Single SVS CS-Ultra vs. Dual SVS 20-39 CS-Plus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

In a 14 feet by 14 feet room, would you go for a single SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier or dual SVS 20-39 CS-Plus w/Samson S1000 amplifier?

2. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

2 CS+ subs with S1000

3. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

I got the Ultra and it is placed in a much larger room than yours and it's plenty loud. If I had to do it over I would still get the Ultra. If I needed to add a second sub it would be another Ultra. A single Ultra is probably all you'll need (Actually a single CS+ is probably all you'll need). According to one of the reviews on the SVS site a single Ultra has greater output below 50 hz than a single $3,000 HGS-18. You'll need to subtract approx. 4-5dbs off the Ultra graph to get an accurate comparison since he used 2 subs with the old Ultra driver in the test.

I figured if I was going to own a sub 40" tall that I wanted the best driver SVS sells to put in the tube. I also figured if the Ultra sub could'nt play a particular passage well, that not much else could either.

The two CS+ subs would be louder than one Ultra but they *may* not be as accurate. If you had two Ultras then they would play louder and sound better than the CS+ subs when pushed. I also had not seen any professional reviews of the CS+ sub like I had the Ultra. The one consistent in the Ultra reviews was a very flat loud and low response curve regardless of who did the reveiew. Since my previous sub was boomy, I wanted to ensure the next sub I purchased was flat and could extend strong belwo 20 hz.

Whatever you decide, I think I would start out with one first. Get it set-up so it's working as efficiently as possible and listen to music and watch movies. If you rarely see the red light of the samson flicker, you only need one sub. If the light is flickering often for you and you hear distortion then you will likely need two subs.

4. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Thanks.

So, dual SVS 20-39 CS-Plus vs. single SVS CS-Ultra is like quantity vs. quality, right?

5. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

I second Brian's suggestion: get the two subs with the amp combo...

-THTS

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Sort of, even though I like the CS Ultra better, the difference between the two is not huge. For just a few dollars more, it might be better to go with dual Plus'.

7. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

I have a dedicated HT room that is about 15' wide by 32' long (big room). I started with a single CS-Ultra and S-1000. The Ultra is an amazing sub, but I still had problems with bass levels being uneven in my room, depending on seating location.

I ordered a pair of 20-39+. As you'd expect, one of the 20-39+ didn't quite keep up with the Ultra in the very low end. However, two 20-39+ trumped the single Ultra -AND- evened out the bass level problems I had been having. After my comparisons, I sold the Ultra. That change was more than a year ago, and to this day I couldn't be happier with the bass performance in my system.

Get the two 20-39+!!

Hope this helps!
    -Paul

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd suggest the single Ultra and an eq, and add another Ultra later (Sadharra).

9. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Paul Gere,

But my room much MUCH smaller than yours. Thus, I probably don't have the uneven bass problem.

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

In a room that size, I'd think that 2 CS would take up an awful lot of your useable floor space. You have seen how BIG these suckers are, haven't you? If not, you may be in for a shock. A single ultra is probably more than sufficient for your bass needs in this size room and will not be such a footprint hog. I mean, 14x14 is about the size of my office and I can't imagine sticking a pair of SVS in here, along with the rest of the HT paraphernalia.

11. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

If your room is really 14x14 be prepared for some nasty peaks/dips. Perhaps 1 CS+ with amp to start, if the response is ragged get one of the EQ's and if you still want more output get another CS+ later.