Six Feet Under 4.05 "That's My Dog"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Paul_Stachniak, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Wow. All I can say is what a curve ball of an episode. I did not see that whole David plot coming. Very powerful, yet somewhat clichéd. I liked it none the less, and it's interesting to see the repercussions of this event in future episodes.

However, one thing I'm getting tired of is the overly predictable opening death sequences. The use of mis-direction with who is going to die is becoming quite over done now.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Moral of the story: Don't be picking up hitchhikers!

3. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

It was a powerful segment but I also groaned - it seems like everything bad happens to the Fishers or those around them.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Oh, I almost spit out what I was drinking when Brenda's mom was talking about genital rejuvenation and said "Who wants to F a glass of water?" just as Brenda is about to drink her water out of a glass at lunch.

5. Paul_Stachniak

I feel sorry for the actor who played the hitchhiker, I can imagine the responses people are gonna give him if they see him walking on the streets. He was damn good in his role tho.

6. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Very disturbing and powerful episode. I can't believe David would be that naive to fall for this guy's plot, but I guess that's a symptom of David's current state of mind.

7. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I definitely agree with the "curveball" comment. Wow. I'm not even sure what I just watched. The one thing that bothered me was when the kid got out of the van to pull the dead body out, David could have driven away very easily. I guess his "fantasies" were a way of telling us he actually WANTED to be there.

8. Paul_Stachniak

Yeah, I thought the same.

9. Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman Second Unit

Not an episode that I'd watch again and not really in keeping with the tenor of the series. I thought the narrative flow was completely disrupted by the David/hitchhiker occurrence (it consumed half of the show, so I wouldn't call it a scene). Previously established story lines seemed to be progressing nicely and then abandoned. I do, however, agree with Paul's comment that the hitchhiker was a powerfully convincing (and unsettling) character. I suppose I could rationalize this longueur as a pivotal point for David, an epiphanic event, but I can't. I just didn't like it.

This may turn out to be one of those divisive, love-it-or-hate-it, episodes, like The Sopranos' dream turn.

10. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

That was probably the most disturbing hour of television I've ever watched.

11. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    "disturbing" is absolutely the perfect word to describe it. I had to hold my wife for 45 minutes to get her to go to sleep after that.

Maybe you should wait until the next episode before making a decision on that. We have no idea how David will deal with it.

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Same here. And when he jumped out of the van and knocked the guy on his ass, I was hoping he'd kick the guy in the head or at least take the damn gun.

Definitely disturbing stuff. Not all that balanced of an episode, but I thought it was a good one. It will be interesting to see how David deals with his victimization.

13. Todd Terwilliger

ScottH,

I thought the exact same thing.

14. Michael Napier

Michael Napier Stunt Coordinator

I don't remember being this riveted to a TV show in a long time. I definitely think both actors (Michael C. Hall and the guy who played the kidnapper) deserve major props.

15. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

This was a very powerful episode and hard to watch. I didn't like what was happening. I wanted it to stop. The writers did a fairly good job with the events of the hijack, even with some obvious plot problems (David should have driven off). The actors, especially the hijacker, were fantastic! I foresee some Emmy's for this episode.

But the whole thing felt out of rhythm for SFU. It felt like a “May Sweeps” type of episode you usually see on the broadcast networks. I’m sure that this will be a major plot line for the rest of this series and I’m not looking forward to it.

For the most part, my bad feelings about this event are because it was so effective. Alan Ball and the cast have made me care about these characters and it hurts to watch them suffer.

16. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Definitly disturbing although, I saw it coming for a mile. When he picked him up I said to my wife, David is going to get rolled.

17. Paul_Stachniak

^Yeah I thought the same. But it had never occured to me they were gonna take it that far.

18. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

I think it's implied the guy took the keys, as he did all subsequent times. We just didn't see it this time.

19. Todd Terwilliger

Hey Mark,

Possibly, but the speed with which it happened made me think he didn't and I don't remember seeing him hand David back the keys.

20. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Definitely disturbing and hard to watch. I also thought he'd get rolled when he picked the guy up...I just didn't think it would take the WHOLE epsisode!

I admire cable TV for taking chances, and this was a chance. It could easily put off most people. I know I'll never watch that episode again!

I think the repercussions should prove more "6 Feet Under"-like than this out of the ordinary episode.