Since when did Warner go bilingual on the Canadian covers?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Rob Gillespie, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Just received Corpse Bride from a well-known UK online retailer and the cover has english/french on it. I always thought I was safe from this retarded idea with Warner, but alas, no more.

Looks like I'll have to get practically all my discs in from Amazon US from now on. Crap.

2. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Batman Begins was their first.

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Yeah....that was the first Warner title that I imported from Amazon....and it won't be the last either. The new Harry Potter film is next on my list.

4. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Yes, unfortunately Warner joins the ranks of the stupid. I am sorry for the relatively harsh language but I find this practice most annoying. It has made me have to buy from the US which is not very convenient especially when prices are quite good on release day localy.

we discussed this in the Canadian US differences thread a while back.

5. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

I don't buy any dvds in Canada anymore. Luckily living on the border makes that easy.

I believe the only studios left that have english only covers are Disney/Touchstone and Sony. Have I forgotten any?

6. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

Maple Pictures/Lionsgate - but they rarely have any alternate language tracks so it wouldn't be an issue.

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

This is definitely something to complain about at the upcoming chat. It's especially hard for those of us that eat up their box sets every other month. I hate importing these because there's no way in hell that a box is going to ship out and arrive in 100% pristine condition without suffering some bent corners or dents. So that means travelling to the US to pick up DVDs which is not exactly convenient... Luckily most of their classic film series have received seperate English packaging, but I just hope that Batman Begins is not an indication of what's to come in future. I've still yet to pick up the Deluxe Edition, in fact I had a 2-disc set that I never opened and recently sold due to the bilingual packaging and am now waiting to pick it up next time I head up to Stowe to go snowboarding... I don't see how this benefits anyone, and I'd be just upset if a foreign film release were 'Americanized' with revised titles in other languages and cluttered spines, etc. I've yet to encounter any French speaking Canadians who appreciated this practice... as if they're not going to figure out what Batman Begins is unless the nicely designed artwork on the cover is messed with and titles reworked.

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Yeah... "Batman Begins" pissed me off. Nice way to ruin decent artwork. Star Wars:ROTS was an even bigger piss-off, as now the spine didn't match ANY of the previous movies. [​IMG]

What annoys me most is the reversible covers that have both french and english on BOTH sides. If you're going to the effort of making a reversible cover, make one side TOTALLY english, and one side TOTALLY french. Everyone is happy.

I've taken to printing my own covers to replace these bilingual ones. (Hell, I started doing printed covers to replace the much-hated "snapper" cases anyway...) *sigh* Batman looks awesome now, and all my SW spines match.

9. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Hey Tony, hope it does not upset you enough to kick yourself in the... never mind. Old Star Wars thread reference...

10. ChristianB

Just a head's up...I saw an ad today for the upcoming new Blue Thunder DVD and the artwork was bilingual. That would indicate that Sony is boarding the bilingual bandwagon...

Still waiting to confirm. [​IMG]

11. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm frightened that you remember that Rolando! (Especially as I've been away from these boards for a while!)

I just replaced a bilingual cover for "House of Wax" with a new one... it just looks CROTCH-KICKINGLY good. [​IMG]

12. Shane_M

Shane_M Stunt Coordinator

I think it's some recent stupid law recently passed in Canada that makes them have to put bilingual covers on all movies. I could be wrong though.

I order all my stuff from Amazon.com because then I get all the disc as announced rather than missing extras to add a French track.

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    But we've said it before: why not print double-sided covers then?
    Even simplifies the work on the art design for them (and Warner lost the snappers, so they can choose this solution too).

Cees

14. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

I was going to say I had not seen you in a while Tony but I have been a bit busy myself so I figured it might just have been me!

Always cool to see canucks around here.

15. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I agree with everyone above. This has pissed me off since it first started and now I order everything exclusively from Lasers Edge. The argument that Canada is bilingual holds no water here. How long have CD's been around? How many bilingual CD covers are there? None. Books? Nope. Magazines? Notta.

With the exception of printed cardboard covers this whole discussion goes away by simply including a double sided insert. French on one side, english on the other as everyone here says.

16. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

[​IMG] Good to "see" you again Rolando!!! [​IMG]

17. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

I am not aware of any such law that exists. I believe the studios are doing this voluntarily. There's 7 million people in Quebec and so they are trying to please them while at the same time avoiding having to do a seperate run for them alone.

I also more wonder what they are thinking when they include the French dub but no French subtitles. That to me is an almost even bigger scam. I can live with my covers, but I can't help but wonder how the French feel about it.

18. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Agree that the covers could be handled more sensibly, even though it doesn't bother me when they're bilingual. I get bothered when English content gets dropped though.

But we should have sympathy for our French-speaking HT brethren, the ones who watch/listen like we do. They often get half-assed French content, like maybe a 2.0 track. And they are like most of us, prefer to listen in the native language with French subs rather than to a dub. But often there aren't French subs if there's a dub track. Hell, from what I've gleaned from here, lots of English-speaking people have English subs on when they listen to an English track, if English subs available. That's what I mean by half-assed bilingual discs, just piss everybody off because it serves nobody well, at least very often.

And how do people like the "warning" screens in both languages, everybody has double the number of them to sit through, usually you can't skip them these days. I watched one movie recently that had *eight* of them.

Anyway, at least English-speaking people have the option of getting "clean" discs from the U.S., no such option for R1 for French-speaking people.

19. Jeremy Brupaste

Jeremy Brupaste Stunt Coordinator

Related, but unrelated:

I picked up the new CD from The Strokes, and there's a bilingual Parental Advisory label on the front. It got me thinking: if you need a bilingual label to tell you there's swearing on the disc, then you probably don't understand English. If you don't understand English, then the swearing won't bother you.

So why is there a label???

20. ChristianB

Quebec represents 25% of the home video industry in Canada, so the studios aren't going to ignore them, they'll cater to them along with the rest of the country.

Has anyone noticed that when you buy a videogame, Nintendo Gamecube games have bilingual packaging, while Playstation 2 and XBox shrinkwrap a bilingual cover and a French instruction manual around the game box? Think some PC games are this way too...

This is a complete waste of paper (and time and ink and money as well) and when you remove the shrinkwrap, INSTANT GARBAGE - I toss the bilingual cover and French instruction manual in the RECYCLING...so what is exactly the point.

I believe this all started in early 2002, when SIX people (that's the rumour) complained about English-only DVD packaging in Quebec. I firmly believe Quebec should only have bilingual packaging... no offense, but it really has no relevance on me living here in Southern Ontario. We have so pretty DUMB language laws if you ask me. For me...English only please [​IMG] Thank goodness for the great exchange rate and deep discounts at various US etailers.