Site Redesign!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Clinard, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I am in the middle of redesigning my web site, and I wanted you guys to take a look at it, before I upload the new layout to the site. You can comment on anything, including fonts, colors, the site navigational system, or anything else. I will probably upload the new site sometime at the end of next week, so you have about a week to post your comments.

Here is the old site, for comparison purposes, and here is the new layout.

I just thought I would post this here, since a lot of you guys have your own sites, and have an eye for design. Also, please let me know if the site looks correct, and what your browser, resolution, and OS are.

The new nav system will make it easy for me to add a home theater section, whenever I get a home theater.

2. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I like it Joshua, it's much better than the old version. It looks more polished, has a better navigation structure and the color set is well matched. The only possible thing I could find that could be an issue for some is that the page requires the browser window be fully expanded to avoid scrolling right to read the tail end of your text. Only a little was cut off on my 17" monitor w/IE 6.0, but I always leave a little desktop visable so I can get at my shortcut icons without having to take an extra step. It's not a big deal.

...It does need a home theater section however [​IMG]

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Much improved [​IMG]

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It's much easier ont he eyes and makes for nicer reading.

5. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    I changed the background color, and the link hover and visted link color. A few other cosmetic changes as well.

What do you guys think about fonts? Should I go with a serif, or non-serif font for the body. The person who is helping me design the site suggested Trebuchet MS, or Verdana for the body, but I have heard some say that they don't like the way it looks.

Please comment!

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

night and day!

7. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I like it! Nice colors, and nice layout.

However, in contrast to what Carl was saying, I think it's too narrow. On my 1600x1200 screen, the page itself only takes up the left half of my screen. I've got the entire right half completely blank.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could make it detect the resolution the visitor is using and dynamically adjust the page that way. Or at the very least, have the page centered.

In any case, though, I know that the majority of internet users run at 640x480 or 800x600. I definitely do think it's more annoying to have a horizontal scroll than to have a giant white space. For the lesser of two evils, keep it the way it is right now.

8. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    I was debating wether to program the site for 1024x768 or 800x600, but according to thecounter.com 47% use 800x600 and only about 34% use 1024x768. I would never program for higher than that. If in the near future, the percentages change a good deal, I will switch. At this point, it doesn't make sense. I will not program for browsers that don't support CSS though. I really like using it, it is so much easier than tables.

If I knew how to make it auto-detect, I would.

Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming.

9. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I would definitely go for Sans-Serif: you avoid any aliasing problems and the text remains crisp even when fairly small. Trebuchet MS and Verdana are both great fonts. My company uses Verdana as the standard for all content, and I use it on my own homepage.

I think coding for 800x600 is a wise move. 1024x768 is becoming very common, but I agree with Leila that skinny pages on higher resolution monitors are preferable to horizontal scrollbars. I also think centring is a good idea.

A simple script for redirecting visitors according to their screen resolution can be found
    here (halfway down the page).

It's a nice looking site and navigation is very good. I'd check your W3C XHTML1.0 certification, though (if you plan to keep the tick on your site)!

Adam

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The hover colour is an improvement. I like the font the way it is. When I was designing my own site, I contemplated the 800x600 scenario but decided to go with 1024x768. There was no way I was going to design for 640x480 though. Yours is not bad.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    As for improvements though. The only thing I can think of right now is somehow filling that green space with something. I also had that to deal with on my own site but I later found many things I could place below the links.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Either find something to go below the links or frame it so the links don't scroll with the rest of the page.

I actually miss the old days of the internet when it was 95% text and you'd be excited to see a 256 color picture on a webpage. [​IMG]

Now it's all pop-ups and flash animations.... >sigh

13. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    The non-valid xhtml comes from one of my blog entries. The problem comes from a unordered list, and I have yet to figure out what the problem is. All of the [*] tags have appropriate closing tags. I can't figure it out.

14. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Boy, that is night and day! I checked it out with IE5 at 800x600 and it looks great. As an aside, you may want to run the text (particularly the latest entry) through a spell-check.

I like your color choice, too -- easy on the eyes when reading.

I'll check it on Mozilla at 1024x768 when I get home.

If you would like an example of obscure, maddening navigation, check out my personal site:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vidyarthi

-j

15. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    This is a work in progress. It's near completion, but there are still several things to fix. Keep in mind that the page that you are evaluating is the actual template that is being edited, so when I add something new, or change something, it may not validate until I have tested it. When I have completed a certain feature, it will validate.

I do have one other important decision that I need to make, and I would like your advice on that. I have several pages on my site that are actually seperate sections, such as my Walt Disney Resource page. It's got several of it's own pages, that don't need to have their own links on the main navbar. How should I set these types of page up. I have a few ideas, but I have yet to come up with one that really works well. Take a look at the following examples, and tell me which one you think works best, or offer your own suggestion if you have one. I like to have some graphics on my pages, so I am leaning towards the first one, which is the way it appears on the old site. I will take suggestions for sprucing up either one.

Example 1
    Example 2

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome.

16. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Looks great, only thing I would change is putting your picture in an About Me section rather than on the main page.

17. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

Looks good. I like it when there's not too many pictures and fancy stuff.

I didn't actually read any of the things written, but I assume by the "Harry Potter" cover and the troll in the top left corner that it's a fantasy site. [​IMG]

--Anders

18. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Are you calling me a troll? [​IMG] The people on another forum were telling me I was too clean-cut, and that I should add a beard and a scar to my pic! [​IMG]

No, it's a personal site. I just happen to like Harry Potter a lot. I used to be a co-webmaster and owner ofmugglenet.com, as a matter of fact.