What's new

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
Be interested to see how it performs this weekend.
I'm excited to see it but I think it's going to tank because while fans of the comics will go see it, I think it's about 7 or 8 years too late for the majority of a mainstream audience to remember or care about the first movie.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just saw it, best looking film I've seen this year. Looked incredible in 3D. Story could use some work.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Why did it take so long for the sequel? I mean, nine years?! C'mon, who's gonna wait that long other than diehard Miller/Rodriguez fans? The last time I remember a sequel taking that long was LETHAL WEAPON 4 (1998) after LETHAL WEAPON 3 (1989), but that was tolerable because #4 introduced Jet Li to American audiences and gave Chris Rock a good part.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Chuck Mayer said:
Lethal Weapon 2 was 1989. LW3 was 1991 or 1992.But I doubt anyone cares... :)
:lol:

Thanks. I realized my mistake in the middle of the night and resolved to correct it when I got up, but ya beat me to it.
Those films do blur together in my mind. :rolleyes:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not much interest in this one. Friday estimates from BO Mojo:
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For bombed with $2.6 million. That's off a stunning 78 percent from the first movie, and that's with nine years of ticket price inflation and the addition of 3D premiums. It's also less than half of The Expendables 3's poor start from last weekend. The Sin City sequel could theoretically wind up below $6 million for the weekend, though it's more likely that it earns between $6 and $7 million.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
Not much interest in this one. Friday estimates from BO Mojo:
I'm not surprised but the people who liked the first one would most likely enjoy this one too. I think its financial failure can primarily be blamed on waiting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to make a sequel.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
TravisR said:
I'm not surprised but the people who liked the first one would most likely enjoy this one too. I think its financial failure can primarily be blamed on waiting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to make a sequel.
In regards to Sin City, the vibe I get is that people who loved the first film when they were 25 are now 35 and busy with life (kids starting a new school year, "real" jobs and bills, etc), while current 25-year-olds see it as "old hat" and not all that cool. So, bye-bye audience.

Also, seems like the box office is down across the board this weekend. I wonder if the ever earlier start of the school year for kids (I know some that have been back for two weeks already) has anything to do with it? Not just on the kids films but on the other films as well, since adults are preoccupied with kid/school stuff. It used to be September was the worst month of the year to release something for that reason, and it would make sense that with the school year starting the 2nd week of August that it's shifted that as well.In any case, my review:

The original 2005 film was groundbreaking in its visuals, being the first film to truly transpose a stylized comic panel look to film. While the sequel can't recapture that novelty of being a "new" experience, it's still a unique touch that has the same aesthetic appeal. The stories are generally more of the same seedy noir, some a bit stronger than others (I particularly enjoyed the gambler story with Gordon-Leavett). In the end, the writing could have been a bit more polished for consistency, but it does its job. 8/10

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My 4-word review for Sin City 2 - #GodBlessEvaGreen

I found myself distracted by Jessica Alba's yet-still average acting chops, so her segments were a little more jarring when viewing the film compared to the rest of the cast.

But if you liked the first Sin City film, it's a decent follow-up, though it's been a long time in between that film and this film. I still enjoyed the lighting aspect of the cinematography for this very stylistically framed movie, but the plotline of the pulpy seedy undertones of crime noir feels almost too simplistic and dated.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+. .

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
Patrick Sun said:
My 4-word review for Sin City 2 - #GodBlessEvaGreen
I second that emotion! I've loved Green in pretty much everything I've seen her in, I just didn't expect to see so much of her in this film! But distractions aside, her devilish portrayal of femme fatale Ava Lord helped define this sequel, no doubt about it.

The rest of the cast was good as well, with each of the actors hamming it up in their own way as they chomp down on the melodramatic, noir-inspired dialog. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Josh Brolin, two of the other principle newcomers to the cast, fit in perfectly along the stalwarts like Mickey Rourke and Rosario Dawson. Other than that, the interweaving story format and the over-the-top violence make this exactly the kind of film that fans of the first instalment will walk away grinning from.

3.5 out of 5. Here's my full review.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Still on the fence about this one and thinking I'm going to wait for Bluray. I loved the first one, but as others have mentioned, the sequel feels WAY late.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw this today, and enjoyed it. Maybe a bit too episodic, but a lot of film noir fun throughout. Will look to get the bluray when it comes. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is terrific.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I thought it had some major structure problems, and felt very repetitive (maybe cut back on Marv, a LOT). The first one felt so right and was structured so well (even if it was basically a rip off of how Pulp Fiction was structured). Considering that they had 9 friggin' years to figure this out, it's a shame that the haphazardness of how this was put together pretty much ruins it. I like the actors, and liked some of the stories from a basic stand point, but the flaws stick out like a sore thumb. I will say that the Joseph Gordon-Levitt story was pretty great, if only it wasn't split up in 2 parts like they did with the yellow bastard one from the first. This one just wasn't long enough to warrant a split up, and when it ended I was just thinking "oh, that's it?". I think it would've worked better if it was just shown in it's entirety from the start. Was fun to see him and Christopher Lloyd share the screen again. A Dame to Kill For was so-so, would've been better if some of the non-consequential stuff was cut out (Christopher Meloni). And the Nancy story was pretty good-awful, besides Powers Booth, I just LOVE hating that guy.

Very disappointing considering how pitch perfect the first one was. I know the novelty of the style was always going to have a lesser effect on a sequel, but the problems with this one go beyond that. Just a mess. I'm being generous here, but I guess a C-

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
*Can't seem to edit my post, but I meant that the Nancy story was pretty god-awful, not good-awful. lol!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
^^ Tommy, You can't edit or expand the post after 24 hours.
Vic Pardo said:
Why did it take so long for the sequel? I mean, nine years?! C'mon, who's gonna wait that long other than diehard Miller/Rodriguez fans? The last time I remember a sequel taking that long was LETHAL WEAPON 4 (1998) after LETHAL WEAPON 3 (1989), but that was tolerable because #4 introduced Jet Li to American audiences and gave Chris Rock a good part.
I'm passing on Sin City, Bruce Willis, just doesn't deliver the goods no more after that dreadful die hard 5, on bluray.

I'd sooner watch Lethal Weapon. Saw it at the Cannon cinema screen 1, then few years later Lethal Weapon 2, late night show first day release at screen 1, again a few years later Lethal Weapon 3, at what was then called MGM same screen 1, on newer cinema speakers that was installed JBL 4675-A 5-sreen and 4645 sub that sounded better over the older speakers.

Only time I saw Lethal Weapon 4, was on VHS rental then a few years later bought all 4 separately on region 2 DVD then again when re-released director cut editions came out.

If there was a Lethal Weapon 5 I think it would be taking the piss. Their far too old for this shit now. :P :lol: I'd sooner enjoy the series as they where cracking good fun in there day.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I saw it last night. Enjoyable popcorn flick. It was exactly what I expected. Highly stylized noir, sex, and violence with talking comic book characters.

The 3D really works with this film. Hopefully, we see it on 3D blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks