Single/Multi disc DVD players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brooke D, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Brooke D

Brooke D Auditioning

Newbie question(s) here:

It seems that videophiles prefer the single-disc players. Is this strictly because they last longer (less moving parts)? If so, do you think an "occasional" user would still have problems with repair issues?

I'm looking to purchase my first DVD player and I was thinking about a changer so that it could replace my CD carousel changer at the same time. Is this a bad idea?

I'd really appreciate any advice or opinions.

2. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious as well ... my CD changer just died and it looks like DVD carousels are roughly comparable in cost. What about the quality?

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brooke and Doug, I have a carousel DVD changer that works fine (Sony DVP-C670D from a couple of years ago). In audio, it is often found that at a given price point, a single-disc player will outperform a changer. I have always wondered if, at a given price point, a single-disc DVD player will outperform a DVD changer in terms of video quality. I have never seen this discussed. All I can say is that I have never consistently observed video problems with changers relative to single-disc players.

The argument I have seen most often for people not buying a DVD changer is the anti-couch potato one. People will say something to the effect of, "Am I really going to sit on the couch through two or three movies without getting up? I think I can get up after a two-hour movie to switch DVDs in my single-disc player." Some people steer clear of changers because they find the carousels to be clunky. However, I have not heard people say that changers are inferior in terms of video.

Finally, some people with large DVD collections like megachangers so that they can have quick access to their entire collection. So, single-disc players make sense because people don't usually sit on their couch for six hours at a time, and megachangers make sense for people with large DVD collections. Carousel changers are in between and offer convenience, but perhaps too much convenience for some (the anti-couch potato crowd) and not enough convenience for others (the large DVD collection/megachanger crowd).

4. Brooke D

Brooke D Auditioning

Keith-

Thanks for your reply, but to clarify, I have no interest in the changer for watching multiple movies. I'm only considering it so that I could also use it to play music (CDs). I'm wondering if the audio would be lacking, or if I would considerably shorten the life of the DVD player.

5. Han

Han Second Unit

Brooke,
    I once heavily considered a DVD changer as well for a couple of reasons:
    1) Rack space. I know I'd eventually need the space taken up by two components (DVD player, CD Changer), shrunken to one so I could add another amp to go with my 5 channel amp.
    2) Multi-disc movies. This became an absurd requirement, because there's some much messing around with the settings anyway to get to the DTS track of Pearl Harbor: VE, and I suspect the same issue will come up with LOTR this fall. Plus, every DVD changer I've seen or heard about are slow as molasses in changing discs (CD or DVD). So taking 1 minute to switch DVDs on a single disc player instead of 45 seconds on a changer isn't all that different, because either way, you're already taken out of the moment of the movie.
    3) It'd be nice to have a changer for music of the next format.

In short, once the Panasonic RP-72 showed as not having all the features I'd hope for, I figured narrowing my choices to only changers handicapped me from having any great choices. Rack space issues is still a year or more away. And no clear cut winner in SACD versus DVD-Audio also detracted me from fully diving into a changer for either format.

6. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    Has any had this problem with their Sony DVP-C670D changer?
    With some discs the player will start playing a movie perfectly and a out of nowhere the picture will start breaking up and pausing for a few seconds and either go back to the begining of the film or the beginning of the current chapter. Most of the discs are completely clean. Its occurred on Spy Game, Fast and the Furious, Reign of Fire and some other discs. It is not a layer change issue. I would say it occurs on one 1 out of every 5 discs. Everytime it occurs I take the disc out and put it in my Panny E20 and all the discs play perfect. Anybody run into this problem with this player or other Sony players? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

7. Chris Baucom

Chris Baucom Stunt Coordinator

Dean,

Yes, I also have a DVP-C670D and have experienced what you are describing. I eventually took mine back for repair and they replaced the laser (under warranty). It happens much less frequently, but it happened again this weekend while watching Attack of the Clones. Movie played fine for almost 2 hours, but then at the start of the end battle, it displayed some artifacting, froze for a second, then jumped to the main menu. It repeated the problem again at the same point in the movie, so I took the disc out and cleaned it and it didn't happen again.

I think it this player is more sensitive than others to fingerprints or dust on the disc. If you ever hear of a resolution, please let me know.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Including the time it takes to hit Next Disc and Play, the Pioneer 300-changer takes about 15 seconds total to start playing the next DVD.

I also have a bunch of CDs in there, and yeah, it is pretty handy to play music for hours, either sequentially, through a program, or a random shuffle. (Of course nowadays you can do the same thing with MP3s with some extra effort, and a lot fewer moving parts.) VCDs also play sequentially without requiring any action.

Audio quality may not be an issue. If you're using the digital out, then the only variable is the quality of the transport and how (or if) it affects jitter. A changer may not be any worse than a run-of-the-mill single disc player. (As opposed to those gold-encased zero-gravity vacuum-sealed jobs.)

If you're using the analog out, then the DAC in the player does matter. A changer might even be a higher-end unit with a better DAC. The Pioneer Elite changer has Legato Link like the other Elite units.

//Ken