Situp Bench recommendations for a fellow HTF'r

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by NeerajC, Sep 30, 2005.

1. NeerajC

NeerajC Agent

hi guys,

i've been on this forum for a while (mainly a lurker) and have gleaned quite a lot of information from you guys.

I also noticed that many of us are on the never ending quest to loose a little weight [​IMG]

Can any one recommend a good sit-up bench? I go to the gym about 4 times a week, but would still like to get a good bench for the days that i don't feel like going to the gym.

thanks guys.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

??? I lay on the floor and hook my feet under the couch.... why spend money on such a product? (unless you live in a tent I suppose). [​IMG]

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Do crunches, not situps

If you have something with a bit of weight that you can put on ur chest when u do it, so much the better.

4. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

Excellent that you're increasing the activity. Try not to get sucked into the diet mentality. You have to eat to lose weight. The less you eat, the more your body tries to hang on to what it's stored.

I'll second saving your money on the bench.

Look into exercises that work your core muscles. Situps and crunches work the 6-pack muscles but they can be hard on your lower back and they do little for the underlying musculature that is really responsible for holding your torso together. You'd be surprised how many ripped 6-packers suffer from back problems.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I prefer laying crunches, much better on the back.

Lay outstretched on the ground, place hands underneath, shaped in a V above the butt for support. Lift your chest, pulling your knees toward your chest, keeping your shins horizontal. Always keep knees together. Will be hard the first couple fo times but once you get it you'll feel a bigger impact in your abs and less strain on your back compared to situps. I actually have an angled sit up bench I bought from Sports Authority for $50 but I never use it.

Leg raies (hanging or flat) are great for lower abs, get that lower "V" in before the summer. [​IMG]

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Situps are not effective for losing weight. Cardio and circuit training are much more effective. If you want to purchase items for the home I would suggest a fitness ball. If you have the room, a power rack, adjustable bench and a full set of dumbbells can meet virtually all your weight training needs.

7. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Inverted crunches using gravity boots hanging from a bar.