What's new

Sirius exceeds expectations for subscriber growth for 2Q (1 Viewer)

Monty B

Agent
By SETH SUTEL, AP Business Writer
2 hours, 25 minutes ago

NEW YORK - XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. reported slower growth in new subscribers for the second quarter Thursday, which the company attributed to problems with product availability and softness in retail sales.

Sirius Satellite Radio Inc., meanwhile, added far more subscribers than XM in the second quarter, beating analysts expectations and continuing to benefit from signing up the popular shock jock Howard Stern, who went on the air at the beginning of the year.

XM said it added 398,000 net subscribers in the second quarter, well below the 568,900 it added in the first quarter, leaving it with 6.89 million subscribers to date. Analysts had been looking for about 430,000 net additions, Oppenheimer analyst Thomas Eagan said.

Sirius said it added 600,460 subscribers, ending the quarter with 4.7 million. While that was down from the staggering 761,000 additions made in the first quarter, shortly after Stern joined Sirius, Eagan said the pace was still strong in the second quarter and reflected a continuation of "the Howard effect."

Analysts had been expecting 555,000 additions for Sirius, Eagan said. A Sirius spokesman declined to comment on the figures beyond a prepared statement.

XM's stock fell 13 cents to $14.36 in early trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market while Sirius' shares rose 12 cents, or 2.7 percent, to $4.60.

In May, XM cut its estimates for full-year subscriber growth, citing softness in retail sales of satellite radios and product availability problems. XM currently estimates having 8.5 million subscribers by the end of the year, down from its previous estimate of 9 million.

Sirius said in late May that it expects to meet its previously issued forecast of getting to more than 6.2 million subscribers by the end of 2006.

XM's stock is down nearly 50 percent since the beginning of the year on a variety of concerns, including the sudden departure of a director over strategic differences with the company; an investigation into the company's marketing practices and more recently the reduction of subscriber estimates. Sirius shares are also down, but not as much, about 31 percent, since the beginning of the year.

XM is locked in a fierce battle with Sirius to sign up programming talent and paying subscribers. Both services are available nationally, carry dozens of channels of talk and commercial-free music, and cost about $13 per month.

Eagan, the Oppenheimer analyst, said that despite several external difficulties for the two satellite radio stocks, long-term subscriber goals would likely be met as more cars are installed with the receivers at the factory. Sanford Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett told clients in a note that he also expects "rapid growth" in factory installation rates from 2007 to 2009.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
their IS a stern effect. this time next year it will be a nascar effect.i do think there is a content effect when you do the checks and balance of content sirius comes out a head. theres also an O&A effect.each time those two idiots talk bad about stern on his old stations i just reminds people what they are missing. they are not going to buy something they can get for free.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Bottom line is that for the same price or eventually when they do raise prices, it will still be a complete package for Sirius with Sports, Entertainment, and justifiable good radio stations. (I'm happy with them) There's still nothing at XM that is strong enough to get my money over Sirius. Seriously, what do they have that's worth my money? Baseball is their only barganing chip these days, and if I REALLY want specialized music, I"ll go through my CDs which I haven't touched in nearly a year thanks to Sirius.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
ernie your so right.every time i take my plug-n-play to my car and drive down the road i want to continue driving for hours free radio doesnt do it for me i love football but never thought i would listen to nfl radio. i do not as much as channel 9 ,15 or 100 but i listen to it.i read that tony kornhiser i hope i got his name right had to take time off of his show on xm. i didnt know he had a show on there.i like him but wouldnt get xm for him

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
nice picture paul. look at you , you babygorilla. baskin robbins called you ate them down to 5 flavors.:laugh:

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

What's so funny? You laughing cause I called you friend fat? You have the personality of a moth. Why don't you buy a horse and move up the moutains where you can't bother anyone.

Monty B

Agent
http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/...ry06070706.htm

All Hail King Stern
By Rick Aristotle Munarriz (TMFBreakerRick)
July 7, 2006

Is the self-appointed "King of All Media" also the king of all markets? Terrestrial-radio deserter and wickedly popular morning-show radio host Howard Stern helped Sirius (Nasdaq: SIRI) close the subscriber gap with market-leader XM (Nasdaq: XMSR) for the third quarter in a row. In the second quarter, which ended last week, Sirius claims that it landed 600,460 new subscribers, while XM generated just 398,000 net additions.

XM can't sugarcoat the disparity. It's true that XM still commands the larger audience. The company closed out the quarter with 6.9 million subscribers, while Sirius totalled 4.7 million. Even if XM's subscriber count remains stagnant over the next few periods -- highly unlikely, of course -- Sirius wouldn't catch up until the first half of 2007.

The problem is that this is a momentum game, and at the moment, Sirius is the one behind the wheel. It was able to land 64% more net new subscribers during the period than it did a year earlier. Over at XM, the company suffered a 38% slide in net new additions, after claiming 640,000 new sets of ears in the June quarter of 2005.

XM is still growing -- reporting net new additions, not subtractions. That doesn't take away from the one thing that's now becoming painfully -- or gloriously -- obvious: Howard Stern is bigger than even he thinks he is.

