What's new

Sinbad- Legend of the Seven Seas DVD (1 Viewer)

John KB

Second Unit
Any opinions on this title? Is it worth a blind purchase? I generally like animated movies, but haven't heard much about this one. I can't seem to find a review either.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
It's a pretty good title and if you like animation, worth the time. Certainly the transfer is flawless.

The story? Well, most of the plot elements are very predictable but it's a good yarn.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
how is this compared to the live action harryhausen movies of old?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw sinbad in the theatres.. its not competely bad, but not great either. there are a few great moments of animation.. its lot like disney's atlantis in sense that it could of been a live action movie.

JACOB

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
The reviews for the movie were very harsh. It's worth checking out though - the film isn't very faithful to the stories that inspired it, but the voice acting is great, the dialogue is witty (even some clever sexual innuendo), the action is inspired, and there is a great theme of redemption. It's too bad nobody bothered to check it out in theaters.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Highly recommended, I loved it, superb animation (2d and cgi), good story, plenty of action. The anamorphic dvd was flawless, the colors were vivid, the picture crystal clear, the sound, perfect!

Sadly traditional animation is going the way of the dodo, soon only Japan will continue the 'ancient' art of hand drawn animation. Sinbad had a hefty amount of cgi in it, which admittedly looked fantastic.

Star voices include Brad Pitt, Catherine Zeta Jones and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
There's been nothing concrete to suggest that Disney will abandon tradional animation. All a bunch of hearsay and speculation in my book. Show me the press release that confirms that they are abandoning 2D animation, and I will retract my statement.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Show me the press release that confirms that they are abandoning 2D animation, and I will retract my statement.
[Waves press release at monitor] Now retract that statement!;)

Jeez calm down people, it's only the end of traditional animation as we know it, it's not the end of the world. We'll just have to get used to caricatured cgi'd humans looking like toys and fishy stories for our non-anime animation fix in the future thats all. We'll get over it.:frowning:

At the end of Roger Ebert's review for 'Brother Bear' he had this to say "Variety says this will be the last 2-D animated film from Disney for the foreseeable future; the studio is switching to the 3-D style originally popularized by Pixar. Both formats have their strengths; one is not better than the other, simply different."

I'll miss the Disney hand-drawn animation, it was a true work of art!

GeoffBr

Agent
I agree, the reviews were harsher than the film warranted. The animation is more than passable, and although the plot isn't especially inventive, you could do much worse. Of course, I also thought that Treasure Planet was far better than its box office receipts let on as well. I'm not sure it was worth the $150 million it cost, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I blind bought it yesterday and thought it was quite good. The picture and sound quality was great and the story was good. As previous posts said, lots of CG background which looked VERY 3D. I'd give it a :emoji_thumbsup: .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks