What's new

SInce we are still waiting for the Outlaw preamps, what's out there around same cost? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Looking hard to replace an aging Technics SHAC500 D. Looking for more refined stereo and great DD and dts processing to boot in a prepro that has 5.1 inputs for DVD-A. Is there anything out there that I could possibly audition from a dealer in the sub $1000 range? Receiver you say?? Won't that just kill my noise floor?

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
How about a Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080 for less than $400 new?

I and others found this unit on Ubid for about $309-349 plus about $35 shipping. Mine should arrive today, so can't comment on it's quality yet.

It doesn't have the newer surround modes such as DPLII etc, but does have 6 channel analog bypass for DVD-A/SACD and DD/DTS. Considering it was $1200 list, it may be a "bridge" product for some (of us) who can't wait for the outlaw and need something of reasonable quality to hook up a DVD-A source to. At least 2 separate auctions for multiple batchs of the 9080 were on UBid in Dec. I'd imagine that Sherwood is finally going to introduce something new at CES soon, so these units are being dumped.

Keir H

Second Unit
Thanks Art! I heard from John Morris (i think) that they maybe out of em just that quickly. I wish I would have known.. I hope I could buy one of these used somewhere from one of the guys...

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If you look around you should be able to find a used Sony TA-E9000ES for around $5-600USD this will get you first rate 5.1 processing and a very capable 2 channel unit (esp if you update the firmware to version 2 or higher (free upgrade BTW) If you want to add SACD and or DVD-A add the TA-P9000ES from Oade.com for $450 this is a seperate add on that has multiple 5.1 inputs and was recently reviewed by Stereophile as being very good (class A)

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
youssserrr,

So, you spend $600 for the Sony, add another $450 for a gadget to give it 6 channel analog in, and then you need 3 prs of cables specific to hookin only these 2 together, never mind the sources, say $100-200, so you are talking $1250-1350. I don't know how great that is for a new purchase. Maybe if you already had the 9000 and had to look at dumping it or patching something together, but you are way over what an Outlaw will cost, and just about in the used B+K Ref 30 area amongst others.

W

Will

Outlaw's last newsletter says they were "fully confident that"
the 950 will ship by January 14 or so. Believe it or not :)
as Ripley would say.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Art you're right in that it would cost more then the Outlaw...but the Sony has a proven track record and is available now;) If the outlaw is what it might be then I agree it might be a better choice but until we get some credible reviews thats speculation. Also for what its worth most argue that seperates are better sounding so whats the big deal about adding a seperate pre amp (TA-P) for your music? IMO it makes perfect sense to keep the processing away from the music if possible for the maximum sound quality.

Nick L

Second Unit
I would look at the Harman Kardon Avr320. It can be used as a pre/pro and has 7.1 ins and outs. And you should be able to get one for a pretty reasonable price.

Nick L

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks