Six Feet Under 8/22/04

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Matt Stone, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I missed the first 10 minutes or so, but I'll catch that later on On Demand. Anyway, overall I thought it was a good episode. A little more up-beat then most of the recent ones. I don't know if I'm happy about the Lisa's ashes things, but I'm interested to see how it plays out. That was pretty kewl seeing David go bad-ass on that guy [​IMG] Lot of pent up rage in that man.

Almost forgot, Brenda's patient calling from on his couch was hilarious. I was laughing for like 10 minutes [​IMG]

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Brenda getting punked by Byron was pretty funny.

As soon as you saw how Nate disposed of Lisa's body in the recap, you knew he was going to get in trouble by using the older cremated ashed. Barb couldn't have been happy to bump into Nate and Brenda at the diner before they flew back to LA.

David turning into Mike Tyson, though you know he's still on edge from his night from hell, it can't look good for him fiscally based on the previews.

George and Ruth are such a strange couple. It's nice to see how Ruth loves George, in spite of his OCD with saving the world's resources.

Rico is in no man's land.

Claire is just drifting, but Billy may change some of that.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

It will be interesting to see how Nate explains Lisa's ashes situation next week. I can't believe there are only two episodes left.

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I suspect that the situation with Lisa's remains will be the primary plot point of the fifth season.

5. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Yeah, I don't see this clearing up in 2 episodes.

Part of me thinks they got Alan Ball back, or he would have probably ended this more wrapped up, at least I would have if I were running the show, and I was leaving it. "They can continue it if they want, but for me, I've told the story I want to tell with these characters..."

I enjoyed the episode a lot, and really disliked how Claire was to Edie, who obviously invested a lot into Claire, only to have her turn around completely with it...

My mom and friend didn't like the Lisa's ashes plot, but I like that they're going to put the business back in danger. With Kroener gone through seasons 3/4 the focus drifted off of the funeral home, and while it's not bad, it didn't make the show seem like anything special.

Remember how funny the 2nd episode dead guy's erection was? Or that nate went on a date with Brenda with the corpse in the back of the van. It was finding out the stories about the home, and the really over the top elements that made the show more than just a drama. It really was something special.

The last few years have gotten away from that style. It's not bad, it's not as original either.

Part of me doesn't feel as bad for David about the incident because he NEEDED to seek therapy, and my guess is if they try to use what happened to him as a reason for explaining how he did what he did... that's exactly what they'll bring up "He should have gotten mental HELP 5 months ago when it happened!"

500,000 bucks? damn...

The baby in the cabinet was funny though.

I wonder who deserves credit for Claire's face picture? Russel took the picture, AND put them on her face. What did she do?

Enjoying Nate and Brenda and Maya, which seems really nice. they're both getting some stability, and here's hoping that Lisa's last wishes don't complicate things too much. It worries me. My mom said it wasn't too believable that the guy checked the ashes... but I see it as likely. If you're him, and you've been doing this for 30 years... and the bones aren't common... then part of me thinks he WOULD notice something like that "I haven't seen bones in the ashes for nearly 20 years..." *thought in his head*

It's not pushing it I don't think.

Overall, a good season, but I wouldn't have minded 13 episodes as opposed to 12...

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I thought this was the last season, are they doing another?

7. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Well, they are saying in the bumpers "only two more episodes left in this season" They don't say "series finale" Who know's what to think?

8. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

The ashes thing seems a little far fetched. Since the bones were super heated could they even get DMA out of the fragments? If not Nate could just claim that the crematorium they use is antiquated and hasn't upgraded their equipment.

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

10. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Yeah, that was a huge national news story a couple years ago. Pretty disturbing stuff.

11. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I'm a bit confused. By my count, this was episode 10 of the 4th Season, correct? Before the season started, they had said there were going to be 13 episodes, just like all the other seasons, correct? So how come there are only 2 epsiodes left? Or is the last one a 2 parter?

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm not sure if they said that, but there are only going to be 12 this season.

13. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I just checked the HBO website and there are only two more Sundays of SFU, August 31 and September 12. No episode will be shown on September 5, Labor Day weekend.

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I actually found something on HBO's web pages for Six Feet Under that says 12 Episodes. Bummer! For one thing, I didn't need to split one episode. Thinking 13 I put 6 1/2 on one tape, and planned 6 1/2 on the second tape. I did see that the last Episode has a running time of 58 Minutes, a good bit longer than the average episode. I wonder why they decided to do only 12 vs. 13, as they had done for each of the 3 prior seasons, (and as Sopranos has done so far in all 5 Seasons).

15. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

That sucks for me, cause Im going to be in Rome and Greece for two weeks, so Im gonna miss a few season finale's .... Im so glad I have an upgraded tivo so I wont miss any of my shows, I just hope nobody ruins them for me before I get a chance to watch em.

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

This show used to be one of my absolute favorites. This year has really suffered (IMHO) and this episode punctuated it. I felt as though the episode with David "jumped the shark" as I kept saying to the screen "this is ridiculous". When the guy got out of the car to look at the corpse, I waited for David to just push the gas and drive away, etc. rather then wait for the guy to come back (and so on).

But what I saw tonight really bothered me. When David loses it and starts a drag out fight with a guy, biting, etc. I mean, how far do they want to take this "David is emotionally disturbed" bit? Because victims of violent crime seldom act out immediately in violent rages. And I mean seldom as in "EXTREMELY unlikely" while children who are faced with violent rages can grow up to dish it out, adults who are victims of violent crime 99% of the time find themselves unsure of themselves, depressed, etc. which I thought they did a decent job of when David called over some other guy and wanted "to be held" basically. I got that. But when he goes off into a rage? Look, having been a victim of violent crime, and having worked with other victims, I just felt as though that moment went against everything that we know and understand of how the psyche reacts to those moments.

I could accept David feeling guilty; blaming himself; crying; depression; loss of sexual interest; etc. but violent rages that he acts out on in such a short time period? I felt that it made a poor plot device to advance the story in a direction I don't know if it needed to go.

There have been moments this season I've enjoyed, and other moments where I felt "this show has lost it's way". The heart of this show that made it really compelling to me was that this was a family trying to live while surrounded with death.. the heart of the first two seasons. And since then it's kind of drifted. Maybe this ashes thing will get back to the business of funerals, which has become only a backdrop as compared to the heart of the story.

17. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Has David told Keith the entire story yet? I don't remember them bringing it up. Hopefully he will have to let him in sometime before the season ends.

When did Claire turn into such a junkie?

18. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

David told only Keith, and Claire the full story.

Claire HINTED to Nate there was more going on, and that's what got him to go back to work at the funeral home.

Claire has always been a rather SAFE dabbler in drugs and alcohol and the like...

She's never acted like she did last week... and she's clearly on the road to a break-down.

When she came in and stumbled on Russel, I thought she looked so pale they were going to pull an OD scene (she looked like the girl from the season 2 premiere episode who died of an overdose in the theater bathroom...) she looked so bad. She's seriously missing something in her life, and she needs to get a better grasp on it.

David's violent lashing out may have been more frustration than violent rage. I'm betting one of them threw a punch, and things just got worse and worse...

From everything I've read, HBO wants at least one more season, but Alan Ball has stated in the past that he was out after 4 years.

However it's been a while since he's said that, and maybe he's changed his mind. If not, HBO will probably get a new showrunner... which isn't a good idea I think...

19. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Good episode I thought. I can see how some people think the quality of the show is fading, yet, I still enjoy it. Much more then the last two seasons of the Sopranos.

20. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Was that really season 2? A few weeks ago I had never seen a single episode, and then I watched everything up until the 7th episode of season 4 in two weeks. It's all mashed together.