What's new

SIRIUS expected to break 4Million (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
On January 9, upon Stern's addition to SIRIUS, SIRIUS touted that it had achieved 3.3M subscribers. This bump created a larger-then-expected payday for Stern; but now, according to SIRIUS news (100/101) SIRIUS is currently estimating 3.89M subscribers, with January being their busiest subscription month ever; mostly holiday activations. SIRIUS is still running behind on over-the-phone activation due to demand; but if pace holds, SIRIUS believes it will break 4M by Valentines day

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Awesome news! Now the anti Sirius/Anti Stern crowd is going to have to come up with some new material after their "Sirius will fail" and "The gamble won't pay off" lines proved untrue.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Yeah, no kidding. If this keeps up it could make a serious run for next christmas. Just imagine if XM landed the Stern deal. Sirius would have been dead. It's too bad Sirius was unable to hold the NHL crowd (but I'm sure they lost money on the strike last year) for 2007, and that we've got NASCAR coming in, but I'd trade Nascar for Baseball. All Sirius needs is a channel just for soundtracks and scores.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Yeah, XM should have done whatever it took to sign Stern and Sirius would have been dead and buried. XM did make a smart move in signing with MLB... they would be in trouble if they didn't have that to flaunt. Sirius has a great Sports lineup... but having baseball would have been the clincher.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
You know though, I wouldn't want a monopoly, and I'm saying this as a huge Sirius fan. I think Sirius strives to bring great programming because they are trying to close the gap and hopefully surpass the subscriber count, but I do want to see both be successful because that will continue to raise the bar. When you don't have competition, you become content, lazy, and fat. But I love hearing Sirius doubling its subscriber count in the last 5 months than it has during its entire existence.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Realize, the announcement SIRIUS wants to make is this: last February, they had 625,000 subscribers. This year, over four million at the same time. That's great news for them.

Brent T

Second Unit
We got Sirius for my father-in-law who hates Stern. He is a music lover so we figured that since he is in sales and does alot of traveling it would be a great gift.

Well he just activated it this past weekend. And we have never seen him so excited about a gift. He was telling us all the music channels that he loves and some that they couldnt believe they had.

He was so impressed that he said he was telling some of his co-workers about it and it got them fired up.

Now he is an older guy so I gotta believe as the word spreads to other demographics that 4million # should jump to 5-6 easily by the end of the year.

Long live Satellite !!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Well, I'm turning 64 this year (there's a Beatles song somewhere in that comment ;) ) and I love music and I've always been a big fan of Howard Stern so what demographic does that put me in?

:laugh:

The bottom line: When my XM year subscription is over (I've been with them from the start) I'm not renewing. It's not about everything that XM offers. It's about Stern being on Sirius.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
There are a lot of great music stations and things other than stern on Sirius, and this is coming from a long time stern fan. People have the ability to block stations if they don't want to hear it. $13/month gets you a lot each month.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"and that we've got NASCAR coming in"

Imagine that!! "well there goes Jeff Gordan, and here he comes again, and there he goes again, and here he comes, and goes"

Really, wathching cars go in circles is hard enough, but listening to cars go in circles would put me to sleep.

Brent

I admit< I hate Nascar, but at least they "do it right" on TV, they have the bet telematics(?) and other computer stuff, and the best camera positions(brake cam) in racing.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I bought the Sirius S50 and a lifetime membership last week and am loving listening to howard each day. I agree they need a "cinemagic" like channel that plays movie soundtracks and hope that follows soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks