What's new

Six Feet Under - 3/9/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While I still have my doubts we are seeing "real" 6FU plot developments, this episode laid down more character development.

Rico looks like a guy who's ready to blow a gasket himself, which is ironic, given his reaction to having to prep the shooter's body who opened the show with an office shooting rampage.

Keith and David's relationship is rockier than usual, but there are flashes of understanding between them. At the little dinner gathering between them and Nate/Lisa, the comments overheard by the baby monitor were chuckle inducing. Keith wasn't all that pleased to find out that Nate/Lisa know he and David are in therapy.

Lisa's boss is quite the handful. The comment on her, well, you know, was pretty funny (and something you'd probably only say to your wife in bed).

Where is Clare going with the free spirited rocker/cremator? She was taken aback from the non-exclusivity that he wanted, but then gave in to her sexual urges.

Ruth and the Kathy Bates character segment was entertaining. Ruth sounded like the Exorcist was within her as she was tying up Sarah for her own good. Ruth popping half a vicodin given all the yelling was inspired.

Nate and Lisa's relationship seems to be a little on familiar new parents/newly wed territory, but Lisa does crack the whip on Nate pretty well.

Mike X

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, I too was skeptical of the reality of the developments last week based on the opening sequence, but after 2 episodes I feel pretty confident that we are seeing reality. I am digging all the storylines so far this year except for the Nate/Lisa marriage. Something about her is very, very strange and I think we will discover her true nature this season. That marriage is most certainly doomed. The return of Brenda should bring back some spark as well. BTW, HBO just picked up a fourth season (surprise, surprise) and the Sopranos is in jeopordy because of Gandolfini contract disputes!

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I'm also convinced that we're witnessing "reality," although this feels a more than a little bit like the way that "Witchblade" hit the "reset" button at the end of its first season. (Granted, SFU is an infinitely better show.)
I dunno, I kind prefer the Nate/Lisa pairing. While Brenda/Nate had more "sparks." it was so pathological that it was hard to watch at times; it strained credulity.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, Lisa seems to have a scary passive-aggressive streak within her that can't be all that healthy in a relationship.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Really funny how they "never argue" when every conversation in their whole relationship is a low level argument. Using jargon to call it something else more new age doesn't change that fact.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Lisa doesn't view them as arguments, more like avenues to getting her way. She and David probably have a lot of the same issues.

I'd say that Nate's empathetic ways make it hard for him to have "arguments" with a passive aggressive, but with someone like Brenda, it's a different dynamic.

John_VI

Second Unit
Good ep for character development. And I hope that if Lisa goes postal on sombody, it will be that damned boss of hers!! What a total beeotch!!

And are Ruth and Kathy Bates going to have a lesbian affair? The previews sure made it sound/look that way.

Claire has absolutely no self-esteem. It's...like...a total tragedy. Whatever...

David needs to grow a set of balls and slap Keith around a bit. One, I think Keith would like it, and two, if he doesn't do it soon then I think Keith will give up in frustration.

I actually like how Rico's character is developing. He's a partner, but Nate and David still treat him like an employee. Sure, Rico has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but David is condescending in the extreme. I laughed out loud at Rico's line to David: "Fuck you, pick it (the shooter's body) up yourself. I've want nothing to do with this."

And I thought it was great how they portrayed Rico's homecoming. He had every reason to start yelling, screaming and throwing things....like his kids. But he calmed himself down, sat down with his son, put his arm around him and watched Spongebob on TV. Life's already messy enough - why add to the fray? Great scene.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Thought it was pretty funny. I loved how they made us think at the beginning that the guy on the phone was going to blow himself up by letting his gas run, but then we find out something else is really happening.

I wonder if when Brenda does show up, if this so called "reality" breaks, then we see the life of the Fisher's in another alternate reality where Brenda is there and not Lisa. Who knows.

I think this season is just heating up. Going to be fun seeing Rico flip out.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
The only thing I miss about Brenda is her brother Billy. And I still say that baby is not Nate's.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
If this isn't "reality", are we then limited to the either/or of Schrodinger's Cat? Or could Nate really be in a slow decline with Brenda at the moment?

(And if there is no further mention of this, then I guess it really was all just needless pretence... something this show could use a whole lot less of.)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah Patrick i still think we're in alternate realityville still and it will be too bad if 5 weeks from now all is a dream, I can understand the gimmick and it does work for this show, I just wish for another reality myself. Especially if they have Frances Conroy and Kathy bates (who is a hoot here) take up a Lesbian relationship, really we don't need to see that ! Well Ok it would be interesting.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I refuse to believe the writers of this show would pull a cop-out like that and have the first 4/5 episodes be an alternate reality. The only thing that has me worried that this might be the case is in that "Buzz" bit that HBO has been running before the show, Rachel Griffiths says something like, "It doesn't start where you think it's gonna start." I'm hoping she just meant the whole marriage to Lisa.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
So far, Alan Ball is on target after assuring us the new season promises us more "love, sex and weirdness."

Mike X

Stunt Coordinator
They are really setting up Rico as a volitile and unlikeable character in my eyes. From his homophobic views exposed in Seasons 1 & 2 to his "blaming" of the parents in this episode, I think we are in for some real fireworks from him in the near future....

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I doubt this is reality - Nate should wake up from the operation any day now. I hope so, cause compared to season one and two - so far so lousy.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i really liked this show. great "slice of life" view for all the characters.

i really feel bad for claire. she so wants to have someone in her life, but she always gets screwed (no pun intended). she really needs to work on her self-esteem.

david needs to bitch-slap keith something fierce. keith's "we're living day to day" speech was brutal.

i really like seeing ruth and kathy bates interact. i suspect something's gonna happen there. also, i read an article that said ruth's character is really gonna be somethin' this season.

lisa is a trip....period.

great start so far. :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI: This week's Entertainment Weekly (Peter Krause and Rachel Griffiths on the cover) has an episode guide for the first 2 seasons of 6FU, and a cast run-down. If you're a fan of the show, it's a good read.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Rico has been an asshole, the Fishers have NOT been treating him like an employee, there treating him like they treat eack other and he's been a bitch about it.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Well, Lisa seems to have a scary passive-aggressive streak within her that can't be all that healthy in a relationship.
With Brenda to reappear in the fifth episode, I look for a real blow up between Nate and Lisa in the very near future. There was a nice piece about the series in Entertainment Weekly this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks