Sirius, anybody?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Ed Faver, May 28, 2003.

1. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

I'm interested in reactions to the offerings from Sirius. I spend a lot of time listening to NPR and I see they have a couple of NPR channels (is that what we call XM stuff, or is it stations?). I'd be interested in knowing more about what NPR progrmming is offered and a general review of the service as a whole.

Thanks!

2. Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid Stunt Coordinator

Michelle Schmid
    NPR stands for National Public Radio, doesn't it? If so, it would be stations. If not, I'm not sure. I don't listen to it, so can't review it for you, but I'm sure someone else will chime in on this question.

As for the rest of the Sirius lineup, and the service as a whole, I love it! I've only had it for about two weeks but it's all I listen to now. FM stations don't even exist for me anymore--and I don't miss them one bit. I love the commercial-free programming, and the fact that whatever station I turn on will be offering the programming I'm expecting--not Bob & Sherri in the morning, not 35 mins. of constant commercials, no DJ blathering on for 20 mins. about their weekend. If you do hear a DJ, they talk for about a minute, about the songs you heard/are about to hear, and then they play more tunes.

Count me in as one very satisfied customer (who only got the service in the first place because of the great deal I got when I finally was able to replace my whole stereo system!) [​IMG]

3. David-S

David-S Second Unit

I've honestly never listened to the NPR stuff, but if you want you can stream it for free for 20 (or 30, i forget) minutes per day or something at www.sirius.com (option is right at the top of the page)...

I got the receiver for free, and i love it. Like Michelle, I haven't listened to FM once since I got Sirius running, and only a few times to CD's... i've heard quite a bit of new stuff, and have never had a problem finding something i want to listen to... The only downside could be if you want traffic reports for commuting, but my commute isn't bad right now, so i don't mind...

ps: they call their channels "streams".. [​IMG]

4. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

I actually posted this in another thread a few days ago:

"Sirius Radio is great. I actually purchased a new radio deck and Sirius installation package for my Intrepid.

I have had the service for 13 months now and it would be irritating to travel on long road trips without it. The sound quality is top notch and the programming is great. And remember NO COMMERICIALS!!!!

I also listen to Sirius from my home pc via a wireless connection to my home HT. I simply go to sirius.com and login with my subscriber info and I have all of the music channels at my disposal in my home without having to purchase another receiver or pay another subscription fee.

What I also like about Sirius is that they actually listen to their customers. When I first got the service I was excited about it and maybe not so objective. After a few weeks I tired of the playlists and thought felt that I might as well have been listening to FM. I called and emailed them a couple of times and they actually responded to me. A few days later I got a call with service rep that surveyed me for my feelings about the service.

Based on my responses I got 2 free months and GUESS WHAT!!!

About six weeks later Sirius did a major over haul of its programing, playlists and some of its stations. This has happened twice since I have been a subscriber. This demonstrates to me that Sirius is serious about pleasing their customers.

Based on my experiences I even bought some Sirius stock. It is a penny stock right now but I have seen over a 30% return on it and I am not worried about it for the long haul.

Anyway, anyone interested Sirius will not be dissapointed."

djb

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I'll be installing my Audiovox tuner this weekend in my car, hopefully, so we'll see how well it works out.

Jason

6. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

You guys can't possibly be Sirius we all know XM
    Rules! [​IMG] (Heel boys, Heel.. Just ribbin ya!)

7. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

8. Jeffrey D Smith

Jeffrey D Smith Stunt Coordinator

9. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Not sure if I'm totally off base here but does Sirius have Jim Rome available?

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I had sirius and used to catch some of the public radio shows like world cafe on some of the entertainment channels, beyond that I can't comment.
    I recently canceled my sirius account because they "accidently" billed my account for a YEAR instead of a month in may [​IMG]

11. Jeffrey D Smith

Jeffrey D Smith Stunt Coordinator

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

they weren't willing to help. The worst part about it was I was between jobs and moving, so the budget was ALREADY tight and it takes ~30 days for the refund to show up at the bank. I was unhappy, to say the least.