Six Feet Under 4.08 - Coming and Going

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Paul_Stachniak, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Good episode I thought. I think the shows has picked itself up from the creative slump it had in the first couple of episodes. Less humor this week, but I like were the characters are going.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It would take a few pages to just summarize what happened in this one episode. Whew!

David's expression during that quickie was scary and creepy.

So Clare's not a lesbian, and still hasn't found her O.

Nate and Brenda, who are they fooling? Too bad Joe didn't tear Nate a new one.

Even without the previews it was evident where Ruth would go walk-about after she had finally had enough of George.

Rico is practically six feet under himself in his current lose-lose situation.

Keith also got in on the "coming and going" motif for the episode.

3. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

HBO was really getting into the girls with ripped abs thing tonight. First it was Mena then it was the girl on Entourage. Who's next, Floetry?

Back on topic, this episode was great. David's face was something else. The best part was Sarge just egging him on.

4. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Not to mention the searing sound of balls slapping ass.

5. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

HAHA, thats great [​IMG]

There were a few good lines in this episode, I just cant remember them.

I think this episode really brought the show out of the so-called "slump" that people believed it was in. the last few episodes have been great. In last week's thread people said they were done with SFU. I think this episode would change their minds. Anybody change their minds?

6. Berk

Berk Stunt Coordinator

I’m one of those people currently on the fence regarding Six Feet Under. I missed the two episodes prior to 4/08 and don’t feel I’ve missed very much from the now predictable story lines.

My impression of the current season is that the writers didn’t seem to think the show would last this long. The character story lines, though strong the first couple of years, seemed to fumble halfway through last season and have stalled into the established tracks impeding further character development. This has resulted in the predictable story lines that don’t hold the drama of the first couple of seasons. It seems to me the writers and creators realize this deficit and have attempted to pick up the story slack through the use of secondary characters (Brenda’s mom, Arthur, George and the gal from American Beauty). Of course it’s also possible that more characters have been brought to the forefront in order to broaden the scope of the show and the depth of the characters.

Whatever the reason, I’m feeling further detached from the Fishers every week and have grown tired of being presented with secondary characters that take up air time and lack the interest of the Fishers. For me it’s similar to rereading a short story over and over again. It’s a good read but lacks the impact of the first time I read it.

7. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

When the girls were bashing the car with a bat I had flashes of the Sopranos. I thought Vanessa's sister was going to clock the stripper with the bat at first.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Vanessa needs some bat swinging lessons.

9. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Did anyone catch what Vanessa's sister was doing with the Vaseline while they were sitting in the car? LOL

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Another good moment for Vanessa's sister was when the stripper and Vanessa's sister were, ahem, comparing breastises in the mayhem on the front lawn.

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

It's interesting with Claire. Maybe she has a hard time really experiencing anything sexual... with anyone.

She's never masturbated, hasn't had an orgasm. It'll be interesting to see what happens next week with her art friends. Part of me thinks she's going to find herself kicked out of the group.

Ruth and George are probably the storyline I don't find to be too dull. Where they are going seems fresh, and interesting to me.

David and Keith are interesting, but less so than before.

Brenda and Nate's story seems to be treading water for now. I almost groaned when Joe walked in on them. The show is usually so good with avoiding the "been there, done that" route, and having him just "oops!" walk in seemed contrived.

I think if Alan Ball leaves the show, I'm probably leaving as well. I like the show, but not as much as I used to (re-watching season 2 is pretty much an eye-opener as to how good it really was).

The deaths are no longer important in the overall flow of the series, which is annoying. That used to be the strong point of the series.

The Rico/stripper storyline is also interesting, but it seems like for now they're letting it sit, if the preview for next week is right. He seems like he'll just be with the Fishers for now.

12. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

This is true for the most part.
    Does anyone remember the commercials from the first episode? I liked those, they should do some more of those. but implement them in the storyline somehow.
    You'd think now that Rico is part owner {or should I say, Rico and possibly soon to be ex-wife(think of what a divorce could do.)} that one of the large parlor chains would come around again and try to sway Rico into trying to convince the Fishers to sell outright.

Side note: Did anyone watch the Penn & Tellers Bullsh!t: Death episode? All I could think of was the Fishers.

13. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Teenage pop star: "I don't get fucked in the ass."

Keith: "That makes one of us!"

Best. Line. Period.

14. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

What you call an "oops" moment I call a "Brenda knew exactly what she was doing" moment. She wanted to get caught.

15. Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman Second Unit

Something that seems obvious to me, but bears mentioning is that we hold SFU and all established HBO series to a higher standard. The show's greatest detractors are probably regular viewers, they simply expect more from a show with such a fine pedigree.

After the divisive "That's My Dog" episode, I found myself somewhat disenchanted with the show's direction. Upon further reflection (and considering the wasteland that network television has become), however, I decided to stick with it. I am happy with the course of the last few episodes, even if they're not up to the standards of previous seasons.

As appalled as I was by "That's My Dog," I have to admit that it has led to an engaging storyline. David's angst and anxiety (witness the frightening scene with Sarge) are palpable and I'm not sure they would seem as genuine if not for his extended encounter with the "car jacker." I guess I've changed my mind; sometimes people do that[​IMG] .

Yes, the writers are probably reaching and no, SFU is not as enthralling as it once was, but I'm not going anywhere yet.

I agree wholeheartedly Joe. Brenda had a not-so-subconscious desire to get caught. I'm not sure if she simply was looking for a way jettison Joe or it speaks to her insatiable desire to challenge societal mores; remember her sex with strangers fixation? It's this rebelliousness that makes Brenda an interesting character for me. Sure, her shenanigans are often times predictable, but who doesn't revel in seeing a character "stick it to the man?"

16. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Part of me was thinking that when I was talking to my friend today. I said "You know, unless part of her deep down inside WANTED him to walk in. This would make sense because she kept insisting that Nate stick around... or hang with her...

This is why I supported what they did with "That's My Dog." I knew that something like that wasn't going to just be ignored. Right now we have to truly believe what David went through could cause this type of behavior. Remember that the series often skips ahead on a monthy basis. So as of now, it's at least a few months after the event... and it's still pretty hard for him to deal with. I don't think David's story would be as believable had we not seen such in depth detail into the destruction of his character in "That's My Dog."

I do agree with everyone that I'm not planning on giving up with the show. But I will definitely consider it if Alan Ball leaves this season. I heard that HBO wants another year. Hopefully they can convince him to stick around for one more round of 13 episodes. I don't think the show would last without him.

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Definitely. [​IMG]

Another good episode. I thought that things couldn't get worse from the end of last episode, but I guess I was wrong. Nobody's lives seem to be going well at all. Claire can't feel anything sexually, David is still having serious problems coping, Keith's off the Celeste tour, Ruth and George are even more on the rocks, Nate's in a strange place, Brenda and Joe's relationship is fucked...etc. It will be interesting to see where they take the rest of the season.

...I still want Arthur to come back! [​IMG]

18. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

MICA!

19. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

It would be interesting if Arthur died and was taken to Fisher Sons & Diaz. that would really mess with Ruth's character, and probably cause an extreme about of tension between her and George. Considering that she never had the chance to apologize to Arthur for accusing him for the crap presents. Then they could bring Arthur back on regularly as a spirit or dream. sort of like Nathaniel. Though I don't know what the purpose of this could be used for other than being the final straw for Ruth & George.

20. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

That's an interesting premise actually.