What's new

Sinatra boxed set Complete Columbia Recordings alt takes? (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I received in the mail today the Complete Columbia Recordings of Sinatra boxed set and I was shocked to see that two of Sinatra's hits "A Fellow Needs a Girl" and "So far" were listed as previously unavailable alternate takes. Then I checked all the other discs and saw none of the other hit singles were listed as such. Relieved I went online to see if the original versions were available anywhere. The I was shocked to find this web page indicating many more songs were alternate takes: http://www.songsbysinatra.com/faq/not-in-box.html. All of Me, Nancy, and The Coffee Song are a few of the hit singles he lists as being alternate takes on the boxed set. I tried to email him but the mail was returned as undeliverable. Does anyone know what the truth is on this matter? I hope I did just shell out a bunch of money for alternate versions not on the original singles.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Is this the enormous 20 disc set of Columbia recordings?

I only have the 4 disc set as I prefer the Capitol & Reprise years better. I was under the impression that the 20 disc set included everything under the sun including main & alternate takes.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Sorry! I've probably got it mixed up with the number of discs in the Reprise set. I've got so much Sinatra (except for the set in question!) that I can't keep it all straight.

I have:
The Complete Reprise - 20 discs
Concepts (Original Set) - 16 discs
Best of the Columbia Years - 4 discs
In Hollywood - 6 discs
At the Sands - 1 disc
plus several miscellaneous that put me over 50.

My biggest hole is that I'm missing the Capitol singles. I've debated between picking up the Capitol singles box or upgrading my Concepts box to the Complete Capitol box, but I love the original wooden Concepts.

Anyway, I'm rattling.

Thanks for letting us know that the "Complete Columbia" isn't "Complete" and as far as that website sounds, it doesn't even include the mandatory. I wonder if my 4-disc set includes the right versions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks