Sinbad and other Harryhausen movies?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jack_TN, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

I saw a couple of the Sinbad movies on TV the other night and it reminded me how much fun the Harryhausen movies are to watch. I seen Jason and the Argonauts a number of times over the years and always enjoy it. The places like Amazon and DVDEmpire show the Sinbad movies as being released on DVD tomorrow, July 1st, but Columbia House already has them listed and from searching posts here, it looks like they're already available.

Anybody know about this? Are these new editions coming out tomorrow? Also, any recommendations on other Harryhausen movies I should check out?

Jack

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The reason why they are shown to be "released" tomorrow is because it's a re-solicate. Tomorrow is the date that Columbia/TriStar Home Entertainment officially takes markdowns on those DVDs.

These days most retailers - online and offline - simply have it show up as a "new release", but at the lower price.

Check my Weekly Roundup 7/1 thread in the HTF's "Coupons & Bargains" section (link to the section in my sig; click on my face!) to see what prices these are marked down to. It's near the bottom of the first post.

3. Jack_TN

Thanks, David. I hadn't checked the Roundup this week. Great job you do on it. Just wish I had the budget to get everything I see that I like [​IMG]

Jack

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Dave, I saw the markdown at the "roundup", do you happen to know if the box set is also markdown?

5. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    My favorite Harryhausen flick is Earth vs. the Flying Saucers. It's fun too, but not the same style as the others you mention.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Steve_Ch: Yes! It was listed there:

7. Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey Second Unit

Terry Hickey
    "First Men in the Moon" is also a good one with Harryhausen special effects. Also "Jason and the Argonauts" is my all time favorite of Harryhausen works.

8. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Here is my current list of favorite Harryhausens all with great DVDs (although they share supplements in many cases):
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
    The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
    Jason and the Argonauts
    Mysterious Island
    Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger

I'd recommend all of them both for the great animation and because they're all really fun films.

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Thanks again, Dave, hopped over to DDD, the set is $38 and change, shipped, it's a deal[​IMG] .

10. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Just a quick update on the Harryhausen catalog on DVD:

Columbia has released all 10 of their Harryhausen films:
    It Came From Beneath The Sea
    Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers
    20 Million Miles To Earth
    7th Voyage Of Sinbad
    3 Worlds Of Gulliver
    Mysterious Island
    Jason And The Argonauts
    First Men In The Moon
    Golden Voyage Of Sinbad
    Sinbad And The Eye Of The Tiger

Warner Bros. has released
    Clash Of The Titans
    and announced at the last HTF chat that
    Valley Of Gwangi and
    Beast From 20,000 fathoms are on the way in October.

That just leaves Fox's
    One Million Years B.C. still to be released.

11. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    What about "Animal World and Mighty Joe Young?" [​IMG]

12. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    MIGHTY JOE YOUNG will come from Warner Bros eventually. But I would be totally shocked to see a DVD release of THE ANIMAL WORLD. This was an Irwin Allen "documentary" from 1956 which featured about ten minutes of Harryhausen's table-top dinosaur animation (in fact, his first color animation footage outside the Puppetoons). The other 70 minutes of this movie are terrible. I have a DVD made from a 16mm to VHS dupe of this film and can tell you that, when compared to any of the Disney True Life Adventures (and especially such high-tech films as MICROCOSMOS and WINGED MIGRATION), THE ANIMAL WORLD is a joke. It will almost certainly never see the light of day on video again. The animal footage is arbitrary, poorly organized, and with insipid narration that makes Winston Hibler's or Rex Allen's seem scholarly. But I still think Warner Bros. will blow a good opportunity if the ten-minute Harryhausen sequence isn't included as an extra with either GWANGI or BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS. It's crude stuff, but historically important.

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I really enjoyed watching Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger the other night on TCM. I remember my mom taking me to go see it in the theater back in '77 in Sydney. I definitely have to pick up the DVD, but I just wish they used the original poster art. I think the poster for Eye of the Tiger is one of the best, despite the loud red text.

http://www.movieposter.com/cgi-bin/s...NG&pid=A70-951

14. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Yes! That is a great poster, and one I used to own years ago but had forgotten all about, so thanks for providing a photo of it. Movie posters used to be SO much more interesting, and this is a good example (Now half the time what you get on a poster is just a head shot of some actor's face. Totally worthless.)
    I saw Eye of the Tiger at the drive-in, and although I don't think it is on a par with the other two Sinbad films, it is still a lot of fun to watch and I'd love to own it and everything else by Harryhausen (except for maybe Clash of the Titans...That one just didn't do it for me.)
    I feel sorry for all those kids growing up with CGI as the standard and never knowing anything else. When it comes to live action films, I'll take stop motion animation effects over CGI any day of the week.

15. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Compare the above poster with the actual DVD artwork:
    [​IMG]

Blech! There's simply no comparison. If the DVD had the original artwork it would have looked infinitely better. I'm still going to get the DVD however and perhaps print out a copy of the original poster to insert in the case. [​IMG]

16. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Blech! There's simply no comparison. If the DVD had the original artwork it would have looked infinitely better."

Yeah, that is awful. I think you have the right idea in coming up with your own more faithful cover...

"Movies like the original King Kong, Ray Harryhausen movies and Star Wars(before they went CGI) inspired me to mess around with stop motion animation and explore the camera when I was a lot younger."

I did the same thing. Seeing The Golden Voyage of Sinbad on the big screen later inspired me to break out the modeling clay for use with my Super 8 camera...nothing like building little sets and bringing your own little clay monsters to life in order to destroy them!

17. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

LOL! I used various action figures and Play-Doh to make characters. Unfortunately Play-Doh doesn't hold up too well under the sun for prolonged periods of time. At least Super 8 was good for that kind of stuff! [​IMG]

Then my dad would come along and say "here lemme show you how it's done" and start filming these long, roaming shots of my subject, forgetting all about the fact that it's supposed to be animated. I guess the concept eluded him.

On a related note, while watching Golden Voyage of Sinbad as well the other night it dawned on me that Sinbad was also in 2 Myster Science Theater movies! Diabolik and Space Mutiny. [​IMG]

18. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

Having just returned from Wonderfest in Ky.and meeting Mr Harryhausen at the show,he is a kind and humble man.He showed us some of his early work and we saw The 7th Voyage of Sinbad on the big screen at a local theater,along with his completed Tortoise and the Hare short which he put on hold in the 40's and finally had completed.Then back to the show for a veiwing of The Golden Voyage of Sinbad with Carolyn Munro,who stared in it,hosting it.She looks just as good at 50 something years of age as she did back in the 70's when it was filmed.Having pictures taken with them and autographed pictures rounded out the event.Mr Harryhausen was on his way to LA for his star on the walk of fame event on Monday.A memorible time for all there.

19. Jack_TN

When I was watching Eye of the Tiger the other night, I kept thinking "That girl could pass as a double for Jane Seymour". I was really surprised to find out it was her! [​IMG] I didn't know it was made in 1977. It still had the same look as the earlier movies, though it was missing the great 'Baghdad-style' doors on the ship, like in Golden Voyage. Those were great [​IMG]

Jack

20. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I'll never forget sitting in a theater as a kid and watching the ship's masthead come to life in Golden Voyage...the creaking sound of the wood as the masthead turns to look at a sailer before grabbing him by the neck and tossing him overboard...awesome!