Six Feet Under - Season 3 - Music Replacement?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Ringwald, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I'm just curious if anyone has access to the original airings of Six Feet Under: Season 3.

If my memory is correct, season 3 included the Pell Mell instrumental song "Nothing Lies Still Long" over the "previously-on" segments. I believe these started with season 2. All of the season 2 episodes on DVD have them. Low and behold, I popped in season 3 today and much to my surprise, the season 1 recap song was used instead.

I really think the Pell Mell song was used for every episode season 2+. Normally I wouldn't complain so much over a song replacement, but part of the reason we pay 100 bucks a pop for an HBO set is the guarantee of original music and such. Can anyone verify if the song has indeed been replaced? I know I have VHS copies I can check when I'm home in a few weeks...

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Talking about the music (sorry Robert), can anyone ID the music which plays on the Main Menu of S3? There are two of them actually, and I am looking for the second, slower paced one. Is that available anywhere?

Loooooooooooooooooong shot, but it don't hurt to ask [​IMG]

--
    H

3. Robert Ringwald

Let's just make a LIST of all the Six Feet Under problems HBO has delivered us for $100.00 a set.

Season 1's box is huge compared to seasons 2-4 (and likely 5).

All of the Season 3 episodes "previously-on" segments feature replaced music. Season 4's episodes 2-12 are all missing the standard "previously-on" music.

Season 3 episode 2's previously is from episode 1 of that season...

Seasons 3 and 4 are missing the amazing season promos (the family on the top of the building to coldplay's "A rush of blood to the head" from season 3, and the family in the grocery story to nina simone's "feelin' good" from season 4. I have a feeling we'll also be missing the season 5 promo featuring the family driving to sia's "breathe me" as well.

Do all of this problems bother anyone else? It really bothers me to see a studio like HBO claim to be the best at everything and then make so many ridiculous mistakes that are likely involving money. I can't imagine charging 100 a pop for these wouldn't make them a profit if they decided to license the music. This is a real disappointment.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Since all HBO DVD stuff I've seen shrinks the Previously Ons down to a small box, I think it's obvious that HBO doesn't care very much about them. I'm glad that they're on there at all. For me, the show is good so that easily overcomes the fact that Season One's box is too big or that they changed music in a Previously On. The episodes are the same as what aired so I'm happy.

And no one actually pays $100 for any HBO set. [​IMG]

5. Robert Ringwald

True, but even the discount prices are ridiculous for what we're given. I mean, I'm buying them because I love the show, but the $ per episode is a joke compared to other studios.

It just bugs me to see HBO acting all smug regarding their studio. With survey's that ask questions such as "Do you buy products purely because it is an HBO production?" "When you hear or something HBO related, do you automatically assume it's good?" They've clearly let it go to their heads.

Also, the supposed "75 minute series finale" clocked in at an hour and 8 minutes, minus the previously. If HBO considers the previously to be part of the episode running time, then they shouldn't be messing with them.

I guess my complaint is if you're going to charge ridiculous prices for your product, at least keep the original music and don't make such blatant mistakes. I can forgive the missing previously segments on Buffy and Angel because at least FOX doesn't claim to be the savior of television, and they charge 59.99 for 22 episodes. 12 episodes for 99.99 with errors of laziness is just pathetic.