"Single and the City"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Meyer, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

Anyone else see this shite ? It's obviously a real-life attempt at "Sex and the City", but at least those characters show a *little* emotional depth once in a while.

I watched this utterly detestable show on the We (Women's Entertainment) network called "Single and the City", which supposedly chronicles the dating trevails of a bunch of "typical" New York women. The detestable part of it is that almost all of them are utterly gorgeous models/actresses with huge fake boobs and even the couple others are so fake and pretentious. Four of them are a group of friends that call themselves "The Barracudas" and constantly fret about which boy to go out with and which party to attend while staying at a mulit-million dollar mansion in the Hamptons. It's funny when they talk about how they are "concentrating on their careers" yet one is a friggin' bartender and they make no other mention what the others actually do for a living besides sponge off their mulit-millionaire boyfriends. Another is a 24yo "wall street trader" from London who is v. good looking but entirely vacuous and whom I'm sure is putting on an act for the cameras. There's also some sort of PR person who carries her little dog around with her in a handbag-cum-mini-kennel and throws a fit when she's tossed out of a bar because of it. The show is so totally lame in that the women are pretty much portrayed as being as shallow as a petrie dish and even the ones that *might* have some depth/intelligence (like the trader or another girl) are shown totally as sex objects and ignores anything else that affects them outside of their social life. One other girl is a "model / decoy" that works for a private detective as someone who tries to lure men into cheating on their wives "just to see" if they are cheating otherwise. She also rollerblades with her $2000 pooch (they pointed this out specifically) strapped to her chest and later they show her dancing with her "boy toy" model boyfriend, beginning with at least a 3 or 4 second shot of her massive implants. One laughable scene has the lingerie model weeping over the fact that while she was out cheating on her bf of 1+ years, he showed up at the same restaurant with a coworker. Poor baby. Later, she breaks up with him but ends up going out the next night and exclaiming how she wants to sleep with this and any other guy she can find -- "I hope my mother isn't watching .. *giggle*". It all makes me wanna vomit. Turned it off about halfway through last night.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

You got me interested. [​IMG]
    I'll have to check it out. Sounds like it should be on Fox! [​IMG]
    /Mike

3. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

It was on last year on a channel in NY called MetroTV, sold and renamed this season. It think it was called
    To Live and Date in NY.

Agreed, they are not typical single women. They're a bunch of extremely well connected upper East Siders. The group have nothing to talk about in terms of intelligence. just interesting to look at.

4. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

Actually, the fact that it was filmed probably two summers ago and not last summer makes more sense as I was wondering how they would have handled the whole 9/11 issue.