What's new

Sitcom daytime reruns question (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I've got a question about daytime reruns of sitcoms in general. Were they also cut to a shade under 22 minutes as well like most local syndication reruns?

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
What about in the 1980s, as 24 minutes was now the norm for a half-hour primetime network sitcom, and by that point, there were now fewer daytime sitcom reruns?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have tape copies of the first episodes of Diff'rent Strokes, The Facts of Life, and Silver Spoons from their NBC daytime reruns and all of them were edited to 22 minutes. I have also read that Norman Lear was appalled when CBS planned to cut All in the Family for its daytime run; he offered to compensate them for the lost ad revenue if they would show the uncut versions, but they refused him. Perhaps in the 1960s and 1970s they were not cut as heavily.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
What about the commercial breaks? Did they have 4 of them, like daytime game shows have? Or did they have 3, like the original network/early syndication runs had?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

What about the commercial breaks? Did they have 4 of them, like daytime game shows have? Or did they have 3, like the original network/early syndication runs had?

The broadcasts I have had 4 breaks each. I don't have any recordings of daytime sitcom reruns on CBS or ABC to compare them, or any other NBC daytime reruns. Bottom line: the only place the uncut versions would be shown prior to a home video release was the network broadcast or non-US reruns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks