Singer/Song writter who needs a break...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Pratt, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

A good friend of my sisters is trying to catch her first break into the music industry and needs some help. She's extremely talented, easy on the eyes, sings in both english and french and has already cut her first demo CD which I can send samples of to anyone that's interested. My question is what should she do next?

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

I'm in a band myself but since I live in Norway I can only give you a few pointers.
    First off, here in Norway we have something called freetrax that's on the web where you can upload demos. These demos is then put up the website for everyone to listen too. But the cool thing is that the record companies listens to the demos there as well and if you're talented enough maybe one day you'll get a call. Try to see if there is something similar on the web for Canadian artists.
    Other than that. Try and get as many gigs as possible. Sooner or later you're bound to bump into someone that can get you where you want to go. Make sure though that you have enough demos for the club owners to listen to or else you're probably not gonna get to play.
    I wish your sisters friend all the best and good luck. But she has to remember that breaking through as an artist is something that can take a VERY long time, it takes lots of dedication and patience. So don't be discouraged. [​IMG]

3. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

Tell her to upload a few of her best songs on mp3.com. That can never hurt. Other than that, tell her to start taking worthwhile gigs (ie. no more free shows at her old high school...).

After that, if she could conviniently bump into P Diddy Coombs, it'd help a lot.

-Rob.