Six Feet Under: 8/1/2004

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todbnla, Aug 1, 2004.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    So did Rico really hook up with the striper or was he fantasizing? I knew Claire was going to hook up with that blonde sooner or later :b Excellent show tonite....IMHO
    [​IMG]
    Screen shot of SD cable on my Infocus 4805 P/J.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

No fantasy. In the preview for next weeks show, he was laying in bed explaining that Vanessa kicked him out of the house.

I still think the lesbian stuff (which has been coming for the whole damn season) seems too conventional. I'm getting tired of the sexual experimentation crap.

...but as a straight male, Lauren + Mena = [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman Second Unit

The established practice on SFU is to abruptly cut back to "reality" after a fantasy sequence. Moreover, as Matt mentioned, the teaser (it's more of a teaser than a preview I think) seems to confirm Rico's infidelity.

This was a second consecutive strong episode following the controversial and, in my opinion, ill-conceived "That's My Dog." The characters face their demons in quirky, dysfunctional ways, but never at the barrel of a gun. That, to me, is what this show is all about.

I'm ambivalent about the (seemingly imminent) return of the Brenda/Nate relationship. On a visceral level, I want to see them end up together. (Call it Rachel/Ross syndrome.) As individual characters they seem more engaging together than apart. Nate's solemnity was becoming a real drag for me and the depth of his grief seemed implausible; I never got the sense that he loved Lisa in the way that one loves (and is consumed by passion for) a soul mate. Brenda is Nate's soul mate.

Yet, this all seems too easy. Nate and Brenda each get what they want, leaving a trail of shattered relationships in their collective wake. Nate gets a child, whom he unquestionably loves, without the fetters of marriage and Brenda gets Nate. Maybe it's the masochist in me, but I've come to expect a certain nuance and complexity in the SFU universe. How often does someone get what they truly want on this show?

I'll wait and see how things turn out. Once again the show has piqued my interest.

4. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

This was a good episode but I didn't dig the sex experiment thing too much, it just seemed too easy or obvious.

Lisa's turning out to be much more insteresting a character dead than alive. [​IMG]

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That would make Julio a real early bloomer. He's four years old, at most. Now his father, Rico . . . [​IMG]

M.

6. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Rico hooked up with the stipper. Right on!!!

Vanessa basically gave him permission in a sense that "Hey, if I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway, I might as well do it."

I'd have tapped some of that my DAMN-self if I was in that position! Hot mexican stuff.

7. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Anything involving "Haywood Jablome" was the highlight of the episode for me, but...

...David's Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is really pissing me off! SEEK THERAPY ALREADY!

Josh Lyman had PTSD in "The West Wing" and Adam Arkin helped him make it better. And we only really had to be confronted with it for one episode, thanks to Sorkin's brilliant handling of non-linear storytelling.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Amen to that.

...on both points [​IMG]

9. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

Does she even have Lupus? Does Rico care? Is he gonna be broke soon?

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I LOL at Rico's reaction to Vanessa not budging on her perception of Rico's infidelity, and then Rico going ahead and getting some action because if you put in the time, you might as well do the crime.

11. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Solid episode. Probably the best of the season.

12. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

The Claire/Mena things DOES seem lame upon first glance, but it's a pretty common thing for people her age, and considering Edie was the one thing that she could express with her art, it's clear that she does feel some kind of admiration for her. Sexual or not, there's something there, and she's going to find out.

I still think That's My Dog was necessary to explain just how David feels.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd have trouble believing David's current situation had it just been a short scene. Clearly it needed to be as severe as it was to push his character to the extremes he's clearly going to go to this season.

Surprised nobody mentioned Ruth and George. At least now she's getting some insight from other people as to what's wrong with him. I think some time with friends and family she gets along with is what she needed.

I think it was established that Nate's upset feelings over Lisa's death was because he never truly was in it for the long haul... and her death just made him regret those feelings even more. It was about guilt for not giving her his soul, which so clearly belongs to Brenda.

13. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

"George here just gave me the complete history of papier-mache."

[​IMG]

14. Jefe Noche

Jefe Noche Stunt Coordinator

"Haywood Jablomy"

[​IMG]

15. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I think the funniest part of that wasn't the punchline, it was that Keith was so boneheaded he couldn't figure it out.

16. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Same here, though I almost thought it was more funny that the other guy kept explaining how to read the name. Classic moment.

17. Herschel

Herschel Stunt Coordinator

I thought Rico had already hooked up with the stripper early on, before he started giving her money and hanging out with her kid. Am I remembering wrong?

18. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

She gave him a blowjob last season. That's as far as it went.

19. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I havent seen the past 2 episodes....

"I knew Claire was going to hook up with that blonde sooner or later"

But Im going to have to cach the repeat of this weeks[​IMG]

20. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Fascinating.