Six Feet Under - "The Secret"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan B, May 6, 2002.

1. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Did everyone stop watching this show? Let's get a discussion going on this week's episode.

2. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

The freshness and fun isn't there this year. Last year the corporate funeral home was the major antagonist this season it seems to be Brenda and the families own darkness for darkness sake. I hope the fun comes back.

3. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

I'll add that Ruths admiration "speech" for Brenda took me by surprise, especially after Brenda blurted out her prior activities.

4. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I don't think Brenda actually blurted out her activities. I think it was a similar situation where Brenda was talking to the therapist. She said it but didn't say it. I could be wrong but that was my impression.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's sort of weird how each episode happens almost in month/episode time.

The opening death didn't quite come full circle in terms of story-arc.

Poor Nate, he can't win. After getting a dose do the Daddy-blues, and cajoling Lisa into allowing him some part of their child's life/upbringing, his constant state of denial (not telling Brenda) tanks Nate in the eyes of Lisa, and she was right in getting the hell out of there.

Ruth is in a totally weird place in her life (as if it could get any weirder). I also have to wonder if Ruth actually heard any of Brenda's confession of sexual hijinks or was it just another bit like her voiceover of the therapist's discourse.

Nikkolai still cracks me up. The consummate batchelor.

Claire being diagnosed in a few minutes for depression by Brenda's father and Ruth's denial of it doesn't bode well for Claire either. Nice jackass teacher she's got there, and nice cheating friend who gets into Yale from getting a SAT surrogate to test the test for her. Why is Claire even hanging out with her anyway?

David is getting yanked around by Keith (was he this bad to David the 1st time around?)

Keith was right in reporting his sister, but for all the wrong reasons. His niece is going to be better off (maybe) if Keith doesn't get belligerent, but I fear he will repeat familial history).

6. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I feel that this years episodes are not up to snuff of last years episodes. Sometimes, as good as series can be, the storylines or the mood, mode and timing may not be there. It is not there so far in these episodes shown. I cannot see this series being nominated for any awards this time around. The first 13 episodes had gusto and "gutso". The "bizarre" mood is missing this year.

7. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I definitely thought that Brenda's confession to Ruth was imaginary. The way the shot pulled in as she was confessing, then snapped back to the beginning as we returned to "reality" was the tip-off.

Judging from the previews (and the "Wake" on the HBO website), Ruth will take the idea that Claire is depressed seriously.

This episode seemed to be more of a plot-advancer than anything else, moving the pieces into position for the season finale in a few weeks. (Bringing Brenda's dad back, spltting up Brenda/Melissa and Ruth/Nikolai, David moving in with Keith, Keith turning in his sister, Lisa shutting out Nate, etc.)

I tend to agree that moving the focus away from the funeral business and more into soap-opera plotlines has been for the worse, but I optimistically view it as a sophomore slump and hope they'll find their bearings in season three. Season two has for me still been well worth watching, if not up to the level of season one.

Ryan

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    It was a great ep, Loved how Brenda turned against Melissa after Ruth's admission of Amiration for her, feeling guilt Eh?

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i thought it was an okay episode...but i like the show so much i have a hard time being critical...but i'm trying not to become complacent!
    the death scene was dumb...had zero tie in to the story. except for the part where david knew exactly what was required for a buddha funeral...that was funny.
    i hate the way keith is treating david. i hope david snaps out of it.
    i think nate is going to be in some deep crud in the next couple of episodes. i think the preview showed him getting served papers from some lawyer? probably in relation to those papers he so stupidly signed without consulting a lawyer first!

the scene where brenda confessed to ruth was DEFINITELY imaginary...can you imagine how ruth would have reacted had she truly heard that? [​IMG]
    i feel so bad for claire sometimes. it seems like she's so "down to earth" and just trying to do her own thing, but she keeps getting shut down. first the teacher dissing her project then her brother yelling at her - although for understandable reasons. i would like to have a girlfriend like her...i think... :b

10. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I definitely think this season is much darker, but that's NOT a bad thing, IMO.

This episode was as brilliant as any this season. I particularly liked the flashes of each character on the brink, each of their storylines coming to a head, as the monks chanted eerily.