What's new

Sitting 7 Feet away from a 100 inch screen... (1 Viewer)

Joe Zemaitis

Stunt Coordinator
Is this going to be a problem? I'm going to have an X1 projector very soon. Also, what type of screen would be best? I'm not sure where to get a screen either.

Thanks
Joe

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Yes. You're going to be so close to the screen that it will be very easy to see the pixel structure instead of a continuous, smooth image. I'd resize either the screen or seating distance to put you at 2 x screen width with an X1. Initially, you might be okay due to the wow factor of filling your visual field, but once that fades away, you'll be staring at the picture and wondering how you can improve it to look more realistic. The resolution mismatch for the viewing distance is going to be glaring that close to the screen.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. I sit about 6 feet away from a 47" screen, and it's just about right. A 100" screen would be too big for your field of vision, plus the resolution limitations of both your projector and your source material would be hugely magnified.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
If that's as far away as you can get, you would probably do much better to go with about an 80" screen. It's also been my experience that if you have to move your head around too much to follow the action, you'll be more prone to be bothered by the DLP "rainbow" effect.

Going with an 80" screen will also give you better brightness and contrast (in other words, a more vibrant picture); and will also allow you to have a little bit of ambient light in the room if you prefer. Remember that the X1, when operated in either it's "Film" or "Video" mode, only outputs about 500 lumens, so smaller is better for a whole variety of reasons.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
With a 100' screen, you're throwing it at around 13 feet (i have it at 100' 4:3 from approx 16 feet back at lowest zoom)...

If your projector goes that far back, why cant you sit that far back?

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Are you planning to use this as a 16x9 screen or use the native 4:3? Being only a 800x480 display, you might want to consider just getting a custom screen from Da-Lite at a 60" diagonal in 16:9. Pixels are too noticable on these low resolution projectors so you'll have to either sit back far away or reduce your screen size. As another mentioned, with a smaller screen size you'll also increase your light output, and in this case with screen size vs. distance, the depth perception of the image should also increase.

Low cost screens are the Perm-Wall from Da-Lite, and use the high contrast cinema vision if you want that extra sparkle and contrast. I'm a fan of the DA-Mat surface, and that projector is bright enough that it needs not extra gain...although the black level is the only thing you'll be fighting with.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks