simultaneous DVD burning

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kevin_V, May 22, 2005.

1. Kevin_V

Kevin_V Agent

Hello,
    At work we archive project data to CD & DVD. Typically we do a minimum of 2 copies (one for offsite). To save time,
    I heard that Nero has a multiple record feature that will let us burn 2 or more DVDs simultaneously.
    I'd like to install 2 identical DVD burners in a PC (Pentium 4/Win2000). Are there any problems doing this?
    Thanks for any & all help.

2. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

no problems at all. i regularly do 3 and more simultaneous burning sessions for clients that need multiple copies of certain projects.

one thing to do if possible is to put the drives on seperate ide cables though. i have three drives all on their own cable. two are hooked up via a pci-ide card.

however, i did this to improve my performance with simultaneous burning of different projects at the same time. i was also able to do simultaneous burning with the same project with standard setup with no problem.

by the way i use nero 6.6.?.? and 3 optorite 1602's and a hp dvd300e.

3. Kevin_V

Kevin_V Agent

Thanks Diallo
    How it will be hooked up is one of my concerns. We will look into a ide card.
    Thanks again.

4. Kevin_V

Kevin_V Agent

Is there a better way to install the new DVD burners?
    The PC has a primary IDE cable to the HD & a secondary IDE cable to a DVD reader. Should I:
    a) connect the DVD reader as a slave on the primary cable with the HD & add the new DVD burners to the secondary IDE cable as master & slave?
    b) Leave the present cabling as is & install a PCI-IDE card. Connect the card to the new DVD burners with a new cable as a master & slave?
    c) Leave the present cabling as is. Install a PCI-IDE card and connect each burner with it's own cable to the card.
    d) or is there another way?
    Any & all help is appreciated.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Option C is the simplest to implement, while also keeping the IDE overhead low for the PC.

6. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

option c.

that is how my system is hooked up.