Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - quick review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I actually liked this movie a lot, which surprised me, a little. I saw it mainly because of Amber Tamblyn and Alexis Bledel (of Joan of Arcadia fame, and Rory of Gilmore Girls fame, respectively), but the other 2 girls, America Ferrera and Blake Lively hold their hold very well against their other sisters in the film. None of them looked out of place in the film, acting-wise. Oh, Blake Lively is going to turn some heads, she's the hottie of the quartet.

The subplots of the 4 teenage girls who spend a summer alone, but tied together by a pact they make in sharing a pair of jeans that oddly enough fit all 4 gals, even though the body shapes are different enough to raise an eyebrow over such a fortuitous fact of life. The stories weave in and out, but I was never confused by the intercutting, and found the stories to have some meat to them as it was a summer of love, love of life, love of family, and love of a lossed one. They support each one gets from the letters that accompany the weekly shipment of the jeans/pants is more than enough for each girl to confront their issues, and to somehow resolve them, or become at peace with them.

The demographic for this film is mainly teenage girls, but the 3rd act has enough emotional grit to make it worthwhile for a matinee, especially if you are a fan of some of the actresses in the film.

I give it a 3 stars, or a grade of B.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm interested in seeing this, but am reluctant to go by myself and be the lone, single male at a movie targeted to teenage girls. I had this same problem with Mean Girls. [​IMG]

3. Matt Leigh

Matt Leigh Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, saw this yesterday with my GF. I said I would never see Monster in Law and if she wanted to see a girl movie it would have to be this.

Anyway, we both really enjoyed it. Unlike most movies aimed at a teen female audience this actually had a point and an emotional core. Overall it is a reasonably well shot and very well acted film with really good pacing.

If you have a daughter or GF and want to win some points and actually enjoy what is on screen take them to this.

8/10

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I saw the movie tonight and it was the best of the three I saw, and that's including Cinderella Man.

Kidding about that, but I will say I was pleasantly suprised about this movie on the whole.

I found that the Blake Lively soccer thing unbelievable. Although see is a VERY attractive young lady they had her doing a sport that she doesn't look right doing. The fact that she couldn't even run like an athlete really threw me too.

I'm with Patrick on this ... grade of B.

Brent

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

You folks should run by Capalert for some fun reading.

"below navel skin, repeatedly"

# upper rear female nudity with thong nudity

teens talking to ease conscience regarding immoral sex

girl slapping repeatedly a couple boys with a rolled up program pamphlet.

In case you don't know, all of these things take away form the Capalert rating system for the movie.

Brent

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

The best 2005 movie I've seen so far. Highly recommended.

I can't believe that in real life, Blake Lively is the youngest out of all the "sisters" and was actually 17 (at least according to IMDB) when filming took place.

7. Larry Vance

Larry Vance Auditioning

Loved the movie. Adore Alexis Bledel to bits, so I had to see it. Fantastic and moving film for anyone with an open mind. [​IMG]

8. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

It may interest those with region free players to know that Warner released this on DVD in R3 the same day it was released in theaters and for about 75% less than what they sell DVDs for here in the states. I cannot comment on the quality of the release as I have not seen it, but considering Warner decided to do this to combat bootleggers I would expect it to look just as good as any of their recent DVD releases.

(click here for details)