Sinus problems suck.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, May 7, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I hate having bad sinuses. I've had them all my life, along with bad ears. I'm sure both these problems are connected somehow. Right now my sinuses are blocked up, I have a headache in the areas where my sinuses are, my throat hurts, I'm so dizzy I feel drunk, and my ears are blocked and hurt. I think it might be due to the plants, trees, and flowers all of a sudden blooming and stuff the past week.

When I was little, I had ear infections so much I needed tubes. I had 3 sets, starting when was 18 months old. Now I'm hard of hearing due to scar tissue build-up. My sinuses have been bad since I was about 3. My mom and dad used to have to pin me to the bed to unclog my nose from all the build-up my sinuses created from being infected alot. When I was 17 they found cysts growing in my sinus cavities. They had to go in through my nostrils and break my nose to remove the cysts. My septum never healed right.

So does anyone else suffer from sinus problems?

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Stephen, I highly recommend visiting an ENT doc to check out your septum and general nose structure.

I've been dealing with this crap ever since I can remember. I finally buckled down and decided to do whatever I can to improve it after a particularly bad summer. I had a deviated septum, constricting the left side of my nose, and swollen turbinates on the right side- two seperate problems, each effecting a nostril. I got elective surgery to fix that. The septum was fixed near-perfect (it's impossible to get it 100% even), and though I had a difficult recovery with the right-side, the turbinates were shrunk by removing some cartilidge and tissue. The improvement was dramatic.

However, I still have allergies and am taking Rhinocort and Claritin regularly. I will also get a skin test to determine exactly what I'm allergic to and perhaps take steps to alleviate the causes, such as using an air purifyer.

Overall, I'm much better off than I was.

If you have medical insurance, I see no reason not to take care of the problem.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Mike is right. I would check with your family physician. Perhaps you do have a connection, and the state of medical support for sinus issues has improved over the years.
    Also, I think having a Sinus problem blows.[​IMG]

4. Dave_P

Dave_P Stunt Coordinator

I've got a deviated septum on the right nostril due to a kick to the face I took in a soccer game a few years back. If I get a cold, that nostril is blocked until the cold is gone. Lucky for me I am not allergic to anything. I heard about this new sinus technique that they have for the septum area. I think it involves a kind of membrane filing that reduces the amount of tissue around the restricted area. It is supposed to be a very easy process that is quick to heal. I wish I knew where to find information about it to post. I just remember reading about this somewhere. I think it is an out-patient service. I've been really thinking about getting my nose fixed so that I can have two clean airways. It sucks to have to sleep with your mouth open when your used to breathing through your nose to sleep.

5. Marianne

Marianne Supporting Actor

I have had sinus problems in the past. I found that taking garlic capsules everyday has helped a lot. In fact I had a chronic sinus infection when someone recommended taking garlic - it worked within a few days. Apparently garlic has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties.

I also avoid dairy products because they can cause excess mucus which can make sinus problems worse.

BTW I haven't been bothered by vampires much lately!

6. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I've had problems with sinusitis in the past and I went to an ENT. They cleaned out my ears and it was night and day. Wow it was nice to hear. Also, I have a deviated septum. At that time, he suggested I have surgery to clean out my sinuses. Basically they scrape out your sinus cavity. Timing wasn't good for me to have the surgery at that time. Plus I have heard that it is quite painful for a couple of days afer. Apparently they shove all this gauze up your nose to stop the bleeding and the next day they have to pull it out. Sounds like there is a new procedure out there that is better. I will have the surgery done some day. It's just a matter of timing.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The most common way to deal with the deviated septum is to, well, undeviate it. This requires a surgeon who really knows what he's doing, because if not, they can screw it up even more (ironically, my own surgeon told me that he had the same operation performed by a friend who botched it).

Btw, it is an out-patient procedure.

I also had the gauge thing. I still had bleeding from my right side and had to go back a couple of times to get successively harsher and larger things to stuff up my nose. The last one was particularly bad and had me taking painkillers for a few days. However, this happens to only about 10% of patients, and with me it was the nostril that had the swollen tubinates, not the side with the septom. That side gave me absolutely no problems.

Either way, you'd be looking at a week max of discomfort for something that'll make the rest of your life easier.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

What is the chance of diminished or lost sense of smell after a sinus operation? Fortunately my sinuses are much better now than in my younger days, when I'd be lucky if I could breathe through one damn nostril. A dose of Reactine a day helps immensely (Claritin no longer works for me).

Anyhow, if I ever have to consider sinus surgery, I'm concerned about psychological problems as a result of losing smell. What are the risks?

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Max, it stands to reason that clearing your nasal passages increases the sense of smell.
    I have no complaints in that regard. Except for when I'm around onions. [​IMG]

10. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"Right now my sinuses are blocked up, I have a headache in the areas where my sinuses are, my throat hurts, I'm so dizzy I feel drunk, and my ears are blocked and hurt. I think it might be due to the plants, trees, and flowers all of a sudden blooming and stuff the past week.

When I was little, I had ear infections so much I needed tubes. I had 3 sets, starting when was 18 months old. Now I'm hard of hearing due to scar tissue build-up."

You are not alone. That is my life to a T!!!!

Tubes, ear aches, etc.....now I believe I have been getting an increase of sinus infections. Unfortunatley I do not know all of the symptoms and have been trying to educate myself. Everything so far points to this as a cause and you post just validated it.

Thanks and good luck.

11. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

For a while after the surgery, maybe a year, I could hardly smell. It gradually got back to where it used to be.

I'm gonna have my septum fixed someday. Right now I'm feeling better, but my ears still won't pop. I have an increase of pressure in my ears, and have been trying like hell to pop them, to no luck. I'm glad it's only my sinuses that get affected when the cold and flu goes around. I used to get hit in the lungs too as a kid, because I had asthma. That was not fun, having your lungs and sinuses all congested. Everyone else in my family gets hit in the lungs.

12. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    I've been suffering from terrible sinus, allergy and asthma problems all my life. I was commonly in the doctors office for sinus problems every three to four weeks up until last year. I even ended up almost dead from an asthma attack from a sudden onset of Asprin sensitivity.

What I had done last year was a few things. First, I started seeing a new ENT/Allergy/Facial Reconstruction guy. I thought it was odd that a ENT/Allergy guy did Facial Reconstruction, but now it makes sense.

He was able to look at all the problems I have Allergy, Asthma, Asprin senitivity and also looked at the drugs and other allergy treatments that have and have not worked for me over the years.

Then he had a CT done of my sinuses. He found chronic sinusitis in all my sinus cavities. He also found that I had a septum that was deviated just enough to cause drainage not to drain. He said if it wasn't for my allergies, he probably wouldn't need to do anything about it, but because I spend all my time with sinus problems anyway, he had to correct it.

So, last June I had my septum fixed and a sinus endoscopy. All done outpatient. I was back to work within a week and the healing from the surgery was extremely fast. It's coming close to one year and I have not had a sinus infection once since the surgery. Not to mention that I can breathe better and sleep better at night. Before the surgery, I had been into the Doctors office pretty much bi-weekly for almost 8 months with a sinus infection that would not clear.

After the surgery healed up and I was feeling better for that, I had a new run of allergy tests done. It's been about 10 years since I last had testing, so it was time. Found out that a lot of my allergies actually changed and I am now taking shots once a week. My allergy problems are getting better pretty quickly and I am now managing my issues with just a claratin and a singulair a day.

I didn't mean to ramble on so long, but your problems sound similar to what I have gone through. I think you'd find that getting your septum fixed would be well worth your time and the week off.

Good Luck.