What's new

SIRIUSXM: Still Lazy After All These Years (1 Viewer)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
XM had a free weekend apparently over the 4th. I listened to it for a bit and it was the same old song and dance.

I was a subscriber for about 2 years. While I enjoyed a few of the stations, the quality was trash. It was so compressed that it was hard to listen to. Some channels sounded like internet streamed audio on Real Player circa 1998. Not worth paying for IMO. The only reasons I can see anyone paying for XM in 2020 is if they really need Howard Stern or they're an OTR truck driver with no internet connection at times. I'm really surprised they're still in business with all the options out there with better service and better music.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
XM had a free weekend apparently over the 4th. I listened to it for a bit and it was the same old song and dance.

I was a subscriber for about 2 years. While I enjoyed a few of the stations, the quality was trash. It was so compressed that it was hard to listen to. Some channels sounded like internet streamed audio on Real Player circa 1998. Not worth paying for IMO. The only reasons I can see anyone paying for XM in 2020 is if they really need Howard Stern or they're an OTR truck driver with no internet connection at times. I'm really surprised they're still in business with all the options out there with better service and better music.
Yes some of the music stations (Ozzy’s Boneyard, for one) is way too limited with
the selection of songs they play. I am a driver, and I paid for the lifetime subscription 11 years ago, so I have gotten my money’s worth.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I just purchased a new vehicle that includes free Sirius for 3 months, so I've been listening. I just got the paperwork to extend my subscription, $2 for another three months, then $22/month thereafter. I don't think I'll be subscribing for any extensions beyond the free months up front.

Quality isn't great, and it cuts out every time I drive by a building or mountain that blocks the southern exposure. I can tell the difference in quality even vs. my iPod which is also compressed MP3's.

Not sure why people would pay that much for this. It would have to be significantly less per month for me to subscribe.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have never understood how SiriusXM justifies its existence as a music service playing the same 200 songs on every channel.

They basically are a "hits" service not offering anything interesting to its subscribers except the same repeats on a daily basis.

Once Howard Stern leaves they are going to find themselves scrambling for subscribers.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have never understood how SiriusXM justifies its existence as a music service playing the same 200 songs on every channel.

They basically are a "hits" service not offering anything interesting to its subscribers except the same repeats on a daily basis.

Once Howard Stern leaves they are going to find themselves scrambling for subscribers.
The Deep Tracks channel doesn’t seem to play the same songs over and over again, and the artist dedicated channels are worthwhile (Dave Matthews Band is now a permanent channel), so there’s still at least a little bit of music variety, IMO.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So I got a automatic renewal email wanting to charge me $425 for two vehicles for a year.

I called and threatened to cancel and renewed both for $150. Taxes and fees included. Mostly for Stern.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So I got a automatic renewal email wanting to charge me $425 for two vehicles for a year.

I called and threatened to cancel and renewed both for $150. Taxes and fees included. Mostly for Stern.

Yeah, it's always a lot of game playing. Worse than buying a car and negotiating with a dealer. Well, maybe not that worse.

From what I understand, the really good negotiated rate for a year of ALL ACCESS is $100. So, if you got $150 for two vehicles I think you did well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This guy only had to pay... $69!!!!!!!!

VIDEO: How closely does Ronnie the Limo... - The Howard Stern Show ...

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
I have had to negotiate an annual renewal rate every year for my car radio. I wouldn't pay anywhere near their normal rates, and it's marginal even with the best deals I can get. I only listened for short time periods when commuting or longer times when on a trip. Then I started listening mostly to audio books on trips. Still, there were times when I wanted to listen to something I couldn't get on the radio and my wireless data plan is almost zero so I can't use the phone to stream.

This year, I have hardly left the house because of the pandemic so it's going to be hard to renew even with a deal. At least they will now allow streaming as part of my subscription, which used to cost extra. But I rarely listen to music at home any more. And I have Amazon Prime plus a lot of other free music channels so I have rarely bothered with Sirius/XM. I may finally say goodbye to them in December.

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I have had to negotiate an annual renewal rate every year for my car radio. I wouldn't pay anywhere near their normal rates, and it's marginal even with the best deals I can get. I only listened for short time periods when commuting or longer times when on a trip. Then I started listening mostly to audio books on trips. Still, there were times when I wanted to listen to something I couldn't get on the radio and my wireless data plan is almost zero so I can't use the phone to stream.

This year, I have hardly left the house because of the pandemic so it's going to be hard to renew even with a deal. At least they will now allow streaming as part of my subscription, which used to cost extra. But I rarely listen to music at home any more. And I have Amazon Prime plus a lot of other free music channels so I have rarely bothered with Sirius/XM. I may finally say goodbye to them in December.

I’ve had SiriusXM for many years. I mainly listen to Siriusly Sinatra. they play a wide variety of his songs. In addition, they play standards of the American songbook by Porter, Rodgers & Hart, Ellington, Gershwin, etc. sung by both Sinatra contemporaries (Ella, Davis, Jr., Crosby) and current artists who interpret music from that era (Michael Feinstein, Michael Buble, etc.)
Of course, they program some special limited channels such as Billy Joel and holiday music.
The Broadway channel has some variety. I would like if they would occasionally program a full album of a show instead of single cuts. Sound on Cadillacs Bose system is good but not the quality of a good home system.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
The Broadway channel has some variety. I would like if they would occasionally program a full album of a show instead of single cuts.

They have been doing this lately, not sure of schedule, but in the evenings.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
’ve had SiriusXM for many years. I mainly listen to Siriusly Sinatra. they play a wide variety of his songs. In addition, they play standards of the American songbook by Porter, Rodgers & Hart, Ellington, Gershwin, etc. sung by both Sinatra contemporaries (Ella, Davis, Jr., Crosby) and current artists who interpret music from that era (Michael Feinstein, Michael Buble, etc.)
Of course, they program some special limited channels such as Billy Joel and holiday music.
The Broadway channel has some variety. I would like if they would occasionally program a full album of a show instead of single cuts. Sound on Cadillacs Bose system is good but not the quality of a good home system.
Sinatra and Broadway channels are two of my favorites when I listen. That's just not often enough to justify even the negotiated rate.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
Their rates are always negotiable, especially if you tell them to just turn it off.
That's what I have been doing every year. You usually have to watch what they quote because the first number they give doesn't include the royalty charges.

Fatstrat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Their customer service is now getting worse. My plan was coming to an end so i called to cancel/haggle. The first rep tried to offer 12.00 per month I told her no, so she referred me to someone else. I sat on hold for 3 hr. I wanted to see how long it would be. After 3 hr I was so hot that I called back. I told them nicely that I was not happy and they tried to put me on hold again. So I was fuming and demanded to speak with their manager. It took a couple minutes, but he finally picked up. He tried to screw me around a little but he knew I was pissed. I am now done with them. Their are a few services that have HD audio that are so much better in the quality of the music. These other services offer breaks in price also. I am currently on Amazon Music HD free trial. 7.99 a month after trial. So far the quality of the audio is so much better.

Fatstrat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
I was working on my computer, plugged phone into charger, and put on speaker phone. They told me 20 min in the beginning. So the longer it went I just left it go to see how long it would be.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BIll: What their best offer to you before you bailed?

Mike,

If I may answer that in addition to Bill.

My best offer has been $50 for 6 months (plus royalties and taxes) for ALL ACCESS. You need to negotiate again before the 6 months is up.

However, I have read more than one report on Facebook where people are getting a year of ALL ACCESS for $100 (plus royalties and taxes).

I have not been able to achieve that offer. However, I think I settled too soon on my previous negotiations with them and when my current subscription offer expires, that is what I am going to aim for: $100 a year for ALL ACCESS.

If they can't do that for me I will cancel my subscription. I don't listen to the music channels anyway. I am in it for Howard Stern only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alain A.
Recent bookmarks