Sinclair Broadcasting to preempt "Nightline" reading of names of dead US soldiers

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MickeS, Apr 29, 2004.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

2. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Nothing good can come of reading those names on the News at night. It seems too similar to body count reports during the Vietnam war. All I see happening on one hand is more jingoistic patriotism and on the other hand spurring more divisiveness in regard to the Middle East. And being that this is the HTF, thats all I have to say.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Perhaps. In the same spirit, maybe they should stop showing political debates, the state of the union address, war news and anything else that can cause "jingoistic patriotism" and spur "divisiveness". They probably think the american people can't handle anything more complicated than "The Bachelor".

4. Bruce-E

Bruce-E Stunt Coordinator

All Sinclair does is bring more attention to Nightline now.How many viewers would have stayed up or stayed home to watch it.Now it becames a news story about censorship and media ownership.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

It's a media stunt. Let it run it's course. I won't be watching.

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I don't think reading the names of the dead will sway public opinion one way or another.

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am more upset with 60 minutes showing the pictures of the Iraqi prisoners being mistreated. What is the purpose? The soldiers behind it are being prosecuted. All it will do is anger an already upset population and feed into all of the anti-American rheteric shown on Arab and foreign tv stations.(which is already happening.) This puts our troops in even more danger than they already are.

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

You don't find it newsworthy that american soldiers are mistreating and humiliating Iraqi POWs, when they're supposed to be the good guys? Believe me, "60 minutes" will not inflame anti-american hatred, there are other things to do that.

We're in trouble when it becomes wrong to report bad news from a war (of which there are plenty in any war). I don't think troop consideration should be a huge factor when choosing what to show, unless it's related to strategic developments.

/Mike

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

It seems we've had bad quality news long enough that we actually reject things that are news worthy. Reading names, as it has been described, is a neutrel action. You can consider it an honorable thing, a way of showing those who gave the "ultimate sacrifice" or you could consider it a reminder of war's costs. The thing is, it's true. It's news.

And the Iraqi soldier photos are news. It's not the job of news organizations to play to one side or the other; it's their job to report the truth. To seek the truth. Many have given up on this. Probably a combination of laziness and fear of being called partisan.

Sinclair's move angers me, and should rightly upset those people in the markets it effects. Not only are the airwaves subject to puritanical cleansing, but also political cleansing? Disgraceful.

10. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    All this controversy from the same network that's going to raffle off a baby to a childless couple.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of the network altogether. They've reached a point where you can't even be certain naming off the names of dead soldiers is a political message, a ratings grab or something else entirely.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

First of all, the controversy does not come from the network, bur from the station owner Sinclair Broadcasting. Second, they're not going to "raffle off a baby". Stick to the truth.

Third, does anyone really believe that the listing of names and pictures is a ratings grabber?

/Mike

12. Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard Stunt Coordinator

I want to be careful to avoid making a political comment, but I agreed with the rationale that Sinclair gave for their decision. According to the Washington Post:

My concern is that the major networks, including ABC, continue to focus on negative side of our involvement in Iraq. I agree that is a legitimate topic of discussion. However, when you add to the negative coverage a listing and photo of each casualty, you are playing to people's emotions and not their intellect. I do not object to honoring our war dead. Far from it.

If Nightline truly wants to honor our brave soldiers who have fallen in battle then they should honor them by telling us about why the died. Some deaths may have been senseless while others may have been heroic. By not explaining why they fell or what they died defending, Nightline is simply succombing to theatrics.

Finally, it's not like Nightline is being preempted by a Seinfeld rerun. Apparently, Sinclair is going to be running a Nightline-style show on its decision not to air Nightline that night.

13. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

What Koppel says:

This reminds me of recent Mel Gibson movie. Take away the context and some people praise it.

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

This is a perfect case in that I believe if a local station is an affiliate of the bigger networks they should not have any say into what they air if its from the big network. They should not have the option to preempt or not show a particular broadcast because they "feel" that "their" viewers don't want to see it. They are a network affiliate and that should mean they show what the network has scheduled for that time period.

I can't stand when a major show is moved because of a sporting event or because the local old morons who run the local station don't like a topic so they decide that if they don't like it then their viewers shouldn't see it either.

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It would be REALLY theatrical if only "heroic" ( by which measures?) deaths were deemed worthy of remembering. Unfortunately, that's how most news already are (just look at the reporting of the death of Pat Tillman). It's refreshing to see all deaths given equal weight, since every life is equally valuable.

/Mike

16. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Emotions shouldn't always be detached from intellect in reasoning a situation.

Really, people should be much more in arms over these famous trials that are getting so much coverage; those are not news. We've come to expect gossip instead of news because real news offends too many people.

17. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Sinclair must really need some favor from the FCC. After all just look at the way they handed DirecTV to Faux news owner Rupert Murdoch on a silver platter.

18. Adam Lenhardt

The Passion was an artistic endevour with an established context. I would hope that we hold our media to a somewhat stricter standard than a fictionalized accounting.

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

From http://www.sbgi.net

IS this really happening?? They are "aware" of ONE person who opposes the reading of her husband's name, and they decide to stop the broadcast??

/Mike

20. Adam Lenhardt

Here's the kicker; is there mostly negative news to report, or do we only think it's mostly negative because of what the media tells us?