Single Bachelors, what's for dinner?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I had ham slices and crackers.

I need to learn how to cook one of these days. [​IMG]

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I have a standby that is pretty flexible, simple, and only uses one skillet. It is basically a rice dish, the flavor of which can be easily adjusted by using a combination of different sauces.

First, you need a semi deep skillet, I use a 30cm (1') deep fry pan. Take some form of meat (or do without for vegetarian) and chuck it in the pan (works with just about anything but fish - my regulars are pork cops or ground beef/chicken). Add 1/2 of a large can of diced tomatoes and 2 cups of water, bring to a boil.

For flavoring, I will add some premade (store bought) sauces, combined with different curry pastes. For example, tonight I'm using ground beef along with a Jamaican Jerk sauce, Biryani curry paste, and once cooked, topped with Spiracha. By varying the ratios of sauce and curry paste (which, depending on what kind is used doesn't really add heat, but makes for a nice complex flavor), you have a wide variety of tastes available.

Once flavoring has been added and mixed, add 1 cup rice, let boil for a few minutes, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes to a half hour.

If available, I'll also add some onions or other chopped vegies, which I glaze alongside the meat, and/or some chopped garlic clove (or garlic powder).

Works every time. [​IMG]

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    1. Start yourself with one of Rachael Ray's "30 Minute Meals" cookbooks (there are 5 or 6 on the market). Personally I'd suggest her latest "365 Meals". She specializes in fast and easy cooking using regular ingredients found in supermarkets.

2. The biggest thing is to think of cooking as fun and not to let it scare you. Yes, there are measurements and different ingredients mixing, but it's not like chemistry where if you get one ingredient wrong the lab explodes. If you do something wrong, or miss an ingredient, the biggest thing that goes wrong is it doesn't taste right. You learn and will do better next time.

3. It's not difficult, and the more you do it the better you get (practice makes perfect, as with any task).

4. Watch lots of Food Network (especially "30 Minute Meals," "Good Eats," "Semi-Homemade," and "Good Deal with Dave Libermann".

5. As Jeff noted, once you learn a few basic recipes, you can vary ingredients and spices to make a whole range of different dishes (something also emphasized in "365 Meals," Rachel has several "master recipes" which are then varied in multiple ways by substituting a couple different ingredients).

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

a burger at ruby tuesdays.

I'm not single, but the two of us never eat the same meals at the same time, I find it's cheaper to get a pizza or fast food [​IMG]

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I had Delissio rising crust and salad tonight.

I love cooking but I find that I can't be bothered most of the time.
    I want to start cooking more often and I think that Rachael Ray book might be the ticket.

6. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

While I'm married, I work nights and more and more frequently I'm hearing "make something frozen" when I wake up. I'm lucky if I get two properly cooked meals a week.

So tonight was tortelloni and tomato and basil sauce (by those great chefs DiGiorno and Classico), with Sin City on the tv.

I'm not a cook because I dislike the process of cooking so my cooking skills are limited. But when I lived alone I enjoyed baked chicken.

Preheat at 400, melt some butter and coat the bottom of a glass baking pan. Lay out some chicken legs and drop small chunks of butter on em, and some extras on the pan to give them something to sizzle in. Flavor with salt, pepper, garlic, italian seasoning.

Cover loosely with tin foil. Bake for 30m. Turn the legs over and add more seasoning. Cover and bake another 15m. Uncover and let em brown a little bit (10m or so) then I add a couple of bread rolls (5m).

Tasty and easy. I usually did a salad and corn with it as well.

-paul

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Watch the food channel.

You can make great healthy meals without much trouble.

8. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Boca Chili last night. Great meat-alternative if your into that kinda thing.

9. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I've been a bachelor for a long time. I only attempt labor intensive cooking for dates or company.

Last night I broke up a pound of good ground beef. Nuked it for 6 minutes with a bunch of garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, oregano and a splash of soy sauce. Added a can of spaghetti sauce and a small can each of mushrooms and sliced black olives. Served over a bed of angel hair pasta.

It was good. It'll be even better tonight.

I love the Contadina pastas and sauces and they're even easier.

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Yes, being single makes it hard to cook anything too gormet, but besides my steaks and burger nights, here are two of my favorite "Quick-Gormet" dinners.

I stumbled upon this Greek dish that sounds gross, but it's GREAT!

I slightly fry up a can of chick peas with oil and garlic, then I take 2 frozen boxes of spinach and defrost them in the microwave until it loosens up.
    Add the spinach to the chick peas (I leave the oil in the sauce pan) and add a half a can of chicken stock.
    Then I season it up with Itaian spices and Red Hot Pepper. Sometime (if I have them), I'll add chopped tomato. Simmer for a bit, then serve it with vinegar! Mmmm!! This usually goes best along side a piece of steak, but

Here's another 'quickie' - I boil up Keilbasa and make rice on the side. Then I pour mustard over the rice and mix till it's all yellow. Then I slice up the Keilbasa and mix it in with the rice. Good stuff!

11. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Take three Lipton "Side Dishes", preferably of the same kind (but not totally nececssary if you're in a jam).

Open all three packages. Get big pot.

Cook.

Eat.

You can vary the number of packages to your individual preference.

[​IMG]

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I sometimes eat cereal for dinner...

Jay

13. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

LOL thats what I had last night except it was Safeway Select Supremo Classico pizza. Also made a salad with some sliced apples, croutons, baby carrots, tomato and celery.

Anybody else notice that frozen pizza's have really become much more tastier these past few years, especially some of them thin crust ones? I'm starting to prefer the frozen type to the greasy chain store or even some of the better independant pizza places.

For a late lunch today I had a toasted garlic tomato cheeze sandwich. It was quite yummy. [​IMG]

I always keep a box of stoned wheat thins to munch on, a bag of cheezies, sunflower seeds and almond chocolate.

14. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I've been REALLY into the new South Beach cheese pizza. The whole wheat crust makes the pizza taste a lot better than some of the others. Perhaps it's because they have to use quality ingredients instead of the crappy 'filler' stuff that most frozen food items get away with calling dough.

15. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

If you wish to learn to cook, I second the Rachel Ray and Good Eats programs.

If you don't wish to learn to cook, at least eat well. If you have a Trader Joes around, they are a godsend to bachelors. Their frozen stir frys are outstanding and their frozen pizzas are better than any out there and they use all natural ingredients. No preservatives, no chemicals, and they are tasty. They just came out with a carmelized onion pizza that is mmmmm good. Plus they are pretty cheap, even compared to regular processed food.

I'm no health food nut and love to cook, but even I cheat (and go healthy) by shopping at Trader Joes.

16. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Two words: Slow Cooker

Throw everything in one pot, set a timer and meal is done. I made pineapple chicken on the weekend, curry chicken this Friday. Add some rice from another handy appliance the rice cooker and you have a good meal for yourself and one that can also impress others.

17. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

A round of cocktail shrimp. [​IMG]