SIRIUSXM: Still Lazy After All These Years

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
XM had a free weekend apparently over the 4th. I listened to it for a bit and it was the same old song and dance.

I was a subscriber for about 2 years. While I enjoyed a few of the stations, the quality was trash. It was so compressed that it was hard to listen to. Some channels sounded like internet streamed audio on Real Player circa 1998. Not worth paying for IMO. The only reasons I can see anyone paying for XM in 2020 is if they really need Howard Stern or they're an OTR truck driver with no internet connection at times. I'm really surprised they're still in business with all the options out there with better service and better music.

• Agreed
Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
XM had a free weekend apparently over the 4th. I listened to it for a bit and it was the same old song and dance.

I was a subscriber for about 2 years. While I enjoyed a few of the stations, the quality was trash. It was so compressed that it was hard to listen to. Some channels sounded like internet streamed audio on Real Player circa 1998. Not worth paying for IMO. The only reasons I can see anyone paying for XM in 2020 is if they really need Howard Stern or they're an OTR truck driver with no internet connection at times. I'm really surprised they're still in business with all the options out there with better service and better music.
Yes some of the music stations (Ozzy’s Boneyard, for one) is way too limited with
the selection of songs they play. I am a driver, and I paid for the lifetime subscription 11 years ago, so I have gotten my money’s worth.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I just purchased a new vehicle that includes free Sirius for 3 months, so I've been listening. I just got the paperwork to extend my subscription, $2 for another three months, then $22/month thereafter. I don't think I'll be subscribing for any extensions beyond the free months up front.

Quality isn't great, and it cuts out every time I drive by a building or mountain that blocks the southern exposure. I can tell the difference in quality even vs. my iPod which is also compressed MP3's.

Not sure why people would pay that much for this. It would have to be significantly less per month for me to subscribe.

• Agreed
Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have never understood how SiriusXM justifies its existence as a music service playing the same 200 songs on every channel.

They basically are a "hits" service not offering anything interesting to its subscribers except the same repeats on a daily basis.

Once Howard Stern leaves they are going to find themselves scrambling for subscribers.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have never understood how SiriusXM justifies its existence as a music service playing the same 200 songs on every channel.

They basically are a "hits" service not offering anything interesting to its subscribers except the same repeats on a daily basis.

Once Howard Stern leaves they are going to find themselves scrambling for subscribers.
The Deep Tracks channel doesn’t seem to play the same songs over and over again, and the artist dedicated channels are worthwhile (Dave Matthews Band is now a permanent channel), so there’s still at least a little bit of music variety, IMO.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
So I got a automatic renewal email wanting to charge me $425 for two vehicles for a year.

I called and threatened to cancel and renewed both for $150. Taxes and fees included. Mostly for Stern.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So I got a automatic renewal email wanting to charge me $425 for two vehicles for a year.

I called and threatened to cancel and renewed both for $150. Taxes and fees included. Mostly for Stern.
Yeah, it's always a lot of game playing. Worse than buying a car and negotiating with a dealer. Well, maybe not that worse.

From what I understand, the really good negotiated rate for a year of ALL ACCESS is $100. So, if you got $150 for two vehicles I think you did well.

Reactions: Tino

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkoenig4