1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SIRIUSXM: Still Lazy After All These Years

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

The time before the merger was just incredible.

First, the bitrate was equal to listening to a CD in your car. Post-merger it's like listening to a transistor radio.

XM cared about being different than FM radio. Their philosophy was to play as many unfamiliar songs as familiar to its listeners. For instance, they wouldn't just play the top hits of the 80s. They would play songs that didn't chart well.

Post-merger, Sirius kept the FM radio philosophy of playing the same familiar songs over and over again. They shove about 200 songs into each channel and play it relentlessly. They only want familiar songs heard. If you listen to it for 8 hours a day on a daily basis, it's the same rotation.

If it weren't for Howard Stern, I would not subscribe to SiriusXM. I am looking forward to Howard's eventual retirement so I can get rid of the service completely. The music just sounds horrible in the car -- especially if you have a good stereo system.

Kyrsten Brad, Vegas 1 and benbess like this.
  2. Message #162 of 166 Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    First of all thank you Ron for starting this thread in the first place. I’ve been a Sirius (now SiriusXM customer) since 2005.

You’re preaching to the choir here about pre-merger & post merger. I had a feeling that would negatively impact customer service now that satellite radio is pretty much a monopoly and that has indeed borne out.
    Oh and have you noticed the totally cookie cutter crapola SiriusXM hardware offerings? Back in the day Sirius was working to improve their radios with nifty new features like increased channel saving and Song memorization (have the radio memorize a favorite song and the radio would pop up an alert when it was playing on whatever channel. That and the FM transmitter in the older radios could broadcast the signal to any radio in your house. That’s all pretty much gone now.

Oh it’s still a good service but the repetitive playlist on the 50s thru 2000s channels are catatonic boredom inducing. A microcosm here for thought. Two of The Sylvers (a fav) songs
    Boogie Fever and Hot Line get near constant airplay but a third hit song, High School Dance never gets played, save for when it appears on Casey Kasem’s AT40 Show.

My favorite channels are SiriusXM Radio Classics and NFL Channel. They take up about 60% of my listening.
    Prior to the merger, the Sirius Old Time Radio would play some nifty movie & theater tunes between radio shows. That and some memorable vintage commercials. But after the merger, they pretty much axed the theater music and replaced it with modern day and very repetitive commercials (no longer commercial free, ugh). They did keep some of the vintage commercials though.

Oh I did notice this year that there doesn’t seem to be a dedicated Mannheim Steamroller channel for Christmas season like last year. That was good for us who got frustrated with SiriusXM playing the same 3 MS songs and ignoring MS rich library of Christmas. I’ll have to look again, maybe they’ll offer it as mid December approaches.

DavidJ likes this.
  3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I’m disappointed that they didn’t have addicted Who channel right now.

They just released their for album in 13 years and are touring to promote it.
    I know they have a dedicated channel in the past and this would have been the perfect time to do it again.

But if anyone is interested they have been running a special with Pete
    Where they play each song and Pete talks in detail about each song on Deep Tracks.

David Willow and DavidJ like this.
  4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

American Top 30 was my favorite thing to listen to. It was the only program that would introduce music that SiriusXM would never play.

I also liked the Mannheim Steamroller channel but I suppose each year they want to try something different.

I am just astounded that a subscription service would think it okay to keep playing the same 200 songs over and over again and that people would buy into it.

5. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Off topic but the new Who album if freaking amazing. I wasn't expecting much and this new music just blows me away.

Back on topic I finally had enough of the horribly buggy DASH Radio app and the awful DJ's. I decided to give Sirius another shot only this time using just the app. So far I found streaming only stations that mix music across decades. New and old rock played together. They still only play a few hundred songs but at least there's a bit more variety. The quality is still just "OK".

DavidJ likes this.
  6. Message #166 of 166 Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

I used to subscribe to Sirius XM but I have found going the Apple Music route for $85/yr (using discounted iTunes cards) to be much better.

I don’t listen to the talk channels because I do podcasts for that sort of thing, and instead of themed channels you can just tell it what kind of music to play - 70’s rock, The Who, Mannheim Steamroller - essentially creating your own channels.

Playing individual albums or specific songs or skipping things you don’t want to hear - all impossible on a linear service. It’s much easier to bring with you on AirPods, HomePods, etc as well.