(sing along) "Grandmother got run over by a teevee..."

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oren, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Bought my grandmother a new TV and her common-sense approach to the whole AV fiasco was refreshing. Have you ever tried to explain to someone 80 years old the difference between composite, s-video, and component? How to use the TV remote to control the VCR, but only after you switch a slider from "tv" to "vcr"? Or what that "vcr/ant" button does on the VCR remote? Or, heaven forbid, the difference between 4:3 letterbox, 16:9, and 4:3 pan and scan? Or the difference between tuner channels and AV inputs--or, worse yet, changing channels on the VCR instead of the TV?

It became clear to me that the whole thing is a complicated mess. It's easy for me to keep track of, challenging for my parents, and nearly impossible for my grandmother.

But on to my question...should I connect cable to the TV or the VCR? If to the TV, then it's simple, straightforward, and easy to use, but requires an output to connect to the VCR to record TV (which is a possibility). If to the VCR (passed through to the TV), then she can record TV more easily, but changing channels could get screwed up if the VCR gets into 'tape' mode instead of antenna (or playing tapes could get screwed up if it gets stuck on "ant").

What's the best way to make it foolproof?

2. Bri~A

Bri~A Agent

What type of connection are you using? I assume coax? if so, when the vcr is off the coax signal should pass right through and be as though the cable was connected directly to the TV. This should give you the best of both worlds.. easy to watch cable (w/ VCR off) and easy to tape cable as well. Hope that helps a bit.

~Bri

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Oren,

You might try hooking things up as simple as you can, and then simply make up (in nice big lettering) some sort of basic troubleshooting card for her--"if this isn't working, try (1) this then (2) this other" or similar.

4. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Right now the VCR is connected to the TV using coax, but I plan to bump it up to the composite input. And right now the DVD is connected using composite, but I plan to bump it up to the s-video or component video input.

5. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind when upgrading the cables that 80 year old eyes will not see the difference...keep it as simple as possible....I am 41 and i have a hard time understanding basic HT stuff at times, I have a beautiful Maratntz RC2000 rmote that came with my receiver 3 years ago...still in the plastic....*sigh*