Sitting Distance to Rear Projection TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Dietrich, Oct 12, 2001.

1. John Dietrich

John Dietrich Auditioning

I just received the go ahead to purchase a rear projection TV from my wife. YEA!!! The room we will be sitting in is about 12' 4" wide. With a couch directly in front of the TV, I'm thinking I'm going to lose about 18" on the above dimension. Depending on brand of Projection TV, I'm thinking I will lose another 20" to 30" due to depth. So I'm thinking my eyes will be about 9' from the front of the TV. Does anybody know the right size of TV I should be looking for in this situation? I have been out of the hunt for a rear projection the last year, but I did like the pioneer regular series 53" not the elite, but I think price is a issue. oes anybody have any opinions as to brand & models? Thank you!

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

The Toshiba 50HX81 or 57HX81 probably would not be a bad fit for that viewing distance. You could also look at the 50H81 or 57H81. The "H" series is a few dollars less than the "HX" series. Another model to look at would be the Panasonic 47". I have looked at both makes and I prefer the Toshiba for picture quality though.
    ------------------

3. Doug_JC

Doug_JC Extra

I have the 57HX81. For me, I like to be about 12-13' back. Particularly when watching hockey since it has a lot of quick camera pans. Most others seem to like being closer. For 9', I'd go with the 50"
    ------------------

4. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

I have a 50HX81 that I watch from 9.5' eyeball to screen. This strikes a good balance for me between image quality and impact on DVD (I use a Panasonic RP56). At this distance, Toy Story 2 looks VERY sharp. On most live action DVD, faces are somewhat soft and slightly grainy (not quite the right word but it conveys the idea) but quite acceptable.
    It's taken some getting used to but I can even watch VHS (I haven't tried to watch any form of TV). The picture is soft and smeared and the colors bleed and are unstable -- basically what you would expect from VHS. Cartoons are more tolerable than live action.
    ------------------

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I used to have a 61" RPTV and they said I have to sit a good 13 feet from it. It was too far. We ended up sitting 9' from it. TVs have come a long way now that these "3 times the height of the screen" is under flak.
    I just ordered a 65" and have my couch at 12 feet. But I think we'll come closer to maybe 10. Now others might say I'll be turning my head left and right to follow the action but I can honestly say no I wont'. Why? Because we've seated ourselves like 10 feet from an 80" screen already and nobody complained of anything but needing more popcorn.
    So my sincere advise is to try and check out these sets and try to sit closer. Stores usually have seats u can try so that won't be a problem. And if ur buying from a B&M store, so much the better if they have bigger sets. Try the smaller one and if u find urself wanting "more", they won't mind getting more money with u returning it for a bigger one.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

6. John Dietrich

John Dietrich Auditioning

Any recommendations on where to get the "H" or "HX" series from Toshiba?

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
  8. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

John, you are looking at 8 to 8.5 feet eyeball to screen.
    I am cutting it close with my 56" widescreen @ 10.5 ft. distance. I originally had the go-ahead to buy a 65" rptv. But my eyes told me 10.5ft with a 65" widescreen was too close, so I had to back down to the 56".

9. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

It depends on the TV resolution.
    The "3 times the diagonal" recommendation is OK for standard TV, at 480i. Any closer and you see the scanlines, not to mention all the other noise.
    But, for a HDTV-compatible set with a 480p mode, especially (but not exclusively) when connected to a progressive-scan DVD player, 2 times the diagonal is fine, and is much closer to what you have at a movie theatre.
    What works very well is a 16:9 TV with seating at 2 times the 16:9 diagonal or less. The 4:3 image is smaller than the 16:9 one, and is usually of lower quality, so the seating distance works for both.