What's new

Six Million Dollar Man & The Bionic Woman in HD in 2018 (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This will be interesting to watch. Note there is that Mark Wahlberg film (Six Billion Dollar Man) reportedly coming out sometime late in 2018 as well, so perhaps this Blu-Ray release is supposed to serve as spin off merchandise to support that project.

Of course I have ZERO faith in a revamped movie or series, because the Bionic Woman reboot quickly illustrated they don't understand what made those shows work - charm and chemistry. Mark Wahlberg is NO Lee Majors. That will never work. But I digress.

Hopefully a blu ray release will be properly done and worthy of a second purchase for me. Hopefully, this time, the price will be exceptionally smaller too. I have the Time Life box set and wouldn't trade it for anything. But a blu-ray version today has to service me on an entirely different level and reflect current prices for the series as it sells now. The novelty of it not being available is over.

Of course one last point worth mentioning. Lets be careful what we ask for. The Six Million Dollar Man was never a series intended for high definition, so the production gaffs will be glaring here. Perhaps we'll even see Big Foot's zipper in his fur? With the current box set, my childhood memories are preserved. Not sure what a blu ray picture will do to that. My fingers are crossed.

I'm curious but not really expecting much from this remake either but at least they gave up the awful idea of doing it as a comedy starring Jim Carrey. It was on the drawing board for a few years and I think finally died about 7- 8 years ago.

MarkerB

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
...what made those shows work - charm and chemistry. Mark Wahlberg is NO Lee Majors. That will never work.
Lee Majors is charming and has chemistry?

I was hooked on that show when it came out (I was 9 or so). Rewatching it recently, I was struck with how stiff and uncharming Majors was. Such was a male role model back then, I suppose.

So, as much as I'm not fond of Wahlberg, he might not be a bad match for the role. Other actors always who tend to be stuck in the same emotional gear: Sam Worthington, Vin Diesel, or Christian Bale?

Sorry. I know this has nothing to do with the Blu-ray. I am looking forward to its release in any form.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Lee Majors is charming and has chemistry?

I was hooked on that show when it came out (I was 9 or so). Rewatching it recently, I was struck with how stiff and uncharming Majors was. Such was a male role model back then, I suppose.

So, as much as I'm not fond of Wahlberg, he might not be a bad match for the role. Other actors always who tend to be stuck in the same emotional gear: Sam Worthington, Vin Diesel, or Christian Bale?

Sorry. I know this has nothing to do with the Blu-ray. I am looking forward to its release in any form.
To each his own, but I find it rather odd you'd join just to make that statement. He's still one of the finest actors I've saw on a TV show, and he certainly ups anything Hollywood has to offer today.

MarkerB

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
To each his own, but I find it rather odd you'd join just to make that statement. He's still one of the finest actors I've saw on a TV show, and he certainly ups anything Hollywood has to offer today.
Of course, you're right. Everyone has their perspective.

I probably understated what a rabid fan I was at the time. That's why I jumped in, and my contribution was rather pointless. I'm sorry.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

I probably understated what a rabid fan I was at the time. That's why I jumped in, and my contribution was rather pointless. I'm sorry.
Don’t be scared off by that.
Welcome to HTF.

You’re certainly entitled to your own opinion

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I have to say I also found Lee to be a rather stiff actor. OTOH, he’s one of the most successful TV actors in history, with lead roles in three successful series in three consecutive decades. So what do I know?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)

Nah, you're fine! I probably came off a bit grouchy, so let me apologize. Welcome to HTF and enjoy!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree that I find Lee Majors to be a rather stiff actor, not really very convincing.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have to agree that I find Lee Majors to be a rather stiff actor, not really very convincing.

He wasn’t the strongest actor but he had charisma and good looks and could stand and deliver his lines with conviction.

However, he was good at conveying Steve’s discomfort about his bionics. In the first two seasons, when Steve was kind of struggling with being a “freak,” Lee Majors really sold that.

But then he got bored and the show became about the gimmicks.

Lee Majors was like Gil Gerard, Guy Williams and, bless him, David Haselhoff. A perfect action hero leading man who could be romantic and funny when required.

The heavy lifting, acting wise, was done by others.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
He is kinda stiff. It worked in his favor when he played the (occasionally brooding) bastard son with a checkered past in "The Big Valley." The 6 Million Dollar Man was more gimmick-oriented and not much was required of him, acting-wise, if you ask me. He did come across as charming and fun-loving to a small degree in "The Fall Guy."

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, we were blessed with the relative sensitivity of Lindsay Wagner. What a brave casting job. Even as a kid, I knew she wasn't the usual fluff.

I also liked what Richard Anderson brought to the series. Oh... and he passed away last year.

I still kick myself for not getting Richard Anderson's autograph at the "Bionic Reunion" at a comic con a few years ago. I met Lee Majors, Lindsay Wagner got nice glossies with their autographs, but I passed on paying for an auto with Anderson

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'm curious but not really expecting much from this remake either but at least they gave up the awful idea of doing it as a comedy starring Jim Carrey. It was on the drawing board for a few years and I think finally died about 7- 8 years ago.
Thank God for that idea being killed off. I found the comic remake of Starsky & Hutch a complete travesty and totally sullied the memories of the original TV series. Don’t need my memories Of 6qM$ Man being tarnished as well.

I’ve held off purchasing 6Mil$ complete set hoping for a future well done Blu. Hoping that’s the route they go for this.

And I can deal with the HD “reveals” that a HD release might entail.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I have the Time Life set but I'd probably snatch this up if it looked as good as the Rockford Files blu rays. That was a significant improvement over the DVDs.

I really wish a soundtrack would be released!!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the Time Life set but I'd probably snatch this up if it looked as good as the Rockford Files blu rays. That was a significant improvement over the DVDs.

I didn't realize until now that the Rockford Blus had far better picture quality than the DVDs; had I so realized, I would have tried to get the Blus for my father.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

I really wish a soundtrack would be released!!

Six Million Dollar Man soundtrack, including the music to the Bionic Woman two parter and the The Secret of Bigfoot, is my last big Holy Grail. James

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Six Million Dollar Man soundtrack, including the music to the Bionic Woman two parter and the The Secret of Bigfoot, is my last big Holy Grail. James

Mine too! I can't think of another tv soundtrack I'd want as much. I just wonder if the music still exists.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The music for the first three seasons of The Six Million Dollar Man, after the three TV films, was composed by Oliver Nelson. Much of the iconic music for the show comes from him. He died of a heart attack in 1975. The theme for The Bionic Woman was composed by Jerry Fielding. The majority of the episode scores were done by Joe Harnell. He also composed the music for The Incredible Hulk. The "Lonely Man Theme" played by piano when David Banner would walk along the road at the end of each show is his. Some of his music has been officially released on CD.
https://www.discogs.com/artist/768454-Joe-Harnell

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Mine too! I can't think of another tv soundtrack I'd want as much.

I can think of one: The Amazing Spider-Man (particularly the Stu Phillips score, none of which is known to survive, apart from his theme tune. No idea if the recordings still exist for the pilot film or season two).

Since $6M Man was Universal, I would think it would be an ideal project for intrada.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks