I will have to give one a try sometime. :cheers:

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for this comparison/review/writeup. I dread the day my Oppos dies, but when they do, I'm glad to see there are at least some good options out there for possible replacement.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure there are any UHD players currently on the market that can be hacked to play region-free DVD and Blu-ray. DVD could possibly just be a software hack (like SuperDisk was for Oppos and others), but I suspect blu-ray compatibility would still have to be accomplished with a hardware mod, due to licencing issues (as it was with Oppo), correct? Then there's the whole "does it support 50i output/does it force a conversion to 60i" thing, too.

Very intrigued by the comment above about a "French company."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cabinguy
Recent bookmarks