What's new

Simultaneous DVD/Theatrical Releases (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Has anyone who's had these terrible experiences complained to the theater management (not employees, management)?
It would do no good. All of the theaters in my area are 10-12 screen multiplexes. Hoard them in, take their money and move them out when it is over. Besides, I refuse to pay $7-8 each for the admission plus what I would spend on drinks and snacks. For that kind of money I can own the DVD when it is released (I am patient, I can wait) and enjoy it in real comfort.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
When viewing "True Lies" for the first time with my brother-in-law's wife decided to go into labor 2/3 through the movie and paged us. DAMM HER!!!!!!! We left in a hurry and the manager asked us in the lobby what was wrong and we told her. She gave us two passes!!!:D
But It a was false alarm..
Okay same theater saw cartoon movie with the kids and the sound levels were awful. And it was going from mono to surround and back.. I asked the manager for a refund and she said their was nothong they could do it was a technical glitch...

Saw "Black Rain" and the film actually broke twice..:angry:

Other theaters I have been in never had a problem.. Sound is always adjusted correctly and the projector is working fine. Even though I love HT I still enjoy the experience of going to a movie.

Even if they were released on the same day I would still go to the theater.

Some movies been released on video/DVD BEFORE they are released to the theaters i.e. the Left Behind Films...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

As are the theaters in my area and they're excellent. Why do you assume because it's a megapelx no one will listen? And if they don't, they have corporate offices where a nicely written complaint might do the trick.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
It would do no good because there are few people who even care about the quality of the sound or picture. We had one really good theater in my area. The seats were plush and comfortable, the sound system was deluxe and the theater was clean and neat. It closed down for lack of support. I saw the first "Star Wars" (episode IV) there and it was the last enjoyable theater experience that I have had. I would love to have that back but unfortunately the closest I can come to that experience is in my own home. This is why I love HT. It gives me the opportunity to recreate a theater experience that I will never get again locally.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Man I feel for you guys. The theater here in College Station is crap, but in San Antonio, we have a massive 24 screen AMC theater that's really nice. The floor is clean, the seats are extremely comfortable, and I've never had framing or sound problems. Sure you occasionally get bad crowds, but I've only had that happen a handful of times.

Funniest thing ever though was the first time (lut of 6 thus far) I saw Two Towers, about five minutes before the previews started a guy a few rows in front of me took his cell phone, raised it above his head, and bellowed "They turn off!" Got a good chuckle.

But as for same date, it wouldn't work commercially, not enough money in it. And I wouldn't give up theaters anyway, home theater is great, but there's no way my 5.1 Aiwa rack system and old 24" TV can compete with a theater with a 30' screen and top of the line sound system.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

You care enough, and if you make your voice hear loud enough the management would care as well. Give it a try, because everyone likes to get out of the house every now and then and night at the movies is just a tremendously more magical experience than one at home.

derek

Second Unit
The recent "Left Behind" film with Kirk Cameron was released on DVD and VHS about 6 months or so prior to its (limited) theatrical release. The reasoning was supposedly to get a buzz up and promote an evangelical outreach theme. However there was already a pre-built consumer base from fans of the book series and genre who were all ready to purchase the film sight unseen. The DVD/VHS sales were ASTONISHING (#6 best DVD seller in Oct/Nov 2000 I believe) yet the box office was dismal at $4 million or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks