Single episode Little House?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg_S_H, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I got a number of e-mail updates from TVShowsOnDVD.com announcing some single episode Little House on the Prairie DVDs from the company putting out the first and second season sets next month. One is a two-parter from season 3, while another is a two-parter from season 2. According to an episode guide, they were aired as two-parters a week apart, and were not aired as TV movies like some of the longer stories originally were.

Is this reason for concern? Is it likely these are going to be put out for the more casual fan who doesn't want to invest in season sets, or can we expect these episodes to be left off future season sets? I realize anything would likely be speculation at this point, but I hope David Lambert can weigh in here. He seems to know a lot of the behind-the-scenes details on the various TV sets. [​IMG]

While we're at it, I've been running through the seasons one and two episode guides. There was a two hour episode called The Lord is My Shepherd that now airs as a two-parter in syndication. Do we have any details concerning the format this episode will take on the upcoming discs?

Reading the episode guide, I'm reminded what a treasure trove these first couple of seasons were. Can't wait for July 8. I only hope Goldhil does a good job with these. $37.49 seems a little light for a full season of hour-long drama.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

3. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

So then the "safe" thing to do is get the new pilot and season 1/2 sets.

My sister in-law is a Little Prarie nut and I really want to make sure we "do right" by what we purchase for her.

5. Chris_Morris

Sounds ok. Though the pilot is already available through Goodtimes, as The Premier. Not sure what if any changes are made on this new release.

Chris

6. David Lambert

Should have better graphics on the new version of The Pilot. Since I already have the Goodtimes edition, I was thinking of getting the S1 and S2 sets, and then judging by the video quality of those whether to re-buy The Pilot.

7. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Thanks for the response, David. I'll just ignore the single releases (except the pilot) and go full speed ahead into the season boxes. [​IMG]

8. David Lambert

The pilot is separate from Episode 1.

9. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I may never have seen the pilot, then. That means the numbers for season one look solid as a rock and, if you read my last paragraph again (I edited it as you were posting), I think it's highly unlikely they'll merge the season two two-parter into one. So, the number's off by one, but I'm sure there's an explanation.

10. Ben_D

Ben_D Agent

I e-mailed Imavision (the studio releasing through Goldhil) several weeks ago because I was worried that episodes would be included in their "edited for syndication" form, as several of the Goodtimes/Time-Life releases were. Their reply is troubling. They say:

"The episodes of "Little House on the Prairie" that are featured in the upcoming seasons are infact the cut versions. The NBC has told us that the cut versions are pretty much the same as the original, maybe a total of 1 minute is taken out of the network version. No full scenes and no dialogues have been taken out. The cut versions just go to commercial a few seconds earlier."

Don't know what to make of all this. My Time-Life edition of the episode "Country Girls" had whole lines removed, which stopped me from ordering any more VHS titles from the series (I was told other releases were also cut, but not all). I'm really curious to see just how "cut" these episodes are. (Imavision is a French Canadian company by the way, which is why the grammar in their post isn't perfect. They have been extremely customer-friendly in replying to every email I've sent, so I am hoping for the best.)

11. Greg_S_H

Greg
    The directness of their response is pretty remarkable, but it's all very troubling. I think I'll wait for reviews now. This show plays every morning on my local station, so I don't know if I can justify buying them if they're cut. Argh!

12. Chris_Morris

13. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I guess I'll read some reviews and make my decision then. If it's all that survives, it's all that survives. No use getting worked up over something that won't ever be seen again. We shall see.