Six Films, One Weekend

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

It has been a while since we got six films released wide in one weekend. The major studios are taking advantage of the upcoming three-day holiday weekend with these films:

The Transporter
    Knockaround Guys
    White Oleander
    The Rules of Attraction
    Brown Sugar
    Tuck Everlasting

At this point, however, no one film really stands out as a must see with White Oleander and Tuck Everlasting getting the better reviews albeit a mixed one at best. I still have not decided which one to see and will probably wait until Friday as to the one will get the most positive consensus in a crowded weekend.

Anyone else in the same boat as I am?

~Edwin

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What upcoming three-day holiday weekend?

Crawdaddy

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Some of us get Columbus Day off, Crawdaddy. [​IMG]
    I've seen all of these but one, so I'll throw my two cents in...
    The Transporter--a ho-hum action film with a couple of good scenes (note, the fight on an oil-slicked floor) but not enough to make an entertaining feature. The main female is terribly underwritten, and her performance is not very good either.
    Knockaround Guys--all you probably need to know is that it's been on the shelf for two years. Vin Diesel appears in a supporting role, not as the main, although the marketers would like you to believe otherwise. Not as bad as I feared but still not good. Some of the characters' actions make no sense within the confines of the story, but you probably expected that.
    The Rules of Attraction--my pick for the tag "avoid at all costs". Roger Avary gets to employ a lot of nifty visual gimmicks, and his mostly teen idol main cast get to sully their images and get some edge. The movie is simply awful, especially the excruciatingly long pre-credits sequence. Gee, college kids can be self-destructive. Tell it to me in an interesting way please. Avary tries everything, and something is bound to connect. Most of it is junk, but he does find a couple moments that work very well.
    White Oleander is an actress showcase, and yes, Michelle Pfeiffer gobbles up the scene's that show how stone cold she can be. She's good and a supporting actress nomination somewhere wouldn't be out of the question. Alison Lohman anchors the film as a daughter bouncing from one place to another after her mother is imprisoned for murdering her boyfriend.
    A good film deftly directed by Peter Kosminsky. (Note: I don't consider this spoiler information but have placed the tag there due to feedback.)
    I saw Tuck Everlasting two months ago, so forgive me if I'm kind of sketchy on the details. Based on the classic children's novel and directed by the guy who made My Dog Skip, Tuck Everlasting is a smart, entertaining film for kids and parents. Questions of mortality are at the forefront, and the topic is handled sensitively and thoughtfully. Great cast too, with William Hurt, Sissy Spacek, and Ben Kingsley for starters.
    I haven't seen Brown Sugar, but FWIW, Ebert and Roeper gave it two thumbs up. Was supposed to see it this morning, but the screening was cancelled.
    Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love is opening in a limited release this weekend. Can't wait to see it in two days.

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I'm in for Tuck Everlasting...

5. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Mark, thanks for your comments. Essentially, that's what I was looking for. Hopefully, you didn't give away a key plot point in your comments for White Oleander.

I also wish Punch-Drunk Love was opening in my area this weekend and that would have been my choice to watch. But, no luck.

Yes, a few are getting Monday off but I'm not one of the lucky ones.

~Edwin

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Oh that holiday.[​IMG] In my entire adult life, I was never off that day so it really never registers on my calendar as a holiday except I don't get any mail that day. I'm only interested in seeing White Oleander based on what I know about the films in question.
    Crawdaddy

7. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Mark
    Thanks for your comments, however was that a spoiler you revealed about White Oleander? I had no idea that was what it was about. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate but perhaps a little editing might help.[​IMG]

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Don't forget Pokemon 4Ever! Although, like that VeggieTales thing, it is apparently not actually opening in Boston/Cambridge/Brookline, but may show up in the suburbs.
    Of course, we're also getting Bloody Sunday, Sex With Strangers, Skins, and Swept Away. Plus some Indian thing called Satin Rouge. With one last chance to see The Seven Samauri at the Brattle (I missed it at the Regent and Coolidge) Friday & Saturday,
    (And the lucky SOBs in NYC/LA get Below, Bowling For Columbine, and Punch-Drunk Love)
    Fortunately, I'm young, single, and without other hobbies, so I can probably see a whole bunch this weekend and even more next week. [​IMG]

9. Mark Pfeiffer

I wouldn't consider it a spoiler for White Oleander since it happens easily within the first half hour of the film and what sets the film in motion. Perhaps I should have said poisoning rather than murdering, since murdering connotes more direct physical violence, I suppose.
    Plus, plotwise the film is not about the guilt or innocence of Pfeiffer's character
    but about what happens to her daughter as she is shuffled around the system of foster homes and juvenile halls.

I can't imagine this film can be described without revealing this information, but if others feel it's too much, I'll place it in a spoiler.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

None of them are too appetitizing to me, so I may skip all of them this weekend.

11. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

It's also Thanksgiving up here in Canada, so maybe that's a reason?

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

My Saturday is already booked for Punch-Drunk Love. [​IMG]
    M.

13. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I'll be seeing White Oleander this weekend. The book is excellent and the casting seems spot on with the exception of Robin Wright Penn who does not fit my mental image of Starr at all. But Robin is a fine actress and I am hoping she does well.

14. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

It looks like White Oleander for me and only because of some potential Oscar nods in the acting category. As with any year, being able to catch as many of these performances is helpful in arriving at an informed decision when the Awards season comes around.

~Edwin

15. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Six films? One weekend? Give me a challenge! [​IMG]
    I believe Victoria also gets Pokemon 4-Ever and Virginia's Run, but I haven't seen a Pokemon film since the first one (that's the lousiest anime I've ever seen), and I'm not that keen on a Canadian horsie movie starring Gabriel Byrne. [​IMG]
    Not to mention I have advances of Formula 51, Igby Goes Down and The Other Side of Heaven during next week. (It's all leading down to PT Anderson on the 18th. [​IMG])
    Hell, I believe Moonlight Mile opens here this weekend, and I'm itching to see it again. [​IMG]
    Jason

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

17. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

for what it's worth, the "spoiler" of WHITE OLEANDER is largely divulged in the trailer.

Not that existence in a trailer means it's not a spoiler or anything, but it's hard to feel compelled to hold yourself to a higher standard of secrecy than the distributor.

18. Stephen R

Stephen R Stunt Coordinator

19. Mark Pfeiffer

Doug, I didn't think it was a spoiler. I caught part of Access Hollywood last night, and that was the first thing they mentioned in describing it.

For those who are getting Punch-Drunk Love this weekend, it's different, that's for sure. I liked it, although I'm still trying to get a handle on it. (Didn't help that whoever built the print put the second reel on so that it was upside down and backwards--thanks for the 20-30 minute delay.) Some people are going to find it very offputting. Very curious to see how this does with audiences (not so well, I expect).