1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Six Feet Under 4/7/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This might as well been called the "F-ing F F episode". [​IMG]
    Nice opening grizzly death to kick off the episode, and the resolution of the deceased wife going off on the guy in his casket was humorous and sad.
    I knew Brenda was going to suffer some prostitutional backlash from her "observer" role last episode, and her line of work in massage therapy. You definitely can't get away with this sort of material on network TV. [​IMG]
    Will Mitzie ever succeed in buying out the Fisher brothers? The look on David's face when Nate tore up the latest offer check from Mitzie was really funny.
    Ruth's sister shows up after 20 years, and Ruth is still filled with resentment as she makes like everything in life is so easy, and free-flowing, but at the end the sisters make up as Ruth's sister tells her how unfulfilling her life is (barren, bad artist, lost love of her life early), and Ruth sees a different side of her sister.
    I think there's more to that story about Nate and David going to hang with Ruth's sister when Nate was 15 and lost his virginity to a 30+ year old woman. When David shows up, Ruth makes a comment for Claire's behalf that it's unlikely David would ever forget his aunt.
    I see Claire getting a taste of that free-flowing artist vibe from her aunt in the next episode built on from this episode.
    Rico appears to be headed for a family meltdown (not too crazy about his wife either).
    David's fling with the lawyer didn't last too long, and the table is set for round two between him and Keith.
    Ruth doesn't like Brenda much, judging by her reaction to the engagement news, but perhaps she was just pre-occupied by Nikolai getting drunk with her sister.

2. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

Watching Claire in this episode recalled for me a Jeff Goldblum line in "The Big Chill."

I don't remember the exact wording, but when everyone in the house was getting laid he remarked that he was all alone in his single bed (in the little boy's bedroom, the bed that looked like a cartoon airplane) "with no co-pilot."

Heck, by the time this episode was over, I felt like that!

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Amazingly I think this is the best episode I've seen so far. Having watched the series in order beginning only six weeks ago, I think that's pretty impressive. I loved this episode.

I think David's relationship with the lawyer guy was honest. I know I've felt like I didn't want to be with someone because I knew I wasn't ready and that I was still in love with someone from my past.

I imagine Keith will be coming back. I can't wait to see their relationship progress.

Ruth is an awesome character. As a mother, she's great. I think somewhat she's just misunderstood. And she's spent so many years in her role as mother and wife that David, Nate, and Clair are having a hard time relating to her as a person.

I love this show!

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Alias!

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

DavidF:

Our positions are similar, though not quite the same. I started watching Six Feet Under while QAF was still one of my favorite series. In watching SFU, my opinion of QAF dropped off on a weekly basis. I keep watching it as I'm hoping for more, but SFU is so much better that QAF cannot meet my expectations.

Six Feet Under certainly has much better developped characters who appear real. Even Ruth's sister seemed well developped to me.

I had read someplace - TVGuide, Advocate, HTF, that SFU and QAF had a bit of a rivalry going with QAF saying that David was a closeted somesuch and SFU indicating that none of the QAF characters were well developped. I never understood how either show could be compared enough to be rivalrous (sp?). However in trying to watch QAF on Sundays after finishing with SFU is like coming down hard off of a high. Perhaps I need to switch my QAF night to Tuesday.

Does anyone know if we are only going to get a 13 episode season again? This seems typical for HBO, but I don't know if it's a rule. I would love more, so long as the quality is maintained.

7. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

That part where they announced the engagement was painful. We got a similar reaction from my future mother-in-law when we announced our engagement. Needless, to say her lack of enthusiasm was a prime motivator for us to elope. Of course, then she was all bitter at not being a part of our wedding. Sheesh.

There are some people in life who just can't be pleased.

Ruth is definitely a realistic character.

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Why is this show compared to "Queer as folk"? I haven't seen QAF, but I get the impression that it's not at all like 6FU. The gay content in 6FU is pretty limited, a kiss or so every once in a while but that's it, I get the impression that 6FU is all about gay characters.

/Mike

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

David is falling into a one-dimensional trap being the gay brother who's gotta have it. What else do with know about David? Not much. At least Nate's got some more backstory going on.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, for Nate, his "calling card" in the beginning was his "compassion/sensitivity," something that David lacked in the caretaker business when dealing with the bereaved. With Nate's AVM, Nate acts more irrationally, but he did his best in the last episode to comfort the wife who was glad to see her abusive husband all sliced up by the boat propellers.

Before Brenda, it was obvious that Nate is a charmer of women (probably a by-product of his compassion/sensitivity), but out of step with a career until Nate Sr. dies and he's called back home.

Ruth is one that I thought was great from the 1st episode. Here you have this soft-spoken, semi-uptight woman who has all of this "stuff" boiling just underneath her skin, and who has plenty of layers to be peeled away and examined. Her life experience lend themselves for a life-time of pent-up rage and regret.

Regardless, the character development in this show is one of the better ones on current TV.