What's new

single gang limitations! (1 Viewer)

JoseLH

Agent
Hello all. Here's my problem....
my new house will be complete next month and I'm trying to get everything ready. I have component, cat 5, and speakers running all over the house. For the TV wall, there is a SINGLE gang box stuffed with three component cables and three front speaker cables. How can I use wall plates so I have the six feeds coming through a single gang? keep in mind that the speakers will be split into two each for a total of 9 seperate jacks! Is it possible to mount a double gang plate to a single gang box? It's no problem if I have to cut a bit of drywall for it. I've been looking at modular wall plates but the single gang only lets me do six jacks. Any suggestions?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If the wallplate is going to be behind the gear, I wouldn't terminate it to a jack, just have the wires go up to the gear and get terminated there. To do this you could simply get a single gang decora trimplate or there is a company called midlite products that makes a single gang plate with a big hole in it:

http://www.pacificcabling.com/Audio%...lite_Jul06.pdf

If you have already cut the wire so it won't reach the back of your gear or you really want to have all the wires terminated to the plate, get a Carlon 1 gang add-on low voltage box/bracket (item number 2545 on the page I link to). This is available at the Home Depot in my area. you cut a hole in the sheetrock and this just sticks onto the side of your one gang box giving you a second gang. If you dont have a box, but just a trim ring you will need to cut out the ring and put in an old work 2 gang low voltage bracket (2553). Either way a two gang trim plate will have 12 openings. Here are pictures of both items:

http://www.smarthome.com/25431.html

JoseLH

Agent
Thanks a ton! I'm going to use that 2545 to add a gang to my wall. The wires are cut a bit short to reach the speakers. Home Depot here I come. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks