What's new

Siskel vs. Ebert (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Wow, that is very entertaining indeed. I know they would bicker on the show, but that sure seemed like some long time tension going on there. "This week on Siskel and Ebert, at the movies, with the Asshole, and thats Ebert." That is funny as hell.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's "and the movies" Brandon. :)

Man, that was kind of painful to watch.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think their relationship evolved over time. They weren't friends early on (Ebert said he "respected" Siskel, but that's it), and Ebert was not invited to Siskel's wedding. But Ebert said he kept a promise to Siskel made before he died that he would take his son to see the first Star Wars movie in a long time (1999).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
From looking at the clip, that's one hell of an understatement. I think it's safe to say that these two at the very least profoundly disliked each other at the time.

--
H

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

From just watching the first clip, I would agree with you. However, after watching the extended clip and seeing how they interact seconds later, I disagree. It seems like a normal relationship/partnership. One minute you hate each other, the next you're laughing.

I'm not doubting that they ever hated each other, just saying that I wouldn't agree with profoundly disliking each other at the time.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, it is Siskel and Ebert - At The Movies, which was the name of their original TV show. They sat in a theater balcony type set, with curtains down below. It always ended with "That's all we have and until next week, the balcony is closed." I think they were just kidding about the "and" part.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's what I thought, but Ebert seemed pretty insistent on "and" in that clip :).

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
That was the name of the show when it went into national syndication. But prior to that, their show Sneak Previews was broadcast every other week on the national PBS feed. And prior to that, they had a show on the local PBS affiliate in Chicago called Opening Soon at a Theater Near You. The Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago has a couple hundred episodes of these shows in their archives that are open to the public for viewing. Unfortunately the museum is closed until its new facility opens next year.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Siskel and Ebert had three national shows:

Sneak Previews was on PBS. At The Movies (No Siskel and Ebert in the title) was their first syndicated show, then came Siskel and Ebert and the Movies for Buena Vista. This is the same show that Ebert and Roeper are still doing.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
LOL!

Jeff: Welcome to the exciting world of internet forums. A wholly new field for you to begin to learn in.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Wow, that longer clip was a gas! These guys needed to do a two man improve act, that exchange was golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks