1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Singin' in the Rain SE - "Ultra-Resolution"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GlennH, Aug 27, 2002.

1. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    from the IMDB Studio Brief is this interesting tidbit about the new SE of Singin' in the Rain due next month. A "digital" combining of the 3 color master positives.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Wait until they do "Anna and the King of Cyan".... [​IMG]

4. Rain

Rain Producer

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, I think Richard May meant that the U-R version should exceed the original separations.

As you may know, the 3-strip negs to Singin' In The Rain have passed on, so all that is left are the separation masters. So, if this system works, it should be able to equal the original negatives.

I'm curious to see how the quality is. I hope that the final output is FILM...which is what really matters.

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I think it is on film, Patrick. We tried to book Singin' in the Rain for our September series of Big Screen Classics and were told that it is not available until the delivery of new prints.

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    There may be more in this announcement than meets the eye. Warner has been foot-dragging on releasing older classic films these last few years. Perhaps they were waiting until their own in-house proprietary restoration/enhancement system became available. They must have been working on this system for quite some time. Note than many of the titles that were released were B&W (e.g. North by Northwest) and therefore were not candidates for a Technicolor restoration process.

8. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

Dennis,

NxNW was in full technicolor, not black and white.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    According to some articles I've read, North By Northwest was restored on video by using a VistaVision interpositive (faded to red, though) and a normal 35mm Technicolor print. The color values were assigned to the interpositive, so that the excellent Technicolor process color AND the high-resolution of VistaVision could be seen in the same picture. It was only done for the LDI restoration for DVD, but it is a remarkable process.

It would be fantastic if the same process could be done for film.

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Ooops, I've never gotten around to seeing NxNW. Somehow I thought it was B&W.:b

Edit: strange....the promotional stills of NxNW that I had seen were all in B&W.

11. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

I wonder if Robert A. Harris has any comments on this process? Perhaps you can't tell what the final product will be like until you've actually seen it, but I'm sure you know more about this than we do! [​IMG]

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    RAH is standing on the sidelines quietly waiting to see film.

RAH

13. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

"Ultra-Resoultion" - that must be better than "Superbit" right?

God I love marketing.

14. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I'm hoping they don't "Ultra-Resoultion" out the rain, ala Citizen Kane.

15. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Yes, Warner's guilty of the ol' digital smoothover of "Citizen Kane", but they also came up with a fairly unique process for the universally-lauded transfer of "North by Northwest". I can't explain what they did 'cause I'm as dumb as I am pretty, but that movie looks amazing on DVD. Not sure if the "Singin'" process is, in anyway, a similar one... but I bet RAH could shed some light! [​IMG]

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I've been waiting for someone to come up with a process that can recombine separation masters that have shrunk at different rates. I always figured that with the amount of high-powered computing and digital manipulation we have at our disposal that it wouldn't be long before someone wrote some software that can acurrately re-stretch and re-match the frames properly.
    As I understand it, if this process works then it means that we can finally get true Technicolor restorations of Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz (not those abominations of wacky color that Warner dumped on us), and create archival color interpositives that should keep these films looking great for another 100 years.
    I am anxiously waiting to see how this Singing in the Rain restoration goes. If Warner pulls it off, then it will be a great day for lovers of classic cinema!
    -Lyle J.P.

17. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    There will be a 50th anniversary screening here.
    Neil

18. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Ok, depending on the resolution they were working at, what they really should do is, once having fixed the stretching or whatever problems came up digitally, they should print the Photoshop version of the movie back to film, perhaps the 3 channels separated onto 3 black and white matrices. Then make Technicolor prints from these matrices using the dye-transfer process. They'll get the digital detail work this way, and they'll get pure Technicolor, and it will all be in film.

Depending on the resolution, of course, if it's lower than 2K, fuggetaboudit.

19. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

I for one do not plan to double-dip on this one. The first release looked pretty damn good to my eyes. It's a classic that I am happy to have in my collection and the current DVD is fine.
    If I had an unlimited supply of money, maybe I'd get it. [​IMG]

20. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Rick, baby, it's all that gambling you do.
    [​IMG]