Hugh blew it
When Sirius agreed to a five-year deal with Stern, a stock-and-cash pact valued at $500 million at the time, XM CEO Hugh Panero was critical of the amounts being bandied about for the sometimes-controversial host. David Gardner interviewed Panero last year, and this is what he had to say:

I don't know if it is a good move for Sirius. It is clearly a very good move for Howard Stern. He is a smart guy, and he has obviously done a deal that is very good for him. I think that there will be a number of his hardcore fans who will subscribe to listen to him in that environment.

Whether it is a good business deal, I think time is going to tell. It is a lot, a lot of money. I had also spoken to Howard and some of his people, and there was some interest in us doing some sort of a deal with him, but I never, ever contemplated a deal of that magnitude. That is more money than people like Oprah Winfrey make. That is more money than some of the biggest stars that exist. It is quite a gamble, but it was clearly a very good business deal for Howard Stern.

In retrospect, Panero was wrong. Since the day the deal was announced, shares of Sirius are only trading marginally higher; that still tops XM, which has seen its shares nearly halved in the same period. It's interesting to note how Panero singled out Oprah, a broadcasting celebrity with whom XM eventually teamed up to create a new XM channel debuting this fall.

Along the way, we've had downward subscriber revisions, troublesome product rollouts, and a defecting Chicken Little board member. Investors keep waiting for the other shoe to drop at XM, only to realize that XM is really Imelda Marcos in disguise. Boy, Stern would have been really convenient about now. Would we even still be in a duopoly if Sirius had let Stern slip through its fingers and into XM's hands?

We can argue about Stern's merits until we're blue in the face -- and I don't mean the FCC's definition of "blue" here. Whether you think he's brilliant or a potty-mouth, the numbers don't lie. Consumers have been choosing Sirius over XM since Stern made his media blitz over the 2005 holiday season.

Stern is the not-so-secret ingredient behind Sirius' killer recipe. I subscribe to both XM and Sirius. I love both. XM has more channels, with a lot of content overlap. You'll get a wide range of opinion on who has the best music channels, but both services are excellent substitutes to old-school radio. One can argue that XM's deal with Major League Baseball and Sirius' pact with the National Football League make each offering distinctive, but that's also what makes Sirius clobbering XM here so Stern-driven. We're waist-deep into the baseball season and a couple of months away from the start of the NFL games. All things being equal, XM should have smoked Sirius this quarter.

Eighteen months ago, I made a pretty ridiculous prediction. XM was trouncing Sirius, yet I proclaimed that Sirius would land more net new subscribers by the fourth quarter of 2005. It seemed outlandish at the time, but I was spot-on accurate. I'm off to hock my crystal ball, though. A year later, I predicted that XM would regain the new-listener lead in the second and third quarters. Not even close.

Another shoe tumbles
This doesn't end here, of course. Anyone with a calculator and a penchant for train wrecks can see that XM may let us down one more time. Back in May, XM announced that it intended to close out the year with 8.5 million subscribers. It had originally planned to end 2006 by lapping the nine-million mark.

On the other hand, Sirius expects to wrap up the year with 6.2 million subs. In other words, over the next six months, XM expects to land 1.6 million more net new users, with Sirius projecting just 1.5 million net new subscribers.

How? If the baseball-charged second quarter didn't do it, how will XM outmuscle Sirius when the playing fields of choice go from diamonds to gridirons? XM will have "its Oprah moment" in a few months, but that's a wildcard, since Oprah's emphasis will remain with her syndicated television show.

What would it take for XM to avoid another heartbreak? Will next month's earnings report bring that 8.5 million year-end target to a round 8 million, or will announcement come in early October instead?

Things don't have to be that bleak. As logic goes, the more time that Stern spends entrenched in satellite radio and away from the mainstream spotlight, the less of a factor he becomes in moving new receivers. True Stern fans would have made the migration already. But the strong second quarter, months after Stern's first show for Sirius, throws that theory into the wood-chipper.

Maybe the thinking is that XM stars Opie & Anthony, pioneers in taking their controversial morning show to satellite radio, will be successful ambassadors. XM began syndicating part of the show to Stern's former haunt at CBS (NYSE: CBS). If lightning can be caught in a bottled-up radio show twice, XM may be on to something. But the early XM migration numbers don't seem to have panned out that way.

I still believe in XM. I even recommended the stock to Rule Breakers subscribers last year. I'm realistic, though. A year ago, I was wondering why XM had a lower market cap than Sirius. Now I understand. Still, XM's attractive valuation, and the upside potential of the niche, keep me glued to the possibilities.

Stop dropping shoes, XM. And if you've got platform shoes in there, try them on. We can all use the lift.

Rick recommended XM to Rule Breakers subscribers last year. The stock is currently in the red, though the average newsletter service pick is currently beating the market. See David Gardner's full list of growth-focused picks with a free 30-day guest pass.

Longtime Fool contributor Rick Munarriz is a Sirius and XM subscriber, but he does not own shares in any of the companies mentioned in this story. The Fool has a disclosure policy. He is also part of the Rule Breakers newsletter research team, seeking out tomorrow's ultimate growth stocks a day early.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Monty,

I removed your post in the other forum. It's fine here, but you don't need
the same post it in two different areas.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks