What's new

Pre-Order Singing Guns (1950) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
811pHluVmvL._SX522_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I watched this Blu-ray last night, and I was pleasantly surprised. The story had more twists and more depth than the average Republic B Western. It held my attention throughout.

No, the star, Vaughn Monroe, does not have the charisma of Roy Rogers or Wild Bill Elliot, but he is backed up by a superior supporting cast.

With the exception of a couple minutes of the film, the 2-Color Trucolor really looks good.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I watched this over the weekend, I agree entirely. It's a lot of fun. I thought it was a really nice production. I found it thoroughly entertaining from start to finish.

I blind bought this on a whim, partly on the basis of this image and recommendation posted in the Trigger Jr thread:

Another new nice release from Kino is Singing Guns with Vaughn Monroe, Walter Brennan, and Ward Bond. I watched this on my projector last night. A great asset is the beautiful Ella Raines in color. The Trucolor in this Blu-ray is excellent.

850__singing_guns_06_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

This is a really gorgeous example of the Trucolor process, and a fun movie. Good sets, costumes, production values, interesting storyline where the protagonist starts out as a bit of an anti-hero, beautiful cinematography, and a great supporting cast of character actors. There songs were not excessive and were cleverly integrated into the film.

You really don't miss the extra colour, most of the time. I couldn't say how much is down to superior/inferior mastering, or lighting/photographic expertise, but on this example Trucolor seems to have been capable of an image quality that is crisper and more sharply focused than some of the later 3 colour systems. It has many of the finer qualities I usually associate with great b&w photography.

Vaughn Monroe does alright, but I agree that he doesn't quite possess the screen presence that might have made him a bigger star. He starred in one other western from the same director, Toughest Man in Arizona. Were it to get the same treatment as Singing Guns, I'd definitely check it out.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Just wanted to say that this, Trigger Jr., and Sunset in the West are incredibly fun "B" westerns. The Trucolor restorations look gorgeous.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just wanted to say that this, Trigger Jr., and Sunset in the West are incredibly fun "B" westerns. The Trucolor restorations look gorgeous.
I just finished watching "Singing Guns" again for the Toby Roan audio commentary and It does look gorgeous. I still haven't watched my Blu-rays of "Trigger Jr." and "Sunset in the West". I'll be doing so in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks