Sin City -- barebones edition in August?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Haggai, May 9, 2005.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

So sayeth the Digital Bits:

Rodriguez has already talked about including some deleted scenes in various interviews. It'd be annoying if they didn't just get it right by releasing the SE the first time around, but I guess we'll see.

2. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

I will be immensely angry if they do this. If Rodriguez is anything like his friend Tarantino, a special edition will take forever to come out, a'la Kill Bill.

I thought they were supposed to release a director's cut that contained a whole lot of stuff that was cut for the theatrical release AND where you could watch each 'story' seperately.

3. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

guess i'll be waiting then

4. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

ah man! I guess i was really, really hoping the bare-bones and SE would be announced at the same time

damn!

I'll do my best to wait for an SE, but I just love this movie too much to hold out for long

~Jason

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'll hold out. He talked too much about the DVD haveing each story complete. I think he even talked about it as the comic con.

6. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

a digitally shot masterpiece like this needs a blu-ray full bit rate transfer

or at very least a bare bones like this with the bit-rate maxed out

7. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I'll wait for a better edition. If I really have a jones to watch it, I'd pick up the barebones as a PV.

8. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I will be deeply saddened if we are stuck with a bare bones first. We need that SE, BV.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I'll wait for the SE not unlike I am currently waiting for that Spy Kids SE. [​IMG]

Regards,

10. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

Yep. If this SE follows the release pattern of Spy Kids you might get your wish for a blu-ray version Mike.

11. Mike Wadkins

who
    and
    hooooooooooo!!

12. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'm definitely going to hold out for the SE. After reading about all of the material left on the cutting room floor being implemented into separate stories on a future release, I won't settle for barebones. I'll give it a rent on release day just because I'm extremely anxious to see it again. As far as purchases go, it's the SE or nothing.

13. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

This is definitely a movie that NEEDS to come with some sweet extras on the production. I think we all wish they would just get it right the first time, but as with Kill Bill, they're hoping we'll be willing to buy it twice. As much as I want to own this, I'm going to wait for a special edition, provided one is coming.

14. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Speaking as someone who knows Robert Rodriguez quite well, I can promise you there are very few people, let alone directors who have a greater appreciation for DVD than Chef Rod.

The amount of work that he is doing for the upcoming director's cut of Sin City is astonishing! As he explained, he had two choices. Make everyone wait until he completes the work on the ‘SE’ or release a bare bones edition ASAP for those only interested in watching the film. If he made everyone wait, want to guess how much flack he would have gotten from fans then?

I suppose the trouble with the success of DVD and the effect great DVD editions have had on the market is that now everyone wants the best and they want it ASAP with little or no regard to the effort that is involved in making a great feature filled DVD. This is especially true regarding older films that can sometimes take as much as two years to produce depending on the condition of the film and the production limitations of the special features. Not only that, but also many people assume that the director is often responsible for the content and quality of DVD releases, and this is absolutely incorrect. In the majority of cases, the studios have the first and last call regarding a DVD edition. Most of the popular ‘special edition’ DVDs had very little involvement by the director, other than maybe recording a commentary track.

I am just pleased that Rod is taking such an active roll in this DVD despite his grueling work schedule. I also believe Buena Vista deserves credit for letting the public know that there will be an upcoming SE, as this is rarely the case. Most of the time studios (especially Sony) will not tell consumers that a SE edition is in the works in order to boost sales of the bare bones edition.

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm bummed it's going to take longer to see the SE but as other have said, at least we know that an SE is coming. That sure beats buying it and finding out in less than six months that an SE is coming too.

Personally, I really enjoyed the movie and I'll be getting the bare bones disc to hold myself over until the SE. Granted that's not for everyone but I'm just happy the movie is on its way[​IMG]

16. Mike Wadkins

and they do but if they have a hand in the video transfer they deserve shooting.

As Mr Rodriguez said in the Kevin Smith interview the look of the film was a major thing.
    I am not just talking the look but important things such as black level and color saturation / separation and so on.

He must be a busy man not knowing him but being a huge fan he seems to never stop working, but this movie needs a criterion style director approved transfer from hd master to dvd authoring.

if BVHV "do a kill bill" and let an over filtered edge enhanced filled mess of a dvd out to stores then forget the extras the film is ruined.

The film's tone and color and sharpness is a main character if this part of the encoding process is botched in anyway they will lose a sale here.
    Saying that knowing how much i love both Frank Miller's and Robert Rodriguez work,
    and knowing that the dvd features (judging on previous Rodriguez DVDs)would be something where i would watch every minute of every extra is a big loss to me.

I know im judging before it is even made but all i can say to BVHV is once bitten .....

17. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Whoa, Nils, that's pretty cool that you're buds with RR. I did some whinging when I started this thread, but TravisR is certainly right to point out that we won't have much room to complain if we definitely know about SE plans upfront, before any initial bare bones release.

Next time you talk to the man, Nils, send him a shout-out on my behalf for making such a brilliant movie. [​IMG]

18. Don_Limey

Don_Limey Stunt Coordinator

I hope they make the SE edition a VISTA SERIES two disc edition with like a cool case ala my favorite Vista Series one which is Tombstone Directors Cut. Buena Vista hasn't released any Vista Series double disc editions lately, their last releases where those 2 disappointing single disc editions of Signs & The Village.

19. Mike Wadkins

great extras poor a/v again [​IMG]

20. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I agree with Mike. If the transfer on Sin City follows in the footsteps of most of Disney's live action film DVD releases, I won't buy it. Here's hoping the RR is on top of things as far the video quality of the eventual release goes, and has the clout to refuse to sign off on it if Disney effs things up. Sin City needs a top-notch transfer. Everything else is secondary as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, the video quality of the Tombstone Vista Series transfer is really atrocious. It's a perfect example of what we DO NOT want to befall the Sin City transfer. All of the extras in the world don't mean a thing to me if the video and audio presentations aren't top-notch.