Singin' In The Rain In Theatres?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Strange. Just got an email alert from Yahoo! saying that WB was releasing the film to theatres on November 8 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary. A quick check on an internet movies site showed it not playing anywhere. Anybody have any info? (Alert came from Yahoo! quoting Business Wire with no link available).

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Here are some details:

50th Anniversary Engagement! New 35mm Print! First Time Ever in Dolby Digital!

Recently named to the Sight and Sound Critics Top Ten Poll, Singin’ in the Rain celebrates its 50th Anniversary and we’re proud to present it for the first time ever in a newly-remastered Dolby Digital print.

“Singin’ in the Rain is a transcendent experience, and no one who loves movies can afford to miss it. The film is above all lighthearted and happy. The three stars—Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor and 19-year-old Debbie Reynolds—must have rehearsed endlessly for their dance numbers, which involve alarming acrobatics, but in performance they’re giddy with joy.

Kelly’s soaking-wet Singin’ in the Rain dance number is ‘the single most memorable dance number on film,’ Peter Wollen wrote in a British Film Institute monograph. I’d call it a tie with Donald O’Connor’s breathtaking ‘Make ’em Laugh’ number, in which he manhandles himself like a cartoon character.”—Roger Ebert.

New re-mastered sound in Dolby Digital. Written by Betty Comden and Adolph Green. Produced by Arthur Green. Original music by Nacio Herb Brown and Lennie Hayton. Directed by Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly. With Jean Hagen, and Cyd Charisse. (1952) 103m

~Edwin

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

In the Boston area, it's playing 18-25 December at the Regent Theater in Arlington. I saw a movie there a few weeks ago and there was a trailer running (apparently an original one; certainly not a modern-style preview).

You might have to dig through the local rep/art/indie theater websites/paper mailings to find out if it's on the schedule; WB is apparently not booking it aggressively. Since those little places don't always show up in the regular sites, it sometimes takes a little detective work to find what they've got lined up.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It's playing at New York City's Film Forum (unfortunately) from November 15 - November 21.

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

WB has had a tendency to under promote these classic reissues. Sounds like they've made a minimal amount of prints and are bicyling them around the country. By the time they reach some markets the print could look more like a snow storm I'm afraid. I love the new DVD but would like to take my nephew to see it on the big screen (as it is supposed to be seen fellow HTFers!) Hopefully it will show up in South Florida. Thanks.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I hope it comes somewhere in North Carolina. Even though I've got the new DVD, I need to see this on the big screen.

7. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

It is scheduled to play in Dallas at the Magnolia from November 22 to 28.

8. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

It's playing at Seattle's Cinerama, at least until Harry Potter 2 comes out, IIRC.

9. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

Chicago's Music Box Theatre Dec. 25-31st i think..

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I am hoping it comes to theaters in Atlanta.

After seeing the DVD, I HAVE to see this on the big screen.

11. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

The Castro Theatre in San Francisco will have it from Nov. 28th to Dec. 4th.

12. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter