What's new

Single SVS CS Ultra or Duals (1 Viewer)

JimNug

Auditioning
I have a second room system that I am building. The room is completely enclosed and is only 16' x 11' x 9'.

I can put the sub or subs in a corner to achieve some corner loading.

I am most interested in the CS Ultra as I think it is a perfect solution in this case. That said I wonder if I could get away with using only one in such a smallish room.

90% of the usage for this system will be video. The family (that is who will be mostly using this system) is not nearly as bass happy as I am (have a BDEAP-32 and a Crown K2 in the main system).

I am having Jim Salk build me a set of Veracity 1 speakers with a Veracity CC up front and he is building me a pair of sealed Ellis 1801's for the rears.

Any thoughts regarding one CS Ultra vs two in this set up??

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
I think one would be plenty. I have two but my room is approximately 5500ft3. There is a definite difference with two vs one but with the size of your room, one should be very impressive. Unless of course you're like Frank in which case you go for a B4 at a minimum.:)

JimNug

Auditioning
Thanks Eric.

I am thinking that I might even be able to get away with the 16 Hz tune because the room is so small.

If I can pull this off I might end up with a great small room system that is very repeatable for other members. All things being equal it is relatively cost effective as well.

We all know what kind of value SVS represents and I think that the Salk speakers while not cheap by any means are also very value oriented.

The Veracity's in the front with the sealed Ellis 1801's in the rear plus the the CS Ultra should provide me with both a decent audio system and a darned good HT system as well.

I am going to use the Crown K1 (maybe bridged maybe not) and the RAN PE17. I am not sure that bridging the K1 in this case makes much sense.

Anyway all this stuff is supposed to arrive throughout the next month or two. I will try to keep folks posted if there is any interest in the result.

Any cautions regarding the 16 Hz tune for the CS Ultra in this application? Any comments regarding whether bridging the K1 makes any sense?

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jim,

No need to bridge the K1. You will have plenty of power in stereo for the Ultra to reach its full potential. I prefer the native tune of 20Hz for most movies. It gives solid in room response to about 16Hz in my room. It would probably have even slightly better low end in your small room. Secrets of Home Theater and Hifi tested and single Ultra at 112db at 20Hz so I think without a doubt it would get the job done. It's a good read if you're interested.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-5-2002.html

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 16-46PC+ in my 12x11x8ft room.

I could use a third one, coz I'm only clocking my LFE at 115dBC at 6% THD for a 20hz tone. Thats not good enough! :b

JimNug

Auditioning
Thanks again Eric. A good read. I agree. It looks like I should hit 16 Hz without much difficulty in the 20 Hz tune and I think it will be easier on the sub as well.

It will also be fun to compare what will be my small room system with CS-Ultra and Monitors to my larger system with BDEAP-32 and full range speakers. I do define my larger speakers as "small" in the processor set up for HT as the BDEAP is well suited to handling HT low end duties.

This is really going to be a lotta' fun for me because these are really going to be two pretty good but radically different systems that I am going to be able to compare by just walkin' across the kitchen.

In fact one system is equipped with a Meridian processor and the other will have a Lex. That comparison should provide some entertainment as well.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

That is some pretty impressive equipment you have. The kind of stuff most people dream about(myself included). The SVS fit in very well. Pretty amazing when you consider it's only $899. If you have another purpose for the K1, the powered Ultra is $1099. That is the route I would have taken if it were available when I purchased mine.

Ming,

Yeah, that's not very acceptable output.:) You NEED a B4 (or a B12+4). Wonder what that would cost to ship to Singapore?

ErichH

Screenwriter
Jim

I owned a CSU & K1 combo, and used it in a 12X26X8 room. I can tell you that the K1 makes for a perfect solution with the CS. I used 1 side at about 70% gain, and never had thoughts of bridge. I could have, but there was so much headroom with a single side, it seemed to be plenty.

I now have a PCU and it's fine in the same room, but I'd take the K1 combo any day if I had the extra money.

As for needing 2. In my room, it would have been a waste of time & money. I could move small items with one.
These days, people are going for 300% more than they need, so it's down to how much is enough for you. Start with one and see how it feels.

BTW, I did not loose my CSU/K combo by choice. The PCU is part of a rebuild process here.

Good Luck
E

JimNug

Auditioning
Erich,

Thanks for posting. I think it is a matter of head room as well. I have been hoping all along that one will do the trick. It takes up so much less room than two, not to mention being less costly.

Although I am sure that SVS has sound marketing reasons for developing the line the way they have, you have to wonder why they have not done either a 16-46, CS Ultra type sub or an SS without all of the fancy cabinetry.

If I was really trying to make sure I had nailed the sub part of the configuration without doubt for this room, I might have considered that if available. I have to bet that s good part of the extra SS cost is in that fancy cabinetry and to be honest it just does not even appeal to me. The fabric coverings used on the bulk of the SVS cylinder series is very utilitarian and I am not sure that covering the cylinder in veneer is actually an improvement on that.

The fabric makes it look like a base tube and that is an aesthetic that I am at least used to.

To each his own I guess.

ErichH

Screenwriter
J
There may be a slight performance difference with the wood tube over the plastic, but aside from the taller height/lower tuning, perhaps only just a little. Then again, the little things matter sometimes.
I don't have to tell you about the difference between a plate amp and a K1. That's not so little.

I can see why they don't have a non wood version of the SS. Too many models. They already have too many, but it's all good for us.

E

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks