SIR-T150 DTV Tuner questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichN, Feb 14, 2002.

1. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

Anyone using a Samsung SIR-T150 digital tuner? Anyone heard good/bad things about them? I have read elsewhere that the S-video output is active (480) even if you have the switch set to output the 1080i digital signal through the component video connections. I don't have one, but was wondering, if this were true, then I could run the S-video signal to my Showstopper and the component outputs directly to my TV. Otherwise, I would have to change the switch setting depending on whether I wanted to watch or record, since the Showstopper doesn't have component inputs. Any info on this product would be appreciated. I don't really want to get a sat tuner because I live in an apt. and would have problems mounting the dish. We have 6 local, digital channels in Phx. that I should be able to pick up with an indoor, digital antenna (I hope). Anyone in Phoenix especially, reply and let me know if you are using an indoor antenna.

Thanks,

RichN.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have the tuner for about 3 mos. and am happy with it. The manual indicates that "when 1080i, 720p or 480p ... the oncreen displays are not supported" for either cocposite or 'S' video unless one selects the 480i resolution. There is a switch on the back that allows one to switch between the 4 choices. On screen displays are for items like menu that give info about the broadcast. So I would guess that they work for the picture delivery. Let me know if you have any more questions.

3. JordanM

JordanM Agent

I had one of the SIR-T150 STB's for about two weeks and its audio output was so low that I called Samsung, and they told me it was defective and that they would pick it by UPS for repair. They did, and had it for about 4 weeks, said it was repaired and sent it back.

Unfortunately, the audio output was still as low as it was before. Eventually, Samsung agreed to buy it back, even though I bought it from a dealer. I received the check last week.

In the interim, I bought a Zenith DTV1080 STB and DirectTV receiver. It is great, and far better than the SIR-T150. It color is better, the audio is fine, it receives all 6 OTA stations in Phoenix, and with a $5/mo family pack subscription to DirectTV, I get HDNet and a few other channels.

Added to my 4DTV/HDD-200 Big Dish system, it's all great! I live in faux Scottsdale (it's really PHX), office in PHX @ Bethany and 7th Street. You?[/size]

4. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

I think I will wait a while longer before getting any type of digital tuner. I just read an article the other day that said Philips has come out with a new IC that should cut the cost of digital tuners to around $ 200.00 by the end of this year. We'll have to wait and see if that actually happens I guess.

RichN