SIRIUS Satellite Radio Reaches 200,000 Subscribers

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Joshua Clinard, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    This is awesome news. If you take into account that many of the units that have been flying off store shelves for the past few weeks, plus any that are sold during the next few weeks, won't be activated until after the 25th, Sirius will substantialy increase it's subscriber base by the end of the year. I predict they will have at least 230k, or maybe even 240k subscriptions by the end of the year.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio Reaches 200,000 Subscribers
    Monday December 8, 5:43 pm ET
    Consumers Embrace SIRIUS' Exclusive Commercial-Free Music and Unparalleled Variety of News, Sports and Entertainment

NEW YORK, Dec. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI - News), known for delivering the very best in commercial-free music and premium audio entertainment to cars and homes across the country, today announced a major subscriber milestone. SIRIUS surpassed 200,000 subscribers on its nationwide service of 60-commercial-free music streams and 40+ streams of news, sports and entertainment.
    (Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19991118/NYTH125)
    "We achieved another important milestone for SIRIUS, which clearly demonstrates the growing interest in our premium service of nationwide satellite radio entertainment," said Joseph P. Clayton, President and CEO of SIRIUS. "More consumers are discovering the pleasures of our commercial-free music offering, and more are also recognizing the value of receiving such premium quality programming, such as play-by-play sports, for only $12.95 per month."

SIRIUS currently has four "Plug & Play" products available at retail. The Kenwood Here2Anywhere(TM), two versions of the S.R.S. Satellite Radio Shuttle(TM) from Audiovox, plus the Streamer, which is primarily marketed to truckers. A home unit from Kenwood is also available, and a boombox from Audiovox is expected to be in retail stores in limited quantities in time for Christmas.

"This is the first time that we are going into a busy holiday selling season with a full complement of products at retail, and we believe that this will help to drive subscriptions this year, as well as position us favorably as we transition into 2004," added Clayton.

All of SIRIUS' "Plug & Play" products adapt to existing audio systems and can be easily installed by either the retailer or purchaser. Currently, SIRIUS-ready products can be found at Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeter, Ultimate, the Good Guys, Sears and other mobile audio outlets, including Crutchfield.

SIRIUS radios have been extensively featured in 2003 gift guides, including those published by Rolling Stone, Newsweek, Newsweek International, Good Housekeeping, New York Magazine, Time Out New York, XXL, Stuff, FHM, Maxim Goes To The Movies, Golf Magazine, Blender, The Advocate, American Way, Westways, Best, Estylo, Sea, Electronic House and Maximum PC Magazine

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Joshua,

This is great news!

Despite my recent report that leaned a little
    more negatively towards Sirius, I am
    actually gunning for this company to do well.

I think they are starting to listen to their
    subscribers as their programming is once again
    starting to change in a positive direction. I
    also hear there are some big changes coming this
    February.

And if that isn't cool enough, I may have
    my own little cool Sirius news to talk about in
    the not-so-distant future.

Go Sirius!

3. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Ron:

Sirius has listened to their subs in the past (at least, it looks like that), in dealing with repeats on the rock channels, and it seemed the "Pam" and "million dollar" promo's toned down quite a bit after siriusbackstage got up in arms...

They seem to listen to complaints, it just takes a little while... [​IMG]

4. Joshua_JO

Joshua_JO Agent

I know XM claimed to need 2 million to break even, does anyone know what the Sirius number is?

-Josh

5. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Josh:

Actually, everything I've read says XM needs 3-4 million subs, Sirius needed 2 million...

(XM has a much higher current debt load)

6. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
  7. Joshua_JO

Joshua_JO Agent

Great news for Sirius, but while 200000 is great, they are still a long way off!

8. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    At the current rate of growth, both services should hit breakeven at about the same time, according to industry analysts.

9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

While many people like to bash Sirius or XM, I sincerely hope that both services do well. I'm a firm believer in the value of competition, both in terms of price and quality of service. After all, what incentive is there to excel and keep prices reasonable if there is no competition? So I hope that both Sirius and XM survive and thrive. I think the satellite radio market is big enough for two players, just as the satellite television market supports at least two national players.

So the fact that Sirius has now surpassed 200,000 subscribers is great news, and I hope they continue to grow. XM now has well over a million subscribers, and I hope they continue to grow too. There's no reason both can't prosper. Here's hoping they do.

Steve K.