What's new

Sin City -- barebones edition in August? (1 Viewer)

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
I was wanting the case like Tombstone (those cool paper like cases) & not the transfer, yeah I know the transfer isn't that good. I thought Unbreakable had a good transfer though. I should of made that more clearer, my bad.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
i got what you meant Don the sin city se would be cool if the packaging from and extras from the vista series was applied but as long as it had the care bvhv takes over its animated titles

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Same here. In the event that Miramax fails to deliver a stellar transfer on the R1 SE, I'll be keeping an eye on the other regions to see what they'll be offering. It's a safe bet that we'll see some nifty extras and/or packaging from other countries.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
After hearing the SE plans for this one, I'll wait. Might pick up the barebones as a cheap PV at some point if I need to see the movie again, but I think that this film really deserves the all star treatment. Even though I've quit watching most of the special features on many DVDs, this is one of those films where I'd end up watching everything.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

I think Fox is another buig culprit. Not only do they not announce upcomming SEs, they release the SEs in other regions at the same time as the barebones R1 release. No announcement even though it is planned, and materials are obviously ready. I don't know who it is at Fox who feels that intentially keeping consumers in the dark to encourage multiple purchases is not just a slap in the face.

I remember a particular someone high up in Fox's marketing department used to regularly post here and keep us informed on what was going on, within reason of course. Even if the news went like "we, don't think there is enough interest to warrent the expenses of producing SE", " or "an SE being held back to promote a sequel", it was nice to know what was going on. The same used to be true for Paramount as well. The studio going to a greater effort to communicate with their consumers got me to make purchases I might not have otherwise.

Remember, keeping consumers in the light can also be a very powerful marketing tool. :)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Well-said Aaron.

In regards to Fox, there is a solid theory that they are trying to re-establish a rental window for R1 which most of the studios had pre-DVD. Usually the first few weeks a VHS title was released it was priced at or above $49.99 - after rental revenue slowed down the price would drop in order to appeal to those who now might want to buy it. Thus, they were able to maximize the revenue generated by each title.

With DVDs, the prices have remained relatively low, such that they have lost a lot of potential rental revenue from those that simply buy the DVD right away without renting.

Fox's concept, if that is what is going on, is pretty clever and other studios seem to be following their lead. Basically, they offer a barebones DVD that appeals to renters. Fans who would have normally bought the SE DVD now are likely to rent it while waiting for the SE to come out, thus generating new revenue. As an added bonus, to the studios, by not drawing attention to the SE until after a barebones edition has already been released, there is a high probability than many fans who are caught unaware of the SE will double dip, which again increases revenue.

From a consumer's standpoint, I think it’s lousy, but from a business stand point it does make sense. The only way this business model could fail is if at least 90% of the double-dippers get fed up with it, and refuse to buy or rent the barebones edition - and the chances of that happening are highly unlikely.

It could be worse though. I am glad the studios never followed the pricing schedule of VHS.

In the meantime, smart consumers have valuable places like this to go to in order to stay informed on what DVDs are being developed, and when and where they might be released.

(Yet another very good reason to support HTF by sending them a donation and or clicking on sponsors' links!)

I think this is one of those titles that they know will have lots of demand in the DVD market, hence the multiple releases. The studios aren't stupid. If they think that they can sell you (us) the same thing twice, they will try. The way to combat this is to not buy the initial release. Hopefully it will make a difference.

Regarding the transfer, this movie was shot digitally. I would hope that the DVD will be made using a direct-to-digital transfer. If true, a lot of the concerns raised here would become irrelevant, I would think.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Count me in as another holding out for the SE. My budget is tight enough as it is without shelling out twice for all these movies.

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
I too will be biding my time for the SE, practically every interview I read about sin city mentioned how great the SE dvd would be...

the only bright side to the bare-bones release in august is that it will use up that collage theatrical poster as cover art.

if they could come up with a badass cover in the vein of the Hellboy Directors cut, I would be greatly pleased. I was never too keen on any of the posters they used to promote the film in the first place.

heres to some original Frank Miller Artwork for a Special Edition cover!!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Sten F

Second Unit
Don´t be surprised if the 2-Disc, yet again, will be available in Region 3 months before the Region 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks